Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 46898 times)

Offline Pat

• Captain
Re: My U-69
« Reply #165 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 20:36 »
Yes, you're right bracco.  I should have thought of that myself since there's been a number of night crossings and a few storms that I've had to rig a jack line and rig the same sort of clip-on harness myself.

bracco_n

« Reply #166 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 21:27 »
Amazing! I

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #167 on: 07 Jan , 2011, 16:50 »
I used to sail a 13footer on a lake, with a few mates. We usually had about 8 seconds of the perfect angle/balance, where we sailed, and then pow over the edge and capsize, or panic and rop away losing all bite. It was interesting! best thing about the boat was the new thwart we built, oak and 11 coats of clear urethane. Oh, and the massive pirate flag we flew, too!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #168 on: 09 Jan , 2011, 06:33 »
When I used to make night crossings myself, with a short-handed crew, I rigged jack-lines and put on harnesses just as a matter of precaution, since I figured that if somebody went overboard in the dark, the chance of finding them and bringing them back aboard before hypothermia wasn

bracco_n

« Reply #169 on: 09 Jan , 2011, 08:57 »
Pat what an amazing anecdote! I think there's a video in youtube showing a crewman carrying out maintenance in heavy weather and he is attached to the jumping wire. I'll have to look it up.
By the way, my name is Nicolas.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #170 on: 09 Jan , 2011, 13:14 »
Oh, as soon as you mentioned using the jump wire as a jackline for safety harnesses, I knew you had to be correct bracco.  It's perfectly logical that with a man trying to go forward on a narrow, pitching deck only a meter or so above the water, with waves several meters high washing over, that of course they'd clip onto the jump wire.

In fact, it seems to me that at least when they're on the bow, the rise of the wire would lift them out of the water and deposit them on deck as the boat's motion dragged them aft towards the height of the CT.

The only thing is that they likely wouldn't be able to reach high enough to clip on until they were at the forward end of the side railing, so a dangerous trip to there.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #171 on: 09 Jan , 2011, 13:38 »
I have read that some of the big storms in the Atlantic, whole watch crews were wash overboard from the bridge, and it was not until the next watch crew went up to replace them they known they were missing.

I find that scaring because of two things: one you lose 3 crew members, and the other thing is that your U-boat could have been sailing around bind from the enemy for up to 3 hours.

TRM

« Reply #172 on: 16 Jan , 2011, 14:21 »
Hello Guys!

I am looking for a little help with the manhole inspection plates on the saddle tanks.  Obviously ModelBrass' placement instruction are little to no help.  I remember seeing a posted picture (not sure, but I thought from Wink) of a nice overview.  I just spent the better part of the last hour an half click, click, cling away to no avail! ??? 

Any reference starting point and/or measurements between (o/c) the covers would be of great help.  Or maybe the link to where I saw the picture????

Thank you!

TRM

« Reply #173 on: 17 Jan , 2011, 19:12 »
Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words?

This is what I came up with for the inspection cover placements....

Please way in if this does not look right.  Any thoughts on the 3rd and 4th covers being actually round?  They look more round than oblong in Westwood's picture.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks! ::)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #174 on: 17 Jan , 2011, 20:24 »
TRM, check the post between Reply #615 and #623

Research, pictures, sizing and location data.

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.msg6698#msg6698

TRM

« Reply #175 on: 18 Jan , 2011, 04:31 »
Thank you Simon!  That one round one....I had made 4 round plates last night, thinking something was round.  I will adjust accordingly.

Thanks again!

TRM

« Reply #176 on: 22 Jan , 2011, 20:21 »
Thanks again Simon!  Using the measurements you had posted in your thread, I was able to plot the correct cover placement. As you can see, my attempt at the round covers.  They are slightly small than they should be, but, I think they look alright.  Please let me know what you think.

The correct placements, my original in black...

I began re-constructing the doublers and applying them back on....

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 22 Jan , 2011, 20:49 by TRM »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #177 on: 23 Jan , 2011, 02:08 »
Superb work here TRM.  I wish I had the patience to correct errors in the moulding process on the Revell uboots.  I like to finish projects too much to spend the time it takes to get a super accurate hull, deck and conning tower on these models.  My hat's off to you!

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #178 on: 23 Jan , 2011, 14:30 »
Thanks Ernest!  I like when things get finished as well....this is why I have sooo many projects going. :D

Did a little work to correct the anchor...still unsure if I like it, it may grow on me though.

Cheers!

TRM

« Reply #179 on: 24 Jan , 2011, 04:19 »
Thanks Pepper!  That is awesome!  I was thinking that the, ahh, stem?? was seen.  Luckly it's a friction fit.  I will remove tonight (thinking I have some square stock ::) )

Thanks again!