Author Topic: My U-69  (Read 47047 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: My U-69
« Reply #150 on: 04 Dec , 2010, 19:22 »
lip on hatch looks good! Those details make the difference.

Sail Cloth - setting a price, probably per 11x17" (actually A3 - 297x420mm or 11 x 16" with dead area)

AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TRM

« Reply #151 on: 05 Dec , 2010, 07:31 »
Thanks Wink!

Great news about the sail cloth!  I'll be waiting!

Cheers!

TRM

« Reply #152 on: 07 Dec , 2010, 19:47 »
Moving along....

Certainly some missing stuff, but it should get rid of that "empty" feeling :D

Cheers!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #153 on: 10 Dec , 2010, 00:49 »
That's all you need, some shapes, and you have done even more, looking great

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #154 on: 12 Dec , 2010, 10:32 »
Looking very nice TRM.  The pressure hull looks great and well fill the void nicely.

Ernest

TRM

« Reply #155 on: 19 Dec , 2010, 15:42 »
Thanks Guys!

Still not much of an update....been filling the precious little time when not running from my daughter's (both) basketball practices and games, concerts and general holiday stuff with SANDING!  I have just about removed all of the rivets I had added to the hull.  I received Archer's (Glenn's) rivet transfers.....WOW!  Glenn, excellent work my friend!  I am assuming I may need to either buy another set and/or purchase a sheet or too of rivets of similar scale.  Unfortunately I think I took off more than the kit will replace.  Not concerned at the moment....it will be worth it.  I also received WEM 37mm upgrade.  After seeing the barrel, I will most likely purchase a brass barrel as well.  I found an American company that offers the Schatton periscopes, antenna and 37mm barrel.  Left the link on the work computer, will post it for anyone looking for these upgrade, short money! And finally, the last pick is my replacing the GHG plates with the Eduard plates supplied in their upgrade PE.

Looking forward to finishing the hull, and priming....then onto those rivets! ;D
« Last Edit: 19 Dec , 2010, 17:29 by TRM »

bracco_n

« Reply #156 on: 19 Dec , 2010, 16:27 »
Hi T, I believe that what you reffer to in the last photo is the UT, Unterwasser telegraphie (was it spelled like that?) which was an underwater telegraph for communication between submerged boats. The GHG is the listening apparatus.

TRM

« Reply #157 on: 19 Dec , 2010, 17:08 »
You are correct Sir!  got them mixed up. :P  I replaced the UT plates (LOL) with the Eduard's PE...as for the spelling, you appear to be correct as well! ;D

Cheers! 

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #158 on: 29 Dec , 2010, 00:23 »
U-69 is coming along very nicely TRM!  Archer's aftermarket rivets and welds set looks great.

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #159 on: 02 Jan , 2011, 01:20 »
The Archer set is most excellent, and Glenn did a fantabulous job 9as he always does!!!)! I DO wish they cost less then the model tho....

TRM

« Reply #160 on: 02 Jan , 2011, 07:42 »
I agree, and I have not been able to even get started on them!  Slight hiatus from her...too much diorama stuff I guess! ::)  Still thinking I need to buy either another rivet transfer set or a sheet of something comparable.  I took off too much sanding.  Bridges to cross when I get there! :P

Cheers!

TRM

« Reply #161 on: 04 Jan , 2011, 18:13 »
Thought I would post this picture I came across.  The question pertaining to the extra wire on the rigging of VIIA's and B's came up WAY, WAY back in December of 2009 in Siara's U-552 thread:  http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=58.msg3657#msg3657.

Still not sure of it's purpose but thought someone could use it at some point...

Cheers!

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 16:23 »
As far as I can tell, the extra wire is the actual antenna for the radio.

The wires with the porcelain/glass insulators that go from the wintergarten to the stern, and the CT front to the bow are "jump cables" and they have two purposes.  The insulators themselves are almost the same as the insulators that you sometimes see between the cable from a telephone pole and the stake in the ground that it's attached to.

The first purpose is to act as a support for the radio antenna/wire.  It is for this reason that they have the multiple round insulators to separate them from any interference with the hull.  It's easier to see at the forward end of the CT, but there is a very thin wire, the actual antenna, that comes off of the jump cable just before the insulators and hangs loosely underneath to enter the front of the CT, usually slightly to starboard but sometimes almost in the centre of the CT.  As it goes along the jump cable, the antenna either spirals the cable, or is attached every so often by a clip.

At the aft end of the CT, there are two horns, one on each side of the wintergarten, and the thin antenna wire again comes off just before the insulators and goes into the horns on either side.  I think the small wire you see underneath the jump cable in your picture is the antenna wire and it's a bit thicker there because it's insulated to stop it from shorting out if it touches the jump cable.

The jump cables themselves are not what picks up the radio signal, but just the support for the antenna.

The second purpose of the jump cable (and this is more important with the bow jump cable) is to deflect any anti-submarine nets, cables or foltsam so that it doesn't entangle the deck gun, schnorkel, CT, periscope or any other projections when the U-boat is near the surface.  For this reason, the jump cable is fairly thick and strong, and stretched fairly taut by turnbuckles at each end.

bracco_n

« Reply #163 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 18:39 »
and the third purpose is that of being a device to which you can attach yourself when the sea is rough and you have to do some work on deck.

TRM

« Reply #164 on: 05 Jan , 2011, 18:46 »
I can see that as well.  Thanks Bracco!  I believe I remember a pic of a sailor tethered on deck....just not sure to what.  This may have answered that! ;D

Thanks again!