Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 655148 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #400 on: 04 Jun , 2012, 23:30 »
Maciek
Your remark that  in general the electric motor is placed vertically above machines particulary pumps, is of course correct and the reason you assumed, to prevent leakages down to the motor is rigth. However there are exceptions as for the aux. lubeoilpump, where the pump and motor are mounted horizontally on a common bedplate. The present days Westfalia lubeoil purifier has the motor horizontally and the purifier vertically mounted on a common bedplate. I simply cannot remember the execution of the VIIC purifier, if it was fitted for space reason vertically, I would imagine the emotor had to be underneath which is as you pointed out a bad solution, but not impossible, but I`ll give the present days Westfalia execution a 65% chance. Let`s see if somebody can dig up a correct picture
Tore 
« Last Edit: 04 Jun , 2012, 23:45 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #401 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 00:08 »
Hi Tore
Your remark that  in general the electric motor is placed vertically above machines particulary pumps, is of course correct and the reason you assumed, to prevent leakages down to the motor is rigth. However there are exceptions as for the aux. lubeoilpump, where the pump and motor are mounted horizontally on a common bedplate.

Do you mean this pump?

(u-historia.com)

I have also noticed, that this pump is different. But:
[quote author="U Bootskunde f

TopherVIIC

« Reply #402 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 11:12 »
Generally speaking, any rotating machine resting on a single set of bearings will be more quiet than the same machine resting horizontally on two or more bearing races... Perhaps the vertical design was to aid in silent running?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #403 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 11:13 »
Maciek
You are absolutely rigth and the horizontal pump has nothing to do with aux. luboilpump. I was too quick in getting my mail posted before my internet connection was cut so I didn`t check properly. Sorry it is all wrong from my side.
So what is this horisontal centrifugalpump doing? It is not included in  any luboil-, fuelsystem as well as seacoolingwatersystem. If you look at the electric connectionbox it is not the normal german wartime type, I believe they were square, it looks more like a norwegian type of box after the war. The valve wheel is the shape of the potable freshwatersystem and there is a filter on the suction side. My guess is that the pump has been installed after my time by somebody who got tired of pumping freshwater by hand.Both the freshwatertank and the users are rigth behind the forward bulkhead. What do you think?
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:41 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #404 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 11:43 »
Christopher.
Interesting aspect. I wasn`t aware of that, but it sounds convincing. There were a number of other machineries horizontally mounted, most of the essentials were on resilent mountings, you can see both vertical and horisontal execution on the picture below. By the way the mysterious pump mentioned above is on resilent mountings as well.
 Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:41 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #405 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 11:58 »
Tore,
I notice there are similar resilient mountings
in the forward torpedo room.
My observation about vertical mounted machines is based only on mechanics, physics, and a Marine's training on how to blow up machines... I yield the more functional and entirely useful aspect if running said machines to trained engineers such as your self! :-)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #406 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 12:42 »
Christopher don`t stretch your believes in a very old mans frail memories on details from experiences more than 60 years back.
Howewer back to my theory on a possible electrical horizontal freshwaterpump for lazy younger norwegians. Down below I have indicated how the system could work and if anybody have another theory I would welcome same, this is great fun better than crossword puzzles!
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:42 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #407 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 12:58 »
This is the kind of cross-word puzzle I like as well! As an artist, I search for clues in the same way we do on this forum... We put together ideas, we seek right understanding and after due thought, reject wrong thinking. In the end, art comes out!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #408 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 13:06 »
Rigth Christopher. How boring it would be if we had an answerbook to every question.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #409 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 13:38 »
"... Lazy young Norwegians!"... If you are typical of Lazy Norwegians, it is a Great Country Sir!

TopherVIIC

« Reply #410 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 13:46 »
I would sail under a man such as yourself any day! Marines led by intelligent men such as yourself have a safe berth...

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #411 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 14:04 »
In my time we had to handpump the freshwater we consumed, even the cook had to pump all the freshwater when making the food for 46 men, the generation after me seems to have installed an electric pump in order to get rid of the exercise. Of course that would increase the freshwater consumption I believe but they migth have been a bit cleaner than we were.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #412 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 14:19 »
Tore-
I understand about various degrees of clean... As a U.S. Marine in the First Gulf War we lived in holes dug in the sand and had only our canteen bottles of water to wash and drink from for three weeks at a time. Modern times bring better measures. Troops stationed in such places now have better equipment.  They have, perhaps, improvised, and heaven forbid... May have actually been issued better gear than they started with!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #413 on: 05 Jun , 2012, 23:40 »
I looked at my freshwater hydrophore system this morning and wasn`t very impressed of the design. No suction to the other fw tanks, no pressuretank, no pressureswitch,in short,poor engineering. I`m posting my new idea. Blue suctionline to the common suctionline to all the fw tanks, red deliveryline via relief/pressureswitch ( I`m not 100% sure about that) connecting via the handpump supplyline to the headertank (daily consumptiontank) hopefully this would work better.
But in general I believe Simon shouldn`t bader about this system just delete it.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:43 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #414 on: 06 Jul , 2012, 13:57 »

Tore - I have a question for you and this should be one you are intimately familiar with, in that you were the designated "diver" of the KNM Kaura...
on U-570 plate 16 item (I) shows:
TAUCHERANSCHLUSZ BACKBORD bzw STEUERBORD
Diver's connection, port or starboard

Where was this, and what type of connection was it may I ask?
Christopher

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #415 on: 06 Jul , 2012, 15:05 »
Hi Christopher
Tore - I have a question for you and this should be one you are intimately familiar with, in that you were the designated "diver" of the KNM Kaura...

on U-570 plate 16 item (I) shows:
TAUCHERANSCHLUSZ BACKBORD bzw STEUERBORD
Diver's connection, port or starboard

Where was this, and what type of connection was it may I ask?

I will try to answer - the german name and its translation is misleading - this is in fact "compressed air and emergency blowing manifold" (See paragraph: "Compressed air and emergency blowing manifold", page 86, http://uboatarchive.net/Manual.htm).

The location - in the conning tower casing:

1 - emergency air supply connection (together with the  Taucheranschlutz)

2 - Notausblaseverter
3 - blowing valve forward
4 - blowing valve aft

U-995 was not equipped with these installation (as well as other late war U-Boats).

--
Regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #416 on: 06 Jul , 2012, 15:40 »
Oh Thanks Maciek!
I was thinking for some reason it meant the diver for the ship - not an emergency diver TO the ship! Familiar with those connections. Thanks Again!
I am working on a compilation chart to show how the various charts overlap systems. It is far from finished, but I hope it will be a useful compilation for the fine people on this group!
https://www.kabutographics.com/namen_a.html
Christopher

As a post addition, I have broken up the list into several smaller tables, linked accordingly. The tables were getting too unwieldy and large. These smaller separate lists work a bit better.
Christopher
« Last Edit: 09 Jul , 2012, 15:12 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #417 on: 06 Jul , 2012, 23:13 »
Christopher, Maciek has already answered your question in an exellent way, I was only on the net for a few minutes yesterday before your question. The older designs of submarines a had several "solutions" to save a submarine in distress, this was one of the better. The worst solution was on some of our prewar subs, a heavy leadkeel which could be released in emergency, the trouble was that during depthcharging it had a tendency to get "off the hooks" and the sub popped up like a cork.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #418 on: 07 Jul , 2012, 00:11 »
Christopher
I just visited your Kabutographics webside, very interesting and in fact touching one of my hobbies. Apart from modelbuilding I like to paint and am using my computer to sketch my oilpaintings. I am just busy making a painting of KNM Kaura based upon a picture of my model which I put into a choppy sea. I am posting the sketch. The oilpainting is almost finished and if of any interest I`ll mail same later.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Jul , 2012, 23:02 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #419 on: 07 Jul , 2012, 11:49 »
Christopher
I just visited your Kabutographics webside, very interesting and in fact touching one of my hobbies. Apart from modelbuilding I like to paint and are using my computer to sketch my oilpaintings. I am just busy making a painting of KNM Kaura based upon a picture of my model which I put into a choppy sea. I am posting the sketch. The oilpainting is almost finished and if of any interest I`ll mail same later.
Tore

Tore! Outstanding painting! My already high respect for you just tripled!

I have a number of military style paintings and pieces of artwork in my gallery, but have yet to do a submarine piece. I do intend to though!
Christopher
« Last Edit: 07 Jul , 2012, 11:59 by TopherVIIC »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #420 on: 07 Jul , 2012, 12:48 »
Christopher
I have been looking at a number of submarine paintings for sale at the net and am sorry to say the quality, apart from a few honourable exceptions, is astonishing low. Some of the artists have no idea about the details as well as how a submarine behaves in open waters.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Jul , 2012, 23:08 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #421 on: 09 Jul , 2012, 03:48 »
Tore,
one odd question - what was avarage wattage of bulbs used to lighting compartments?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

TopherVIIC

« Reply #422 on: 09 Jul , 2012, 05:39 »
Tore,
one odd question - what was avarage wattage of bulbs used to lighting compartments?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

To add to that question - were they a standard "light bulb size" or were they a particular german specific size. Would a light bulb from today fit in the sockets?
Were the colored bulbs colored by means of a gel or glass on the outside, or was the bulb itself colored?
Christopher

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #423 on: 09 Jul , 2012, 10:33 »
Ligthbulbs.
I really have to think hard to see if I remember. Contrary to our british  submarines (U class) which had bayonet sockets, the VIICs had DIN standard sockets ( screw in) and compatable to our national standard thus on our VIICs we used ordinary common (DIN) bulbs which you could get anywere in the country. As to the wattage I guess we used what we felt appropriate, mostly 60 watt for ordinary interior lamps as far as I remember, there was no code for for the wattage. I believe the coloured ligths like navigation ligths, alarmligths and nigthligths were ordinary bulbs in coloured glass. As a curiosity I previously mentioned I let the 1.st electrician install heating ligthbulbs in the officers lockers ( to keep the humidity away) these bulbs were of carbonthread type.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #424 on: 09 Jul , 2012, 11:23 »
Ligthbulbs
I should probably mention with regards to the standard ligthbulbs bulbs being available in every place that as our standard voltage ashore is 220 V the shipvoltage is
110 V.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #425 on: 09 Jul , 2012, 15:05 »
Tore, thank you for the reply.
To start off on a different tack - I have got a photos of handle, near the thin wall, between the officers and chief petty officers rooms, on port side. Do you remember what is it for? Can it be the handle for the schnorchel locking gear, which locks the mast in its lowered position?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #426 on: 09 Jul , 2012, 23:19 »
Maciek
This
Tore, thank you for the reply.
To start off on a different tack - I have got a photos of handle, near the thin wall, between the officers and chief petty officers rooms, on port side. Do you remember what is it for? Can it be the handle for the schnorchel locking gear, which locks the mast in its lowered position?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Maciek
I have tried to remember this item and even if it`s almost in the wardroom I can not say for 100% I remember. However I am almost sure, as you say, it is the lockinghandle for the schnorchel in lowered position.
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 Jul , 2012, 23:35 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #427 on: 10 Jul , 2012, 09:57 »
Thank you for answer, Tore.

--
Best regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #428 on: 10 Jul , 2012, 10:33 »
Thank you for answer, Tore.

--
Best regards
Maciek

Maciek.
Just to confirm our assumption is correct I mail a  sketch showing the two lockingpins on the schnorchelmast. Although the drawing shows a wheel for the downrigth mast I  think a handleoperated pin is probably better in that awkward position. Moreover don`t forget the schnorchel was fitted in March/April 1945 and they migth have been short of wheels at the yard in northern Norway.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #429 on: 10 Jul , 2012, 12:17 »
Just to confirm our assumption is correct I mail a  sketch showing the two lockingpins on the schnorchelmast. Although the drawing shows a wheel for the downrigth mast I  think a handleoperated pin is probably better in that awkward position. Moreover don`t forget the schnorchel was fitted in March/April 1945 and they migth have been short of wheels at the yard in northern Norway.

Thanks Tore, great picture, where does it come from?
--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #430 on: 10 Jul , 2012, 13:27 »
Maciek
I really don`t know. I had it for some time and I guess I found it on a dutch modelbuilders thread a few years back. But it still bugs me I don`t clearly remembered the handle from my time onboard.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #431 on: 12 Jul , 2012, 11:31 »
Hi Guys

I hope all you guys are having a great summer.

Starting to miss the U-boating already and it only the start of the winter here :( Been busy with the new job so far this winter, and it starting to look like it going to be a big winter for avalanches here, lots of snow and very cold :)

Happy U-boating, I can not wait to spring  ;D

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #432 on: 12 Jul , 2012, 13:34 »
Nice to hear from you Simon. So far we haven`t had much of a summer on this end, rain every day.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #433 on: 18 Jul , 2012, 07:23 »
Hi Guys

Tore, when sailing KNM Kaura, were the torpedo shooting excercies conducted?
If so, were ex-german torpedoes used? Was the fire control system (TDC) modernized?
How about other electronic equipment - radio transmitters and receivers and sound devices
(active sonar and hydrophones)? Were installed modern (post-war) and then, during restoration
as a musem replaced with german?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #434 on: 18 Jul , 2012, 10:54 »
Maciek
Yes, we had intensive exercises. After work up we started with daily training of the crew by dummyattack e.g. using the fruitmachine and the other equipment like ordinary attack, but did`t actually launch a torpedo, just air. Then continued the exercises by firing dummy (not live) torpedoes at a real target ship, setting the depth at safe level so a hit- torpedo  passed well below the targetships keel. The dummytorpedo surfaced after a preset lengthrun and was catched by a special torpedofishingvessel.
I was not involved in the torpedopart so I don`t know to much on the subject, but we used ex german torpedoes, quite a stock was left behind by the germans. We mostly used the LUT torpedoes. I don`t think we modernized the firecontrol system nor the other electronic equipment. We didn`t even had a radar which worked. So in 1953-1956 we used mostly the original german equipment, but later I guess we did some  alterations. As to the U-995 at Laboe they did some strange exchange of equipment,removing the original schnorchel, the original periscope and kept a few items intalled in Norway after my time.
Tore
« Last Edit: 18 Jul , 2012, 10:56 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #435 on: 18 Jul , 2012, 11:42 »
May be somebody take interest in seeing my picture of a surfaced dummytorpedo vertically in the sea and the vessel "fishing" the torpedo. I believe I have published one of the photos before.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:44 by tore »

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #436 on: 28 Jul , 2012, 13:58 »
Would you debone that type of fish before cooking or would it be better to leave the skin on to keep it more tender?

Sorry, I had too, I thought I was quite funny.....LOL!!!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #437 on: 28 Jul , 2012, 15:12 »
 Hi Wildspear
What a question! The answer is: the fish on the picture is dead and is safe to be deboned. I would not generalize though, live fish in the same family has a tendency to make the surroundings tender if deboned or skinned. My advice would be if you are not an expert on this kind of fish and get it hooked, do not skin or debone, leave it as it is for your own health sake.
Tore
« Last Edit: 29 Jul , 2012, 03:51 by tore »

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #438 on: 03 Aug , 2012, 09:49 »
lol

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #439 on: 03 Aug , 2012, 10:05 »
In the submarineslang we used very often fish for torpedo. When the torpedo was launched, the wording was:" fish in the water". Torpedoes are expensive hence an exstensive effort was done to recover same after excercises. Torpedofishing was the rigth word for it.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #440 on: 08 Aug , 2012, 05:10 »
Hi Guys

Tore, I have one more question about Junkers compressor. Was it possible to run Junkers compressor while snorting?
Was the increased back-pressure of exhaust gases problem for the diesel compressor?
I know, that Junkers compressor exhaust manifold had its own hull valve in aft torpedo room,
but has it (outside the pressure hull) its own muffler/silencer or was it connected to main diesel engines exhaust silencers?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #441 on: 08 Aug , 2012, 23:26 »
Hi Maciek
We never operated the Junkers while snorting, we used only the E-compressor. As the Junker worked on a two stroke cycle, the scavenging was sensitive to exhaustbackpressure. As to the external arrangement for the silencer, I cannot remember for sure, but I would believe it was separate. I`ll  check a bit more and see if I can figure out more on the subject.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #442 on: 15 Aug , 2012, 05:22 »
Hi Tore
We never operated the Junkers while snorting, we used only the E-compressor. As the Junker worked on a two stroke cycle, the scavenging was sensitive to exhaustbackpressure. As to the external arrangement for the silencer, I cannot remember for sure, but I would believe it was separate.
Thank you for very interisting informations.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #443 on: 24 Aug , 2012, 08:33 »
Hi Gents

According to the upperdeck stowage, I'm attaching the part of the
"Tauchvorschrift f

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #444 on: 24 Aug , 2012, 11:15 »
Maciek
Indeed an interesting document.  Very comprehensive and shows the german thoroughness. I have just scanned it, we had a fairly simplyfied version, but the idea was the same. An important part of giving orders and confirmation is using standarised word for the various items and condition. It is interesting to notice that the translator is using the word "closed" emphasizing not to used the word "shut". In my time in the british RN submarine service it was the opposite, "closed" was never used, shut was the word for it. I also notice that the translators use the word "floodvalves" translated directly from german "Flutklappen". In the RN submarineenglish these valves are called Kingstons.
I am looking forward to study the document further.
Tore 

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #445 on: 14 Sep , 2012, 12:58 »
Hi

Tore, I have got a question about electric motors. On the following photos, in the upper part of motors, there is visible a shaft, perpendicular to the main shafts (red for backboard, green for starboard motor).

Do you remember what is it for?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #446 on: 15 Sep , 2012, 00:32 »
Maciek.
 I can not remember for 100% but here is my guess.  There are two adjusting shafts on each main motor/generator. They are situated just above the stators and I think your may see a greasecup on the shaft casing, this, I believe, is wormwheel drive connected to the shaft. By putting a handle or wheel on the shaft you are able to turn it thereby the stators and adjusting the magnetic field of the motors/generators, I don`t think we did this often.. Simon has a wonderful drawing where he has shown the system, I take the liberty to show his picture to explain what I mean.
Tore
« Last Edit: 15 Sep , 2012, 04:23 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #447 on: 27 Sep , 2012, 13:40 »
Hi Tore
I can not remember for 100% but here is my guess.  There are two adjusting shafts on each main motor/generator. They are situated just above the stators and I think your may see a greasecup on the shaft casing, this, I believe, is wormwheel drive connected to the shaft. By putting a handle or wheel on the shaft you are able to turn it thereby the stators and adjusting the magnetic field of the motors/generators

That would be it! Accidentaly, in book "Die Sonar Anlagen der deutschen U Boote" by Eberhard R

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #448 on: 27 Sep , 2012, 14:30 »
Maciek
Excellent! As I said I cannot remember we used it. We had more problems with the propellernoise as the propellors on the later VIICs were made of cast steel. They were susceptible to cavitationpittings which again produced noise. The resilient mountings for the various auxilliaries were checked during annual noisetrials and if some component failed we had to fix it.
Tore
« Last Edit: 27 Sep , 2012, 14:32 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #449 on: 28 Sep , 2012, 04:28 »
Thanks Tore.

I have got another question. When you were snorting, it was common practice to propelling boat
with one shaft or two? And while running on E-motors? It would be better to drive with one shaft
or two (I'm referring to low speeds)?

--
Thanks
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #450 on: 28 Sep , 2012, 10:18 »
Maciek
We tested various alternatives and ended up with one diesel charging the batteries, eg coupled to the generator, tailclutch disconnected, and the other E-motor driving the propeller, diesel disconnected. Propelling the sub by E-motors made it easier (softer) to handle the snorting condition for the hydroplanepeople ( steady snortingdepth). Several times during direct dieseldriven propellers we dipped the snortmast floatvalve resulting in very uncomfortable air pressurefluctuations and sometimes the safetyvalve on the exhaust opened filling the sub with black exhaust. Snortingpropulsion by E-motors was definitely the most favourable alternative.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #451 on: 29 Sep , 2012, 13:50 »
Hi
I can not remember for 100% but here is my guess.  There are two adjusting shafts on each main motor/generator. They are situated just above the stators and I think your may see a greasecup on the shaft casing, this, I believe, is wormwheel drive connected to the shaft. By putting a handle or wheel on the shaft you are able to turn it thereby the stators and adjusting the magnetic field of the motors/generators

That would be it! Accidentaly, in book "Die Sonar Anlagen der deutschen U Boote" by Eberhard R

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #452 on: 29 Sep , 2012, 13:58 »
Tore
We tested various alternatives and ended up with one diesel charging the batteries, eg coupled to the generator, tailclutch disconnected, and the other E-motor driving the propeller, diesel disconnected. Propelling the sub by E-motors made it easier (softer) to handle the snorting condition for the hydroplanepeople ( steady snortingdepth). Several times during direct dieseldriven propellers we dipped the snortmast floatvalve resulting in very uncomfortable air pressurefluctuations and sometimes the safetyvalve on the exhaust opened filling the sub with black exhaust. Snortingpropulsion by E-motors was definitely the most favourable alternative.
And when crusing submerged at low speed, wheter snorting or using battery, it was better to use one shaft or two? I mean, if boat had some better characteristics (ie reaction on helm), or it was meaningless?
--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #453 on: 30 Sep , 2012, 00:30 »
M
Hi

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #454 on: 30 Sep , 2012, 00:49 »
Tore
And when crusing submerged at low speed, wheter snorting or using battery, it was better to use one shaft or two? I mean, if boat had some better characteristics (ie reaction on helm), or it was meaningless?
--
Thanks, regards
Maciek
Snorting.
Generally speaking the sub had the best performance operating on two propulsionshafts, you did not have to compensate so much on the helm and the aft hydroplanes.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #455 on: 16 Oct , 2012, 01:56 »
Drifting a bit far from my normal topics I thought I should show you my recently completed showstand I made in my hobbyshop. The idea was to have have a piece of furniture that would give my wife's approval to have my model of KNM Kaura ex U995 in the sittingroom. As your see I have fitted LED ligth from top as well at the bottom. The latter was necessary in order to show the Kingstones (Flutklappe).
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:46 by tore »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #456 on: 16 Oct , 2012, 11:20 »
Beautiful, i like it!

TopherVIIC

« Reply #457 on: 16 Oct , 2012, 19:49 »
Tore, That looks outstanding! I may have to build something like that when I build my U-35 cut-away! I actually like the "flood-lighting" for the Flutclappe!

Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #458 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 13:26 »
Hi Tore/SnakeDoc

I have finished another season in the snow, so I have time to continue working on U-1308. I have started to reread our old posts to refresh my mind about our discussion. This brings me back to the low pressure air sea weed air blowing cleaner system.

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=921.msg11832#msg11832

We initial presume that the small pipes (approximately 20 mm - purple color) were the low pressure line for this system, but I not to sure anymore, here why.
  • We know that is system uses low pressure air, but I believe the presume pipes are too small for a low pressure system, I think you would not get enough volume of gas to do anything.
  • We now know from the photo from the starboard side of the boat these presume pipe connect to the wrongs valve.
  • These lines are not seen on the Port side of the boat where that are very easy seen on the starboard side.
  • In both photo below we can see a larger pipe entering the correct valve (Green arrow), in addition, these pipes seem the correct size for a low pressure system.
I now believe these are the correct pipe (Green arrow) for the cleaner system.

PS. Tore, the display looks great.

Port Side
(source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml)

Starboard Side
« Last Edit: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:29 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #459 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 14:50 »
Simon welcome back from the snow, we are already getting some on this end and you are welcome to come over and move it away. As to the weedblowing system you are absolutely rigth. On the systemdrawings below I have indicated the way it is.
Tore 

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #460 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 14:55 »
Hi Tore

Q: About the lubeoil separator (centrifuge) - Reply #355 to 358. http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=921.msg11874#msg11874

Tore, do you know where the two lube oil separator are found? Are there under the decking?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #461 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 15:08 »
I cannot remember where, but I believe it was only one and according to the systemdrawings it seems to have been mounted on the port side forwd. It migth have been under the floorplating.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #462 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 15:14 »
I cannot remember where, but I believe it was only one and according to the systemdrawings it seems to have been mounted on the port side forwd. It migth have been under the floorplating.
Tore

Thanks, starting to all come back to me. I will have a look at a few drawings and see if I can workout something.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #463 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 15:18 »
Hi Tore/SnakeDoc

Does anyone know where the LP piping enter the engine room? Above or below/Port or starboard side?

I would think below deck and on the port side as the manifold in the Control Room was on the port side ???

(source: http://uboatarchive.net)
« Last Edit: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:27 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #464 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 15:34 »
Tore, the flow meter next to the lube oil separator, would it look similar to the one found in the forward torpedo? Thanks, Simon.

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=106.msg8197#msg8197

« Last Edit: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:28 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #465 on: 19 Oct , 2012, 23:52 »
Simon
I think quite a few items, including the flowmeter is intergrated in the luboilseparatorunit. Below within the black framing is my idea what`s in the separatorunit. I don`t believe the flowmeter is identical to the torpedocompensatingtank.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:47 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #466 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:24 »
Thanks, Tore.

Here a idea. I was looking the piping layout, and I noted a funnel section next to the luboilseparatorunit. In the photo below you can see a funnel section (Red arrow) and maybe the luboilseparatorunit is the blue arrow?

« Last Edit: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:29 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #467 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:29 »
Simon
LP airpipeline.
I`m not 100% sure, but I believe the main LP air supplypipe is going on the top center (midship) into the engineroom. I`ll check and see if I have a better idea later
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #468 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 00:50 »
Siomon
Your suggestion seems to be a possibility, howewer I cannot see the the access to the separatorbowl, it looks awfully cramped bearing in mind that it had to be dismantled and cleaned quite frequently ( I never did the job so my memory is blanked ).

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #469 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 06:15 »
Simon
In order to know what to look for may be an understanding of the purifierpiping would help. The system is separated from the engine lubeoilsystem, only connected via the lube oiltanks.  You have two pumps one for dirty and one for clean oil. There are two heaters, one for the "washingwater" and one for the dirty lubeoil. When the engines are running, the warm coolingwater from the exhaustmanifold is used and enter via the washingwater heater, in this case probably not to be used. When the engines are stopped, cold water from the seainlet is entering the heater and heated before added to the purifier. The dirty oil is taken from either the dirty oiltank, or stb and port engine lubeoil system tanks,entering the purifier lubeoil heater heated if needed and afterwards mixed with the warm washingwater from the waterheater and fed to the purifier. I have added colours to the systemsketch below. Red warm washingwater, blue cold washingwater, green dirty lubeoil and yellow clean lubeoil, the black is sludge. As I said I believe a lot of the stuff is intergrated in the purifier. We really need a picture of the actual purifier.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:47 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #470 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 12:26 »
A big thanks, Tore. Help a lot!  :) :) 

I have a few questions.
  • Why would you want to heat the dirty and clean oil for?
  • How often would you run this system? Every time the main engines are running or only a few times while the main engines are running?
  • Do you need both the pumps (clear and dirty LO) running at the same time for the system to work?
  • As the clear and dirty LO pumps are

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #471 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 15:29 »
Tore, I spend the morning searching and studying the photo's I have. I have located a 2nd smaller funnel section next to the one I found in Reply #466. I have yet to found any funnel section on the port side of the boat. Because I found no funnel section on the port side, and two on the starboard side this adds more weight that the luboilseparatorunit is located on the starboard side of the boat.

Siomon
Your suggestion seems to be a possibility, howewer I cannot see the the access to the separatorbowl, it looks awfully cramped bearing in mind that it had to be dismantled and cleaned quite frequently ( I never did the job so my memory is blanked ).

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #472 on: 20 Oct , 2012, 16:09 »
Simon.
Dirty oil stored in the dirty oiltank gets cooled hence a higher viscosity and makes it more difficult to separate impurities. Lube oil in the enginesystem (tanks) when the engines are running gets warm and mostly don`t have to be heated. If the engine stops the lubeoil in the system tanks get cooled and needs to be heated to have the rigth purifying viscosity. You might want to clean the lube oil if the engines are not running.
The condition of the lubeoil ( impurities) might vary according to the engineservice, combustion, waterleakages etc. and the frequencies of the purifying, but you run the purifier quite often some times continuously.
The purifierpumps are always running simultaneously when the purifier is in operation, you need both in order to get dirty oil to the purifier and clean oil out of the purifier.
The pumps of the purifier has nothing to do with the attached lubeoil pumps for the engines , I believe they are normally driven by the purifier (intergrated).
The construction of the pumps are normally gear or IMO pumps.
Your last question is probably answered above, I believe non of the pumps are driven by the engines, you want to be able operate the purifier even when the engines are stopped.
Tore
« Last Edit: 20 Oct , 2012, 23:46 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #473 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 00:03 »
Hi Simon

Q: About the lubeoil separator (centrifuge) - Reply #355 to 358. http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=921.msg11874#msg11874

Tore, do you know where the two lube oil separator are found? Are there under the decking?

I'm attaching the drawing, where I had marked the location of the oil purifier. I think, that it is located in the middle, just
behind the hatch to the engine room, under deck plating.

Here a idea. I was looking the piping layout, and I noted a funnel section next to the luboilseparatorunit. In the photo below you can see a funnel section (Red arrow) and maybe the luboilseparatorunit is the blue arrow?

Well, according to my guesses, on this photo you have marked the auxiliary cooling water pump.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #474 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 01:53 »
Maciek
 I believe you are rigth. On your very detailed drawing I cannot figure out anything which looks like a purifier. According to the RN report on U-570 the lubeoil purifier installed was no 149 Type 2LHD 2/20 capacity 300 l/h Ramesohl & Schmidt, Westfalia, Oelde. The motor manufacturer was Werdohler Pumpenfabrik, Werdohl I/W Paul Hillebrand GMBH. A picture of that separator/purifier would help a lot.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #475 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 01:56 »
Does anyone know where the LP piping enter the engine room? Above or below/Port or starboard side?

I would think below deck and on the port side as the manifold in the Control Room was on the port side ???

LP airpipeline.
I`m not 100% sure, but I believe the main LP air supplypipe is going on the top center (midship) into the engineroom. I`ll check and see if I have a better idea later

I also think, that low pressure air line is led under the ceiling, midship (that is general pattern in german design :). I will try figure out which one is it.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #476 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 02:18 »
I think quite a few items, including the flowmeter is intergrated in the luboilseparatorunit. Below within the black framing is my idea what`s in the separatorunit. I don`t believe the flowmeter is identical to the torpedocompensatingtank.

I agree with Tore, that oil purifier could be integrated with such elements as flow meter, heaters, and so on.

Simon, on this photo, I'm wondering about the spring, which is located above the funnel. Together it does not look like part of oil purifier.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #477 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 12:26 »
Hi Maciek & Tore

Thanks for the updated information :)

I think you are correct about the oil purifier being central line, it makes more sense to keep all this system together.

You are also correct about the photo in the last post below. I think I workout it out last night it part of the Fuel oil compensating system (circulating water under pressure) (Plate 10). In the photo you can see:
  • The two funnel section.
  • The thread connection after c1.
  • The safey or relief valve f (the "spring, which is located above the funnel").
  • And the three way valve d.

« Last Edit: 21 Oct , 2012, 12:31 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #478 on: 21 Oct , 2012, 14:20 »
Simon
I guess you have pretty much an idea of the inboard pressure water fuelcompensating system forward portside of the engineroom, anyhow below is a picture of the first valves after entering the pressurehull.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #479 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 14:55 »

I agree with Tore, that oil purifier could be integrated with such elements as flow meter, heaters, and so on.

Simon, on this photo, I'm wondering about the spring, which is located above the funnel. Together it does not look like part of oil purifier.

--
Regards
Maciek

Maciek.
I believe the spring you are wondering about is the spring for the reliefvalve for the enginedriven pistoncooling-waterpump of the starboard engine. You can see the   reliefvalve for the port engine under the horizontal freshwaterpump on port side.  Simon I don`t think this has anything to do with a purifier.
Tore
« Last Edit: 22 Oct , 2012, 14:58 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #480 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 16:41 »
Simon
I guess you have pretty much an idea of the inboard pressure water fuelcompensating system forward portside of the engineroom, anyhow below is a picture of the first valves after entering the pressurehull.
Tore

Thanks for the correct information :) :)

Maciek.
I believe the spring you are wondering about is the spring for the reliefvalve for the enginedriven pistoncooling-waterpump of the starboard engine. You can see the   reliefvalve for the port engine under the horizontal freshwaterpump on port side.  Simon I don`t think this has anything to do with a purifier.
Tore

Yes, your total correct. I am trying to decide if I am going to add the purifier system to my drawing. We have some little information it and I would hate to add something to my drawing that was only a best guess :(

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #481 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 16:44 »
This morning I added the main drainage line and the Main drain suction valve (with the extension control for the neighbouring compartment).

Tore, there no pictures of this valve, but what do you think of my drawing of the valve? Looks OK?

(source: http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate6.htm)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #482 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 23:07 »
Tore

Thank you for clarification! Now it makes sense to me.

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #483 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 23:26 »
Hi Simon
Tore, there no pictures of this valve, but what do you think of my drawing of the valve? Looks OK?

Here you got similar valve, which is located just behind the control room bulkhead (in Petty Officers Room):

Tore, does it the same type as in Diesel engine room?

The other side of bulkhead with shaft passing through looks following:

Maybe it somehow helps.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #484 on: 22 Oct , 2012, 23:59 »
Thanks Maciek! I will update my drawing tomorrow :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #485 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 00:34 »
Simon.
If you wonder how it looks like on the other side, engineers PO`s mess, you may see a very young EO checking it.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:49 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #486 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 00:41 »
Simon
Tore

Thanks for the correct information :) :)

Maciek.
Tore

Yes, your total correct. I am trying to decide if I am going to add the purifier system to my drawing. We have some little information it and I would hate to add something to my drawing that was only a best guess :(

Simon
 A very wise idea! The whole thing is a real puzzle to me, the more so because I cannot remember a thing about the lube oil separator/ purifier.
Tore
« Last Edit: 23 Oct , 2012, 04:15 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #487 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 01:13 »
Simon.
Remote operated bilgevalve.
I got sligthly confused by the yellow black zebrastripes and the new aluminium floorplating now fitted on the Laboe U 995. The picture is indeed from the same side as my picture, but of course the bilgepipe goes to the aft batterycompartment.
Tore
« Last Edit: 23 Oct , 2012, 05:40 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #488 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 01:14 »
Simon.
If you wonder how it looks like on the other side, engineers PO`s mess, you may see a very young EO checking it.
Tore

Thanks for the picture.

Here a picture of the handle in the moter room as the valve are under the decking.

« Last Edit: 23 Oct , 2012, 10:43 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #489 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 06:29 »
This morning I added the main drainage line and the Main drain suction valve (with the extension control for the neighbouring compartment).

(source: http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate6.htm)

Simon.
I just had a look at your drawing of the bilgevalve in the engineroom. It seems to me that the valve is placed on port side fairly close to the dirtyoil handpump and could be remote operated from the E-room, shouldn`t this  be the opposite, eg. the bilgevalve placed in the E-room with the possibility to operate same from the engineroom? I should think the engineroom bilgevalve migth be placed more to the stb side close to the E-room bulkhead and able to be controlled from the E-room side. Just an idea.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #490 on: 23 Oct , 2012, 07:42 »
Simon.
To follow up my remarks I`m posting the systemsketch in the relevant area.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:50 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #491 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 01:36 »
It been very hard to work out how the remote operated bilge valve works.

You can see the double handle in the picture in Reply #488. By lifting the handle, the control rod (WHITE) rises and opens the valve. The control rod (WHITE) is linked to a wheel (RED) and rotates a cross over rod (Yellow) to the other wheel (Red) which move the other handle.

Tore/Maciek, what do you think of this system?   

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #492 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 08:41 »
Simon
Clever design :) . I`m not sure I fully understand your twin operated valves though. On the picture below I have indicated with red arrows the similarities between the valve in the E-rom and the POs mess, I believe they are possibly identical. With the yellow arrow I suggest this might possibly be the separate E- roomhandle for an identical valve in the engineroom, thus the you see the top of the valvecasings on both pictures which mean no extensionrods.
Tore
« Last Edit: 24 Oct , 2012, 08:50 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #493 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 11:10 »
Hi Tore

Yes, I believe this valve is complex without better photo

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #494 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 12:28 »
Hi Tore

I started adding the engine mount for the starboardengine, does it look Ok to you?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #495 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 13:01 »
Hi Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #496 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 13:10 »
Simon.
So far so good, usual high class standard. Looking forward to the rest.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #497 on: 24 Oct , 2012, 13:21 »
Hi Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #498 on: 25 Oct , 2012, 07:17 »
Simon
Drainage/flooding valves.
I believe we have to look to the working  of the system. The main drainage/flooding main pipe goes all the way from fwd. to aft, being able to bring the water in both direction. In those areas not centrally controlled you have branchoff pipes locally controlled, in some areas these branchoff pipes are fitted with controlled checkvalves shutting the branchoff to the mainpipe by a spring. The vital valves can be controlled from two positions, locally at the valve or via a shaft through a watertight or even pressuretight bulkhead adjacent to the valve.
 I believe basically all the handcontrolled checkvalves are the same and the pictures of the checkvalves shows the top of the valves, the reason is that you clearly see a centrally placed watertight stuffingbox for the valvespindle,  a lengthening rod would have a simple guidebush.
The  support on the valvetop accommodating a horizontal shaft going through a bulkheadsealing to a handle in the adjacent compartment. On this shaft is fixed an excentric disc ( cam ) able to touch the top of the valvespindle. Locally at the valve is another handle different from the other as it contains a screwspindle ( see the  square tap at the end) and at the other end a forked bush enclosing the horizontal shaft but not fixed to same.
Shutting and opening the valve is as follows:

1. Opening.Turning the shaft by a handle in the adjacent compartment cause the excentric disc ( cam) to force down the valvespindle, opening the valve against the springpressure. The screwhandle locally at the valve is not connected to the shaft and is not moving ( to avoid in case of emergency something should block the handle.) Shutting. Turning the shaft the  other way and the spring is shutting the valve
2. The most common situation. In case of locally drainage (bilgepumping ).Opening. A wheel or handle is put on the  square turning the spindle inwards thus locking the handle to the shaft. Turn the handle up against its stop (clearly visible) thereby moving the shaftcam about 90 degrees and opens the valve.
Shutting. Putting the screwhandle down to the other stop releasing the valvespindle and the spring shuts the valve. Unscrew the handle from the shaft.

The picture of the handle in the E-room looks indeed as connected to the checkvalve, it could be this is a handle on the shaft through the bulkhead for the same valve, because you cannot see any bulkhead bushing for the horizontal checkvalve-shaft. A reason could be that it had to be displaced and hence a crankconnection had to be made for the rotating camshaft for the checkvalve.
Well a long story about a relatively simple valve, but it`s the only idea I have for the moment.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #499 on: 25 Oct , 2012, 09:22 »
Drainage/floodvalves.
Have read my ideas in retrospect I`m not 100% satisfied. I believe it is room for improvement. The only thing I`m sure of is, on the photos we see the top of the valvecage, the horizontal shaft and a fairly simple valvemechanism for the controlled checkvalve. No complicated gearwheels. So I`m open for alternatives we got to get Simons drawing correct..
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #500 on: 25 Oct , 2012, 12:26 »
I think you right, I am sure the Germans keep this valve simple. We just need a few more good photo

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #501 on: 25 Oct , 2012, 13:06 »
Yes Simon let`s have a few more photos !
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #502 on: 25 Oct , 2012, 13:15 »
Tore, do you think the drainage pipe that runs between the aft trimming tank to the Control Room manifold and valve h be the same diameter as the drainage pipe we been working on?

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate6.htm

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #503 on: 25 Oct , 2012, 14:37 »

Fig. 1. Drainage line (Brown-green-brown).

Tore, why you do you think the German, added a kink in the piping between the two frames?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #504 on: 25 Oct , 2012, 14:43 »
Simon.
Tore, do you think the drainage pipe that runs between the aft trimming tank to the Control Room manifold and valve h be the same diameter as the drainage pipe we been working on?

Simon.
It migth be a bit smaller. The drain/flooding pipe should be able to handle large quantities of water, whereas the trimline usually handled moderate quantities. F.inst. when the order divingstations was given and the  crew moved to their station I remember 400 ltrs had to be pumped from aft trimtank to fwd. On a special occasion we flooded the diesel inlet shaft from the towercasing to the shut hullvalve in the engineroom, I guess it contained several tons of seawater which had to be drained into the engineroom bilge and pumped out via the drain/floodpipe in a hurry. It  should be possible to find the exact diameters though.
Tore
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #505 on: 25 Oct , 2012, 15:22 »
Simon.

Simon.
It migth be a bit smaller. The drain/flooding pipe should be able to handle large quantities of water, whereas the trimline usually handled moderate quantities. F.inst. when the order divingstations was given and the  crew moved to their station I remember 400 ltrs had to be pumped from aft trimtank to fwd. On a special occasion we flooded the diesel inlet shaft from the towercasing to the shut hullvalve in the engineroom, I guess it contained several tons of seawater which had to be drained into the engineroom bilge and pumped out via the drain/floodpipe in a hurry. It  should be possible to find the exact diameters though.
Tore
Tore

Thanks Tore. I estimated the main drainage pipe to have a diameter of 120 mm, what do you think of about 80 mm for the other pipe?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #506 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 00:14 »
Simon
As a further guidance, the main drainpump (sentrifugal) had a capacity of 75 cub m/hour (impellors in paralell, low head) and 30 cub m/hour ( impellors in serial, high head) otherwise the capacity variation follows the normal sentrifugalvariation depending of the head. The trimpump (aux bilgepump, double piston) had a capacity of 18 cub/hour being a constant capacity as for pistonpumps. Thus the max. capacity of the main drainpump is about 4 times that of the trimpump.
Tore
« Last Edit: 26 Oct , 2012, 00:16 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #507 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 01:14 »

Fig. 1. Drainage line (Brown-green-brown).

Tore, why you do you think the German, added a kink in the piping between the two frames?
Simon.
I was not aware of this bend. My only idea is as follows: The diesel engineblock is casted in two parts joined by a flange right in this area. The steelstructure under the engine is pretty close to the to casted engine crankcase flange ( see picture below), may be they had to lead the pipe just around this flange. From an engineering point of view this is bad, almost unbelievable, but it is the only idea I have right now.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:51 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #508 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 01:52 »
Simon
I just had a look at your maindrain/flooding pipe drawing in the engine room. It seems that your pipe goes down and through the lubeoil storage tank. In general you would`t have a massive waterpipe in a vital lubeoiltank. If you are sure about that, my idea above is of cause not relevant.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #509 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 02:33 »
Simon
I just had a look at your maindrain/flooding pipe drawing in the engine room. It seems that your pipe goes down and through the lubeoil storage tank. In general you would`t have a massive waterpipe in a vital lubeoiltank. If you are sure about that, my idea above is of cause not relevant.
Tore

Hi Tore

I completely forgot about the lube oil storage tanks, but this pipe goes through the port tank. I will update my drawing tomorrow.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #510 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 04:16 »
Simon.
I would have no idea why the pipe has a bend in the middle of the lubeoil storage tank, I can see nothing there which necessitates such a bend.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #511 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 12:17 »
Simon.
I would have no idea why the pipe has a bend in the middle of the lubeoil storage tank, I can see nothing there which necessitates such a bend.
Tore

Could it be something to do will reducing shock loading down the pipe line?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #512 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 13:13 »
I don`t think so Simon, on some steampipes we used such bends to take up heatexpansion, but I don`t see the temperaturevariation should justify that on such pipe.
Have you any ideas why the drawing does not show the two handcontrolled checkvalves or drainage/flooding branchoff in the engineroom?
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #513 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 15:41 »

Fig. 1. Display the cover of the lubeoil storage tanks.

Fig. 2. Display the main engine frame.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #514 on: 26 Oct , 2012, 23:50 »
Simon.
This is more to my liking. It remains to figure out the remote handoperated checkvalves though. It is a vital part of the system that you should be able to open and shut that valve from the adjacent watertight compartment.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #515 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 08:56 »
Flood/drainvalve fwd engineroom.
 With the help of U-historia I believe I might have located the fwd engine room drain/floodvalve. First of all there are only ordinary valves draining batterycompartment into the engineroom, draining of the waste watertank is done via an ordinary checkvalve up fwd PO mess or probably in the controlroom. Flooding of the batterycomp. is done from the valve fwd PO mess. The only handcontrolled checkvalve operated from the adjacant compartment in fwd engineroom is possibly situated up towards the bulkhead of the main batteryswitch compartment no. 2, stb side of the galleydoor. Allthough the hand operatingshaft through the bulkhead is indicated by U-historia to be right down of the dooropening, I think it might be a fair chance that same could be situated in the switchcompartment,  I cannot figure out it is outside. Thus this is no 3  of these 4 valves.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:52 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #516 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 11:28 »
Tore, in the galley there are two hatches on the floor. They could be for port side valves  :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #517 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 13:02 »
I think they probably are Simon. Fwd hatch the handcontrolled stop check valve for the wastewatertank, the aft port hatch for the handcontrolled valve for gravetydraining from the galley to the engineroom.
Tore
« Last Edit: 27 Oct , 2012, 13:12 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #518 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 13:23 »
Air Engine Starting System

Tore, I was wondering if you can help me with this system http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate15A.htm I have a few questions.

• I have location valve c (Drain valve from engine starting air flasks and air induction line). However, on plate 15, the drain line is drawn coming off the HP bottle and not off the main line. Do you think this is correct? It seen to me to be wrong that the drain line would come directly off the HP bottle.
  • I am trying to location valves f, a1 & b. Any help would be great.
  • In the photo below are the two pressures gages (arrow) the same one on plate 15.

Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #519 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 14:02 »
Dorsal view of the Engine

To be able to increase the detail and accurate of my drawing of the engine, I need to draw the dorsal view at the same time, so I am going to start this today and here are my first round of questions.

1. On the rocker arm the left arrow is this just a casting mark? Or is there something missing?
2. Right arrow, I imagine this is a grease point, is this just a small nut?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #520 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 14:29 »
Simon.
Starting air flask.
The drawing for the startingair supply is for MAN engines, the picture from the U 995 is of  Krupp Germaniawerft engines and they have different startingsystem. Howewer the startingair supply is the same principle. The drain on the starting airvessel I presume is just the waterblow off from the vessel and has not anything to do with the induction air. The waterdrain from the airvessel goes via a funnel to the bilge. The valves on the engines is probably a bit different between the MAN engine and the GW engine but I believe you have found the reducingvalve 205-30 Bar.  I believe the other valves are hidden by the maneuverstand .
Tore
« Last Edit: 28 Oct , 2012, 07:27 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #521 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 14:58 »

To be able to increase the detail and accurate of my drawing of the engine, I need to draw the dorsal view at the same time, so I am going to start this today and here are my first round of questions.

1. On the rocker arm the left arrow is this just a casting mark? Or is there something missing?
2. Right arrow, I imagine this is a grease point, is this just a small nut?

The valve rocker arms are pivoting on a shaft fixed to the rockerarm support, thus you don`t lubricate the two points. The small excessive painted knobs could be  small nuts locking the shafts to the supports.
On the rocker arm in the center, the point just above the shaft where it is pivoting should be lubricated.  I cannot remember for sure, but I believe it was handlubricated and not by a line from the lubricator up front.
Tore
« Last Edit: 27 Oct , 2012, 15:02 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #522 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 15:34 »
Simon
I just checked some of  my pictures, there were no lubricatorpipes to the rockerarms, I belive just a cavity for handlubrication.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #523 on: 27 Oct , 2012, 17:50 »

Not very exciting today, just the start ;D

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #524 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 02:13 »
Simon
It seems right to me. Knowing you love tiny details, the shaft for the forked end of the pushrod is protruding slightly out of the rockerarm on both sides, this to accommodate a small grove where you have a spring lockingring you know the type having a split fitted with a set of pliers. On the other side of the rockerarm on the top of the valvespindle is a special pressuredisc fixed by a nut locked by wire. Se picture below.
Tore.. 
« Last Edit: 28 Oct , 2012, 07:31 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #525 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 02:20 »
Simon
Starting air vessel for GW engines. Below is the starting air supplysystem for the GW engine, not much difference.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:53 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #526 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 03:40 »
Air starting system.
The startingsystem of the GW engine might look a bit complicated, but is relatively simple compaired to the reversingmechanism. Below is an isometric drawing of the system. The starting airvalve on each cylindercover is operated by a pushrod from the camshaft. The pushrod is normally kept free from the camshaft by a spring, it is the only rod on the Laboe U 995 engine which is not painted blue, originally it was not painted at all. When the  main air startingvalve ( red wheel ) is opened pressureair is admitted to a chamber with piston ( slide) in the startingvalve on the cylindercover and forces the rod down against the springpressure to the camshaft. When the maneuvre startinghandle on the manuevrestand is put to start position, air is admitted to the cylinder startingvalve air chamber and that valve which is opened by the camshaft admit the air to the cylinder and the engine start turning by air. When the engine obtain sufficient revs. fuel is admitted to the fuelvalves and the engine is running. Then the startinghandle is put on run position, the  main airvalve is shut the air is relieved and the starting air valve in the cylindercover is raised free from the camshaft by the spring.
Tore
« Last Edit: 28 Oct , 2012, 03:53 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #527 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 07:19 »
Simon.
As a more detailed explanation I `m posting a drawing showing the difference between the MAN and GW starting air supply. Basically as previously said they are the same. The main difference is that the GW engines is charging the starting airvessel via one reducingvalve 205-30 atm and thus don`t require further reducingvalves on the engine.
MAN is charging the airvessel via an air reducing valve 205-75 atm and require a second reducingvalve 75-30 atm after the main starting airvalve on the engine. You shall find quite a lot of further differences when you make you dorsal drawing so I guess you have to stick to one enginemakes  and matching you pipesystems, so far it seems you have chosen GW engines and of course the GW pipesystem should be chosen.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #528 on: 28 Oct , 2012, 16:38 »
Simon
It seems right to me. Knowing you love tiny details, the shaft for the forked end of the pushrod is protruding slightly out of the rockerarm on both sides, this to accommodate a small grove where you have a spring lockingring you know the type having a split fitted with a set of pliers. On the other side of the rockerarm on the top of the valvespindle is a special pressuredisc fixed by a nut locked by wire. Se picture below.
Tore..

Hi Tore

Thanks for the information :)

I did noted the spring locking ring and added this to the drawing. I don't think you will see it at 1:32 scale in the drawing but if anyone ask me I can say it there ;D ;D

I am going to work on the other end of the rocker arm on Wednesday, I am going ski touring tomorrow as I went to collect some avalanche and snow data.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #529 on: 29 Oct , 2012, 00:15 »
Simon.
Thought you was satisfied with snow for this year, we had our first snowfall for the season this morning, even way down in the lowland. I have to brace for the winter putting on the wintertyres with studs. Looking forward to se your drawing of the engine topview it`s a lot of stuff cramped on to the cylindercover. 
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #532 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 02:40 »
I think you right, I am sure the Germans keep this valve simple. We just need a few more good photo

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #533 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 03:30 »
Hi Gents

A little bit off-topic - I have found following (another) panorama - I think you will like it:
http://www.360cities.net/image/submarine-u-995-and-navy-memorial#328.70,-5.00,75.0

Maciek
Absolutely gourgeous! This shall answer a lot of questions here we have a tool to solve a lot of our mysteries.
 Well done.
Tore

Just to remind another U-995 virtual tours:
http://www.deutschland-panorama.de/museen/laboe_technisches_museum/index.php
http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/index.php?id_id=5373&p=i

And in the end, virtual tours around other U-Boats:
Wilhelm Bauer (Ex U-2540): http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/index.php?id_id=4602&p=
U-505: http://archive.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/virtualtour/index.html
Vesikko: http://www.360cities.net/image/wwii-nazi-submarine-exterior#338.20,0.90,88.3
http://www.kolumbus.fi/mika.ajomaa/Panorama_2.html

--
Regards
Maciek

« Last Edit: 31 Oct , 2012, 06:16 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #534 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 03:37 »
« Last Edit: 31 Oct , 2012, 03:56 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #535 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 12:26 »
Tore, how does this look?

« Last Edit: 01 Nov , 2012, 02:40 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #536 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 13:39 »
I have no photo's of the base, so this is that I think.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #537 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 15:24 »
Simon
Very detailed and high standard. I believe the top nut has a split ( it is a kind of a nut not intergratet in the valvedisc) and that the valvecage boltdown is bit different in order to accommodate the valverocker pedestall. If you look into the main engine page of  u historia you shall find a very good photo of the valvecage and pedestall.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #538 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 15:39 »
Simon further to my last post. The u historia- Technica-Visita Guiada-Sala Diesel-Culata. The Culata photo shows the valvecage with coolingwaterpipes and valvespindle lubeoil pipeconnection and well as the valverockerpedestal (support) very clearly and would for sure help you.
Tore
« Last Edit: 31 Oct , 2012, 15:42 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #539 on: 31 Oct , 2012, 16:52 »
Tore, I am not 100% sure which nut you are talking about "top nut has a split"

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #540 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 00:46 »
Simon.
It`s the nut on the top of the valvespindle as indicated on the picture below. May be you should add the lockingwire as well.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #541 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 02:07 »
Simon further to my last post. The u historia- Technica-Visita Guiada-Sala Diesel-Culata. The Culata photo shows the valvecage with coolingwaterpipes and valvespindle lubeoil pipeconnection and well as the valverockerpedestal (support) very clearly and would for sure help you.
Tore
Simon
Exhaust valve cage
I`m not sure I understand your exhaustcage drawing. Basically the cage looks like the drawing below ( the double spring is not relevant here). On the other photo of a valvecage is only the green part visible protruding out of the cylindercover top and has the coolingwater in and out connection.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:54 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #542 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 02:26 »
Simon.
It`s the nut on the top of the valvespindle as indicated on the picture below. May be you should add the lockingwire as well.
Tore

Thanks, Tore.

I was able to found one of the nuts and the split makes sense. I will update my drawing in the morning. How wide should the split, about 2-4 mm?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #543 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 02:28 »
Simon.
Further to my  above post, below is a picture of the actual connections on the valvecage.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #544 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 02:32 »
Simon.
Tore
Simon
In locked position 2-4 mm would be OK I guess.
Tore

Thanks, Tore.

I was able to found one of the nuts and the split makes sense. I will update my drawing in the morning. How wide should the split, about 2-4 mm?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #545 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 02:40 »
Simon.
Further to my  above post, below is a picture of the actual connections on the valvecage.

Thanks, will be usefull as I am planning to draw this in the morning and was going to ask you about the pipes  ;D

So just checking, the left is the Therm. and the right is a drain line?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #546 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 04:26 »
Yes Simon, the blue pipe on the picture below is a dearation pipe which shall lead to the funnels seen on you picture  not the open air as on the photo. The outletpipe goes eventually to the common coolingwater discharge pipe from the engine I think outboard side.
Tore
« Last Edit: 01 Nov , 2012, 04:39 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #547 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 12:55 »
Tore, I found this very small line. I can only found it in this photo and can not found it on any plans.
  • What is it for?
  • Is it on each valve cage?
  • Where does the line go?

« Last Edit: 01 Nov , 2012, 12:59 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #548 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 12:59 »
Yes Simon, the blue pipe on the picture below is a dearation pipe which shall lead to the funnels seen on you picture  not the open air as on the photo. The outletpipe goes eventually to the common coolingwater discharge pipe from the engine I think outboard side.
Tore

Tore, does the pipe with the funnels just run into the bilge?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #549 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 14:12 »
Tore, how does this look?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #550 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 14:38 »
Tore, I found this very small line. I can only found it in this photo and can not found it on any plans.
  • What is it for?
  • Is it on each valve cage?
  • Where does the line go?

Simon I assume this is the inlet valvecage (no cooling) in that case the small pipe is probably the lubeoil pipe for the valvespindle and sit on every inletvalve like the previous shown pipe on the exhaustvalve sit on every exhaust valvecage.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #551 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 14:46 »
Tore

Tore, does the pipe with the funnels just run into the bilge?
Yes Simon I believe it end up in the bilge in the aft end bilge.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #552 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 14:57 »
Your new valvecages with pipes looks excellent, I believe you shall end up with a extraordinary enginetop.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #553 on: 01 Nov , 2012, 16:08 »
Tore, what are these two pipes? Its looks like the left are sensors and go to the overhead gauges.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #554 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 01:58 »
Simon
Exhaustmanifold.
Below I have indicated the components your inquired. The seacooling water from the engine ends up into the exhaust manifold coolingcasing, with all the bends and pipes, air could easily be trapped causing problems with the coolingsystem, hence the rather extensive deairation, which ends up in a common funnel aft in the engineroom. On the systemsketch below the principle is shown, howewer as you see the practical solution differ slightly from the systemsketch.
 The other item is the wire for remote reading of the exhaust temperature, for each cylinder, hence 6 wires. The 6 analog rectangular meters is very dominating at the manuevering stand.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:55 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #555 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 03:05 »
Simon.
Simon
Unfortunately the inlet and outlet of the cooling waterpipes for the exhaust valvecage have been mixed up, below is the correct system, always the temp. reading on the outlet
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Nov , 2012, 03:08 by tore »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #556 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 07:02 »
Tore -
I have said it before and I shall undoubtedly say it again... Thank you for providing us with so much intimate knowledge of the KNM Kaura/U-995. She deserves to be remembered, and your understanding of her and willingness to help us is outstanding. This Marine very much appreciates your efforts and hope you are having as much fun with this as we are!
Christopher.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #557 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 07:48 »
Christopher
Good to have you back, I assure you I`m having a great fun , it is almost like living my younger days once more. To some of you it might looks a bit crazy to go into tiny details like lockingnuts and wires, but if you have the overall picture correct, tiny details like this adds spices to the dish and I convinced with Simons drawingskills he ends up with an unsurpassed piece of documentation about the VIIC, an icon from WW2 which still obviously fascinates a lot of people. I love to participate and can`t wait to see the result.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #558 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 12:37 »
Tore -
Thank you for the welcome back. In the Northern Hemisphere summers I am rarely indoors, so I have been away from this forum, but I come back. You folks are just too great to leave!
My compliments, of course to Simon and his drawing skills... He has done incredible work and I admire his tenacity and observational skills. As you know, I am working on drawings of a similar nature, but from a different standpoint (and with a different style) for the Bugraum, intending to put as much detail as possible in it. I am working towards the goal of perfecting my drawings and aiming towards making parts for cut-away models like I am prototyping. Hopefully other people can have as much fun as I am with my cut-away project.
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #559 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 12:45 »
Tore, I was wondering, would some of the very small pipes, would they be copper?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #560 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 13:12 »
Simon, copper would be the natural material for the pipes however in last part of WW2 copper was hard to get in Germany and it could be they were forced to change to steel on the U boots built after  last part of 1943 and onwards. I really can`t remember but if you look on f.i.  the lubricatorpipes shown on the photos of U 995 ( launched July 22. 1943) it certainly is copper, so I would say copper depending on what model you go for.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #561 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 13:27 »
Tore -
Thank you for the welcome back. In the Northern Hemisphere summers I am rarely indoors, so I have been away from this forum, but I come back. You folks are just too great to leave!
My compliments, of course to Simon and his drawing skills... He has done incredible work and I admire his tenacity and observational skills. As you know, I am working on drawings of a similar nature, but from a different standpoint (and with a different style) for the Bugraum, intending to put as much detail as possible in it. I am working towards the goal of perfecting my drawings and aiming towards making parts for cut-away models like I am prototyping. Hopefully other people can have as much fun as I am with my cut-away project.
Christopher
I am happy to hear you shall continue you unbelievable work and looking forward to seeing the progress Christopher. I`m now back to the civilisation e.g. proper broadband after my annual 6 months summerstay at my farm in the wilderness of the deep forests. So Christopher shoot your questions I love to answer if I can within my capacity.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #562 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 13:31 »
Simon, copper would be the natural material for the pipes however in last part of WW2 copper was hard to get in Germany and it could be they were forced to change to steel on the U boots built after  last part of 1943 and onwards. I really can`t remember but if you look on f.i.  the lubricatorpipes shown on the photos of U 995 ( launched July 22. 1943) it certainly is copper, so I would say copper depending on what model you go for.
Tore

Thanks, as my drawing of a late war Type VIIC/41 I will go steel.

Also, I am total loss on the (fuel system ?? - Not sure if it the right name). I have no photo's or drawings of this systems of piping or things between the two rocker arms. I have no idea what to draw :( :( Any help will be very useful.

By the way it just started snowing again  :o

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #563 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 14:58 »
Tore

Also, I am total loss on the (fuel system ?? - Not sure if it the right name). I have no photo's or drawings of this systems of piping or things between the two rocker arms. I have no idea what to draw :( :( Any help will be very useful.

Tore

Simon, the encircled area on your photo is the startingvalve system. On the picture below I have indicated the relevant parts. The black pipe is fuelsuctionpipe to the supplypump up front of the engine and the indicated HP fuelpipe is the pipe from the HP fuelpump to the fuelinjector in the cylindercover. Ignore these pipes for the time being and consentrate on the startingpipes/valves. The main startingair supplypipe goes all the way from maneuvringstand along the engine and is almost hidden by the black fuelpipe but you see clearly the connectionflanges on each startingvalve. The smaller pipe on top of the airsupplypipe is the startingvalve controlair and run along the engine as well with a branch off to each startingvalve top. When the main airvalve up front is opened, air is entering the startingair supplyline and when the starting handle is put to start, air is admitted to the top of the startingvalve, force a piston down and the starting valverod gets in contact with the camshaft controlling the lifting of the rod and hence opening of the relevant startingvalve. The engine starts running on air and fuel is admitted and engine is running on fuel. Then the handle is put on run position the top chamber of the startingvalve is vented and a spring push the piston and valve rodarm up, the rod goes down and releases the rod roller from the cams and the startvalve is disengaged.
Tore 
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:56 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #564 on: 02 Nov , 2012, 16:17 »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #565 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 02:11 »
Simon, your fuelrack drawing is impressive. I have linked it up to the isometric sketch showing details of levers at both end. The parts inside the yellow lines are in the camshaftcasing and not visible, up front are the levers partly visible under the lubricator. I`m not sure how much you want to incorporate in you drawing though.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:57 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #566 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 02:51 »
Simon, may be the above picture can be a bit confusing as the photo is showing the fwd linkage. I`ll rectify that with the below picture.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:58 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #567 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 08:09 »
Simon.
I am not sure if your two overhead drawings of the fuelpump/fuelrack is representing port and starboard engine. In case it is, starboard engine pumps are different connected, they are turned 180 degrees  This results that the movement of the fuelrack linkage is opposite that of port engine resulting a different endconnection to the servomotor and fuelhandle. I have indicated below what I try to explain.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:58 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #568 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 12:50 »
Simon.
I am not sure if your two overhead drawings of the fuelpump/fuelrack is representing port and starboard engine. In case it is, starboard engine pumps are different connected, they are turned 180 degrees  This results that the movement of the fuelrack linkage is opposite that of port engine resulting a different endconnection to the servomotor and fuelhandle. I have indicated below what I try to explain.
Tore

Hi Tore

That was a little trickily!! It took me a little bit of time to work that out. It was not a simple 180 ;)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #569 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 14:20 »
Yes Simon, but now comes the difficult bit. The stb servomotor is, I presume,  just kept the same as the port ( not turned), but placed on a mirror engine ( stb) of port engine.The rod for the governor comes up in the same position on mirror execution which mean the rod has to be fitted with a linkage to compensate for a displacement. In addition it should move the fuelrack in the opposite direction which means you have to introduce an extra "rockerarm" to reverse the movement. This is starting to be complicated to explain and I have no picture to show. I suggest you look at the Kubische Panorama to see the difference between port and stb and may be you have other pictures of the detail.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #570 on: 03 Nov , 2012, 14:55 »
Simon
I made two very bad photos of port and starboard linkdifferences for the servo/fuelrack linkages just to show you what to look for.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2013, 02:59 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #571 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 01:27 »
Simon.
Tore

Hi Tore

That was a little trickily!! It took me a little bit of time to work that out. It was not a simple 180 ;)

Simon, I wonder why you have displaced the HP fuelpumps on stb engine  in relation to the port. Basically the centerline for the cylinders are the same and placed right opposite to  each engine. So each fuelpump is directly on the same spot on port and stb engine. The change of the fuelrack between cylinder 3 and 4 is simply a production necessity. The two engineblocks are just  flanged  together right here. The flange make it necessary to move the fuelrack pedestal to another position, hence the fuelrack coupling for cyl. 4 and 5. Se my pictures.
Tore
« Last Edit: 04 Nov , 2012, 01:30 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #572 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 10:51 »
Hi Tore

When I started updating the starboard fuel pumps the other day, it seen worng. So I take a second look at the starboard engine using Kubische Panoramen, and noted the offset of the fuel pumps. From the photo below you can see the offset of the fuel pumps.

Port fuel pump is forward of the rod & starboard fuel pump is aft of the rod.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #573 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 12:05 »
Simon I had the same impression but from an enginering point I couldnt`t believe what I saw. After checking I have come to the conclusion it must be an optical illusion. I cannot se any reason for such an arrangement which would involved another camshaft or place the stb engine a bit forward of the port. I am almost 100% sure the cylindercenterlines on both engines are in line.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #574 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 12:23 »
Tore, I believe you right the cylinder are center lines, but I believe the fuel pumps are offset for so unknown reasons.

If you look at two rods (number 5 & 6 - Marked on the photo), the port fuel pump is right next to no. 5 rod. On the starboard side the fuel pump is right next to no. 6 rod. You can see the gap I have mark on the photo.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #575 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 13:39 »
Tore, I believe you right the cylinder are center lines, but I believe the fuel pumps are offset for so unknown reasons.

If you look at two rods (number 5 & 6 - Marked on the photo), the port fuel pump is right next to no. 5 rod. On the starboard side the fuel pump is right next to no. 6 rod. You can see the gap I have mark on the photo.

Simon I think I have found an explanation. The cylinder centerlines are matching on port and stb engine , the are not displaced in relation to each other. The camshaft is the same on both engines but turned 180 degrees on stb in relation to port, this can be done because port and stb engine have opposite revs direction. The registerdrive have to be fitted on the otherside of the stb camshaft though.  The cylindercovers and crankshaft are turned 180 degrees as well which means the the valves ( except the center placed fuel injectionvalve) change place so on stb the exhaustvalves are forward and on port aft. The startingvalves are forward on stb and aft on port engine.This fit excellent with the camshaft. On the crankshaft the registerdrive ,and vibrationdamper have change place.This is a much cheaper way of building mirror execution engines. On you drawing the visualeffects would be positions of the startingvalves with rods, exhaustvalves with cooling waterpipes , thermometers and lubricatorpipes, inletvalves with lubricatorpipes. if you look at the Kubische Panoramen picture you can clearly see this. On starboard engine the rod for the startingvalve is forward of the HP fuelpump, on port aft. If you check on the top you no doubt would see the different places of the inlet and exhaustvalves.
Tore
« Last Edit: 04 Nov , 2012, 13:42 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #576 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 14:18 »
As an additional information you will see the indicator cocks are aft of the HP fuelpumps on port engine and fwd on the starboard. This means that the HP fuelpumps are placed in the centerline as the fuelinjetorvalves are, so I believe no displacement for these items.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #577 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 14:28 »
Hi Tore

Thanks for the information. But it did show my short coming in machinery knowledge :( I follow must of it, but a bit was over my head ;D

Below, I did a very basic overhead layout on what I understood from the last posts, does this seen correct? Starting to get a little confuse ::)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #578 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 15:04 »
Simon
Sorry sometimes I get carried away. The main thing is that you get the visual facts so your pictures are as correct as possible. It is always  a reason for things are like they are and sometimes when you understand the reason it is easier (for me at least) to get things correct.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #579 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 15:35 »
Hi Tore

No worry, I always like lots of information!

I had again look and I noted the exhaust (dark blue) is forward on each cylinder head, not like my previous drawing.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #580 on: 04 Nov , 2012, 15:54 »
Hi Tore

As I have no photo's of the starting valve system, it extremely hard to get a accurate drawing, so I am drawing the cross-section to help me in the other views. How does this look below? I am still adding detail to the drawing.

Thanks, Simon.

« Last Edit: 04 Nov , 2012, 15:56 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #581 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 00:23 »
Simon not bad. The rocker arm, indicated in black, goes to the other side of the fulcrum, just like the exhaust/inletvalve rocker arms. The valve rockerarms engages the valvespindle in a slot. I am in doubt about the valve you have placed on the control airpipe to the top of the valve, do you have a picture of that? Below on my picture I have tried to explain a bit more on the details.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #582 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 01:04 »
Simon judging from your last posted picture I got the impression that my post yesterday was a bit confusing. I`m posting your photo where I have indicated what I mean to say.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #583 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 01:07 »
I am in doubt about the valve you have placed on the control airpipe to the top of the valve, do you have a picture of that?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #584 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 01:34 »
Simon
I guess it is OK!
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #585 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 08:46 »
Hi Tore

As I have no photo's of the starting valve system, it extremely hard to get a accurate drawing, so I am drawing the cross-section to help me in the other views. How does this look below? I am still adding detail to the drawing.

Thanks, Simon.

Simon, the crossection drawing behind your startingvalve drawing is one of the best I have seen so far. Do you have a full section? That could help a lot in explaining the various components
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #586 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 10:44 »
Hi Tore

Here a original German photo that show the valve on U-564, also very interesting is you can see that the have painted the inside of the rocker arm.

(source: U-boat War Patrol - The Hidden Photographic Diary of U564 By Paterson, Lawrence)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #587 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 11:58 »
Simon.
Painting of the engines did not`t have a navy code and was for us anyhow something which was up to the engineers, sometimes overruled in extreme cases by the chief engineer. One rule however, moving machined parts,springs, shafts,handles etc was always kept shiny metallic. Painting inside the valve rockerarms would be OK particularly if you have a metallic rim as seen on the picture. On Laboe U 995 painting is far overdone and moving parts are painted to such an extent that they look like they are  casted (intgrated) to F.I. a fulcrum.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #588 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 12:11 »
I imagine on a long patrol at sea, someone in the engine room got bore and decided to full a few days painting things  ;D ;D

Added a little bit more detail. Tore, how does the new parts look ok?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #589 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 12:30 »
Yes Simon I have experienced that more than once. We had one guy once who painted all the nuts on the engine red. It looked horrible and we came to the conclusion the engine got the measels. I revert in a minute as to your new details on the cylindercover.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #590 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 13:04 »
Simon , I am still puzzled about you sort of half rocker arm (the black outline). This is a full rockerarm ( yellow) and gets in contact with the valvespindle and lower it so the startingvalve opens. Se my picture below. Otherwise everything looks nice.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #591 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 13:30 »
Hi Tore.

No need to be puzzled about the half drawn rocker arm as I only did this drawing to help me with my

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #592 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 13:44 »
Simon. Great very interesting to see how you do it! :D
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #593 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 14:40 »
Tore, this is the best I can currently do with the starting valve system with the photo's & plans I have. I am sure there are missing details but that will have to wait to till we get more information.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #594 on: 05 Nov , 2012, 15:04 »
Simon. It is definitely getting better! When the reminding items get into place it shall be cramped.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #595 on: 06 Nov , 2012, 02:08 »
Simon.
Cylindercover bolt/nuts
The arrangement and look of the cylindercover bolts and nuts migth be a bit confusing. The cyl. covers are bolted to the cyl. block by 8 bolts symmetrically placed as the yellow dots on drawing below. The confusing part is that you don`t see the two inboard nuts marked purple on the drawing. I guess they are placed in recesses under the exhaust/inletvalve rocker pedestals. The reason would be that these studs don`t go all the way to the covertop as they would obstruct the dismantling of the cover. Sleevenuts would be used to reach the shorter studs in the recesses and the top of the nuts shall be flush with the cyl. cover I guess. Anyhow, for your drawing it means, I believe, the yellow nuts are the only to be visible.
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Nov , 2012, 05:38 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #596 on: 06 Nov , 2012, 05:33 »
Simon
In addition to my last post the overhead drawing of the enginetop shows large circular objects between the cyl. covers inboard side. The engine is built up of caststeel pieces, the majors being the crankcase and the cylinderblocks. They are bolted together by mean of long tiebolts with nuts on the lower parts ( in the crankcase) and heads on top of the cyl. block. There are alltogether 14 tiebolts 7 inboard and 7 outboard, on the drawing 7 inboard and 1 outboard are visible. In order not to obstruct the fitting of the cylindercovers, the heads of the tierods are fitted in  recesses in the cylinderblock, the recesses are covered by  steelplates and that is the circles you see on the overhead drawing. By the way, putting the inboard cylindercover studs ( the short ones) in  recesses makes it possible to accommodate the rockerarm pedestals on the top.
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Nov , 2012, 10:31 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #597 on: 06 Nov , 2012, 08:32 »
Final?  The details of cyl cover top. One item remains to be identified, the safetyvalve, which is a pressure reliefvalve and you can barely see the top protruding out of the cylindercover top. The place is indicated below.
The cooling watercock looks a bit strange, but it is because the function is you can lead the water out from the cylinderblock cooling either fully through the exhaustvalve (series) or partly ( parallel) depending upon the need.
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Nov , 2012, 10:32 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #598 on: 06 Nov , 2012, 13:01 »
Simon.
Cylindercover bolt/nuts
The arrangement and look of the cylindercover bolts and nuts migth be a bit confusing. The cyl. covers are bolted to the cyl. block by 8 bolts symmetrically placed as the yellow dots on drawing below. The confusing part is that you don`t see the two inboard nuts marked purple on the drawing. I guess they are placed in recesses under the exhaust/inletvalve rocker pedestals. The reason would be that these studs don`t go all the way to the covertop as they would obstruct the dismantling of the cover. Sleevenuts would be used to reach the shorter studs in the recesses and the top of the nuts shall be flush with the cyl. cover I guess. Anyhow, for your drawing it means, I believe, the yellow nuts are the only to be visible.
Tore

Hi Tore

This is fantastic! I do not realize that were was eight cylinder cover bolt/nuts. This is the detail I love ;D I have updated both my drawings (top and side views). Below are the updated drawings, it a little hard to see all the cylinder cover bolt/nuts.

Thanks, Simon.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #599 on: 06 Nov , 2012, 13:57 »
Simon. Excellent, this is going to be the best ( except for the design drawings) drawing of the GW M6V 40/46 engine made ever. A small detail, check the diameter of the HP fuelpipe in relation to the airpipes, particularly the controlair branch to the top of the startingair valve. It seems to me the fuelpipe is slightly too large or more probable the airpipes slightly too small.
Tore