Author Topic: VIIC "On the Ways"  (Read 78143 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: VIIC "On the Ways"
« Reply #255 on: 21 Jun , 2012, 10:42 »
That is a great pic Tore! I will have to add it in! It will not be too difficult to add.
Is it the same for the VIIC old style wooden slotted decks and the late period plank decks?
« Last Edit: 21 Jun , 2012, 11:02 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #256 on: 21 Jun , 2012, 12:01 »
I guess so Christopher.
If you intend to put in a gangway, it was a very simple, fairly narrow type with a possibility to fit on stanchions, this was not always done, particulary on short calls. The gangway was sometimes a challenge to the crewmembers having shoreleave ( read pubcrawls), and more than once we had to fish an unlucky guy up from the sea. I`m posting a couple of photos showing the design.
Tore

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #257 on: 25 Jun , 2012, 03:16 »
Love those details!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #258 on: 10 Jul , 2012, 09:55 »
Gentlemen
postwar pic, scuttling charges being set :(

Accidentally I have found the answer for question about this photo.
In all our discussions about possible boat's type we have forgotten about type XXIII !
SG was right. The photo presents setting the scuttling charges in the forward torpedo room of U-2321 on 27 November 1945 and which eventually has been sunk by gunfire by HMS Onslow and ORP Blyskawica.
--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #259 on: 10 Jul , 2012, 11:03 »
Credit to the wavy navy!
Tore

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #260 on: 12 Jul , 2012, 11:15 »
 Great Maciek! Solving mysteries is always a good thing! so it wasn't a type VII..

TopherVIIC

« Reply #261 on: 14 Aug , 2012, 10:37 »
Good day Mates -
I have been taking up some of my time working on a StuG III Ausf G Early production vehicle in 1:35 as a change in pace but I finally got my G7E's from Mikr Mir out of Ukraine.

It took a month to get from there to Buffalo New York, but that is to be expected. :-). They do not look too bad - though I wish the aft parts were more crisp or Photo Etched Brass... oh well. They will be usable. I tried to scan the parts but the scan came out bad, so I will take a photo later to show the sprues.

The instructions show the main body painted stainless steel and the warhead as a burnt metal color with brass colored propellors and fuse. I know that there has been an ongoing discussion in various places about torpedo color. Any modern theories as to color?

Also, when I go to build my cut-away version of the Famous U-35, I would assume she would have as a typical load-out of G7A's?. My U-35 will have the torps more visible as i envision it. Does anyone know or have drawings of the external differences between G7As and G7Es?
Christopher

« Last Edit: 15 Aug , 2012, 03:23 by TopherVIIC »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #262 on: 15 Aug , 2012, 05:22 »
Hi Christopher
Also, when I go to build my cut-away version of the Famous U-35, I would assume she would have as a typical load-out of G7A's?. My U-35 will have the torps more visible as i envision it. Does anyone know or have drawings of the external differences between G7As and G7Es?

Well, The G7e torpedoes were manufactured since 1935, but because of initial shortage I would assume following torpedo load-out: 4 G7e and 7 G7a (for total number of torpedoes stored in forward torpedo room and in torpedo tubes).

The differences are poorly visible on this drawing:
 http://www.scribd.com/doc/23575323/Anatomy-of-the-Ship-Type-Vii-U-Boat#page=93

See also this photos
http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=2&with_photo_id=31104553&order=date&user=1977304&tag=Submarine%20U-534

(G7e torpedo from U-534)

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/G7a_

TopherVIIC

« Reply #263 on: 15 Aug , 2012, 07:08 »
hmmm... Thank you Maciek! I am now looking deeper...! I see the G7E was more common for early loadout than I thought... When i was in the US Marine Corps i learned about various coding and color codes for ammunition. I am still surprised that there is not a reference for WWII Deutsch Torpedo codes.
Thanks for your help!
Christopher

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #264 on: 15 Aug , 2012, 07:38 »
When i was in the US Marine Corps i learned about various coding and color codes for ammunition. I am still surprised that there is not a reference for WWII Deutsch Torpedo codes.
As far as I know, some color codes were used for pistols and (likely) warheads. Simple color codes were also for torpedoes, to distinguish versions with different steering gear (simple gyro - straight runners, or various variants of pattern runners - FAT and LUT).
--
Regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #265 on: 15 Aug , 2012, 08:00 »
Maciek...
Thank you so much...
Can you list the codes you mention or can you point me to the places on the web I might see them?
I realize I am currently scratch-building a late WWII type VIIC/41 but my goal in the future is to build U-35 in her period after the Panzerschiff  Admiral Graf Spee cut her to ribbons.
I feel for the poor U-35...
Christopher
(edited for German Noun Capitalization errors on my part...)
« Last Edit: 15 Aug , 2012, 08:02 by TopherVIIC »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #266 on: 24 Aug , 2012, 08:35 »
Hi  Christopher

Can you list the codes you mention or can you point me to the places on the web I might see them?
or German Noun Capitalization errors on my part...)
As far as I remember, I did not read about it on the web, so I will have to look for in my paper sources.
I will let you know.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #267 on: 28 Sep , 2012, 04:41 »
 Hi  Christopher
As far as I remember, I did not read about it on the web, so I will have to look for in my paper sources.

A green band along the tail-piece of a torpedo indicates that it is fitted with an engine of increased horse-power.
A green ring around the depth-setting indicates a new type, to be set from 12 to 0 metres instead of from 0 to 12 previously.  In the new type setting, the spring is only tensioned when the torpedo is in the tube.  Prisoners stated that the new method of setting the depth from 12 metres downwards is more accurate.    
A red bar on G7a, torpedo indicates that it is not to be fired with a speed setting of 44 knots during trials, in order to preserve its mechanism.
http://uboatarchive.net/U-517INT.htm

I'm sure, you are following this thread:
http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=407.msg12110#msg12110
--
Regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #268 on: 28 Sep , 2012, 15:12 »
Thanks Maciek!
I appreciate that! Good Searching!
Christopher

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #269 on: 13 Nov , 2012, 15:02 »
Hi  Christopher

Next few informations about torpedoes:
A prisoner claimed some knowledge of the red and green markings on torpedoes.  He said that the markings referred to the weight of the head, those with the red ring being stated to have the heavier head.  The prisoner added that those torpedoes marked with a red ring would have as "verst