Author Topic: Future AMP upgrade set - 72nd Type II U-boat  (Read 30263 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Future AMP upgrade set - 72nd Type II U-boat
« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar , 2009, 15:03 »
Hello all,

Another update. We now have our test sheets in our hands. Our PE company changed the size of the sheet, which necessitated a few changes. Although it delayed us, it has been a blessing in disguise. We now have extra space for a few more details. For example, there will now be a brass nameplate in every set.

There were two important factors concerning the test sheets. Firstly, would the anti-slip bumps work? These replicate the bumps that were on the surface of the metal sections and metal hatches of all U-boat decks. Modellers may recall the circles on the two metal deck sections on Eduard

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar , 2009, 15:22 »
Hi Bill,

The big numbers on the Type II decals would be fine for your U 45 as I believe the numbers were the same size on VIIBs and IIAs.

Also on our decals are the little numbers (U and 1 to 6) that were on the IIA lifebelts. The pre-war U 45 had these little numbers on the lifebelt. But U 45 (as it was a VIIB rather than IIA) also had the flotilla name as well, which isn't on our decal sheet.

Our production run has been printed so there is no possibilty of altering it now. Limited run decal sheets are expensive - there won't be much if any profit on the decals in our set. We are doing them in the hope they will increase the potential of our complete set. Given their expense we were not planning to sell the Type IIA decals as a stand alone product. Firstly, we couldn't charge the same price as our Type VII decal sets and secondly we would probably run out of decals. If you are interested send Wink or myself a PM, and then Wink and I will discuss it.

Cheers,

Dougie

Mr.Mox

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar , 2009, 15:37 »
Thats one hot piece of etch, dammit - might have to do another II A  :D

Cheers/Jan

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #18 on: 16 Mar , 2009, 02:47 »
Hi Dougie, thanks for the update.  The PE is beautiful!  You and Wink have inadvertently caused me to have to work on a future project for my wife.  Because that is what I am going to have to do when I buy a second type II and your upgrade set!  ;D

Ernest

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar , 2009, 15:19 »
My next sub will be a U-boat for sure, seeing all these great builds.....I just gotta get a few for myself.

Mr.Mox

« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar , 2009, 03:38 »
The II A is such a nice little sub, especially compared to the Gato - you can fit in 3 II A

vonbulowfla

« Reply #21 on: 06 May , 2009, 19:59 »
i dig th das modellboard . my german is alright . so its interesting to check out das forum .good info there too. ;D

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun , 2009, 12:32 »
Hi guys,

We finally received the test sheets for the Type II set. Having checked them over, we are content that we are ready to go ahead with the full production run. I'll be contacting our PE company tomorrow to give them the green light to go ahead. Here are a few photos of the final PE frets.

1 - Main deck. You may notice there are several more tabs on the new deck than on the photos of our first deck. Since the tabs worked so well during our testing phase, we decided it would be prudent to add a few more. These tabs should be folded 90 degrees to allow the deck to sit firmly on the hull.

2 - Thick sheet. We made a couple of modifications from the first test sheet.

« Last Edit: 15 Jul , 2009, 14:07 by dougie47 »

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun , 2009, 12:48 »
We'll I hope it's soon. I'm baseing the purchase of a kit on your PE ;). I want this set, do you have a price in mind? Also tell Rokket I'll shoot him a picture of my torpedo doors by next week. Sorry for the delay darn work getting in the way.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun , 2009, 13:53 »
Hi Wildspear,

We do have a price in mind but haven't finalised it as yet. We'll announce the price when we go public with the webpage on the set.

We are thinking of including a downloadable pdf of the instructions and a downloadable pdf of the main plan. Of course both the main plan and instructions will be included as paper copies in the set. But the downloadable pdfs might help people understand the full scope of the set before purchasing.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun , 2009, 13:55 »
Sounds good to me. I vote yes on the downloadable PDF's.

Mr.Mox

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun , 2009, 15:49 »
That looks just sweet!

I

kagero43

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jun , 2009, 20:30 »
Looks FABULOUS Dougie. The PE deck and opened slats make for a mucch more real effect! The fit looks great. Keep em comin'! - Harvey

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun , 2009, 00:00 »
That is one tasty looking PE set. :o

UrpoK

« Reply #29 on: 01 Jul , 2009, 12:46 »
Congratulations mates!
You have done beautiful work.
That's what I have dreamed for my U-2!