Author Topic: U-552 Commission Build  (Read 4412 times)

Jess13

U-552 Commission Build
« on: 04 Feb , 2012, 15:25 »
Hi everyone.  After much skulking around and after Rokket's insistence, I finally found the time to post some pics of my last commission build, U-552.  This was a commission that I started about 5 or 6 years ago and finally got around to completing last month.  I was commissioned to build the early version without too much weathering or too much detail.  There are aftermarket kits used for the build, including Modelbrass' deck and periscope housing details, Yankee Modelworks' upper pressure hull & the late Steve Nuttall's periscopes and gun barrels.  Some scratch build was implemented, such as the periscope housings, UZO height extended and the free flood pattern replicated.  I left the size of the bow flood holes as is. 

I'm not crazy about how the dull cote turned out, a little too glossy for me.  The rigging is painted Stretch Magic with the kit's insulators.  The paints used were WEM's Kriegsmarine colors and some oil colors.  The entire boat was painted by brush because I don't own an airbrush.  (Yes, Rokket, I still don't have one  :D )

It was shipped 2-Day to the other side of the country (USA) without a scratch or break, thankfully.  The owner is quite happy with it.   

I'm currently working on U-302, which I started to build "out of box," but now decided to do what I can to better replicate the details.  I'll post pics when I can of it.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: U-552 Commission Build
« Reply #1 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 16:24 »
She looks great, and nice series of pix! (they are not cunting when I pen them..hmmm...) airbrush..get one! I just bought a Runway 13, yes, Chinese, but is every cool and was dirt cheap! GO!

You did great without one anyway!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

TopherVIIC

« Reply #2 on: 04 Feb , 2012, 16:25 »
Boat looks good!
I have owned airbrushed since the early 80's - (I used to do illustrations with them) and my favorite is an old Thayer Chandler AB side feed, but I still use regular bristle brushes for a lot of stuff.
Cheers
Christopher

Jess13

« Reply #3 on: 05 Feb , 2012, 05:58 »
Thanks guys!  Until I have a space of my own to work in, I'll need to continue with the brush.  One day, maybe.

Here's a few more pics that I meant to post.

Jess

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb , 2012, 01:37 »
Very nice painting with a brush!  That must have taken some time to do!

Ernest

Jess13

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb , 2012, 17:11 »
Thanks Ernest!  It does take a little while to do, but I'm very comfortable with a brush. I would be afraid I would really mess it up if I had an airbrush.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb , 2012, 01:42 »
Jess,
you wouldn't be afraid if you PRACTICED on small models! get a runway13 cheap airbrush! You can even buy a compressor pretty cheap! DO IT!  NOW man! You will LOVE IT!!!

Jess13

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb , 2012, 16:59 »
Rokket as soon as I have a space to use an airbrush, I'll get one. Right now the only place I have to work is the kitchen table. For now, the brush will have to do.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb , 2012, 21:47 »
You can use a folded cardboard box as a paint booth and take it outside... ;D

Jess13

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb , 2012, 05:51 »
I definitely have a box that I use when comes to the clear coats and a deck.  Hmm...I'm starting to see th possibility.

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb , 2012, 08:09 »
Wonderful! Jess you did an amazing work (AMAZING in capital letters actually having used a brush for the paintwork)
am looking forward to see new projects pics posted soon and hope you get some more space, or just change your mind on using an airbrush as Rokket already suggested :)
keep it up!
SG

Jess13

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb , 2012, 16:55 »
Thank you so much SG, I really appreciate the kind words.  I should have some picks soon of U-302.

Offline FoxbaT

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb , 2012, 14:58 »
Hi Jess,
very nice build, congratulations with your U-552  ;)

Karel

Jess13

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb , 2012, 16:15 »
Thank you so much, Karel.