Author Topic: Flower Class Corvettes in DKM service  (Read 6890 times)

rhettscott

Flower Class Corvettes in DKM service
« on: 20 Jul , 2010, 18:34 »
I was reading on line that there were four Flower Class Corvettes captured by Germany when they took France.  Does anyone have a clue what direction to point me in? I have a copy of the one blurry photo I could find.  This looks like an interesting conversion project for the Revell 1/72 kit.  Any photo evidence, links or written wrd on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is my first post. No, I don't even have the kit yet, just researching to see if it is worthwhile.

I came to the forum because of the excellent U-Boat coverage here.  Thanks for all of your excellent collaboration.

rgds,
Rhett

TRM

Re: Flower Class Corvettes in DKM service
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul , 2010, 20:00 »
Welcome Rhett,

Flower Class Corvettes:  http://www.german-navy.de/cgi-bin/sitesearch.php.cgi      This is off the German Naval History Website

Try this...I don't think there is any here, but my French is rusty:  http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/planbato/planbato/listebato/listebato.php

Awesome plans anyway....

Last, but not least the book below.  This sounds like an interesting project.  Let us know how you make out.

Good luck!

TRM

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul , 2010, 20:12 »
Hello again Rhett,

I guess I wasn't done...
  Flower Class Corvette Build

Kriegsmarine Flower class

;D

rhettscott

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul , 2010, 18:58 »
TRM,
Thanks for the excellent links!  I had seen the longer article about the 4 captured Flowers with the  photos and line drawings.  It is an excellent piece of work given the apparent lack of quality photos of the 4 Flowers.  The written description is likely enough to take some license from the 3 existing photos and move out smartly.

Now, to find the elusive USS Saucy version of the kit!

As a follow-on, I have been looking and see the excellentsites for detail and update kits for the Revell Flower kit and the S-100 kits.  I think these will contain much of the gear I will need.

Does anyone know of a source for quality 10.5cm enclosed DKM deck turret in 1/72 scale? this would be the trick for the forward gun with a series of 20mm singles, duals and flakvierlings for the remaining armament.  I am guessing I will need replacement depth charge racks and cans as well.

Great ideas for adequate numbers of crew between CMK, Andrea and Hecker and Goros...any other DKM crew I should be looking for?

rgds to all,
Rhett

rhettscott

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul , 2010, 10:15 »
Okay, having heard nothing for a few days, I will assume no one knows of 1/72 scale sources for German Navy deck guns like the single mounted 10.5cm with shield. Still looking for advice or photos of these deck guns so, worst case I can have a go at making them myself.

I have the USS Saucy version of the Revell Flower kit on the way to the house, paid about $65 with postage...seems a fair price for an out of production kit. I believe I will shoot for making the PA2 which seems to have had the most significant impact as a captured, then completed ex-Flower.

Now turning attention to other kits I can ravage for essential parts.  I will be looking for an Airfix 1/72 E-Boat to take the Depth Charge rails, probably 2 flak 38 versions of the S100 to steal the flak 38s. I will also take all the floats and dinghies and re-purpose them.Am also searching for gun tubs that will match up fromt he after market, although these would be easy to build.  I did not find enough of the required guns from the WEM selection. If anyone else knows of places that make accurate after market products for the 1/72 U-boats, S Boats or E-Boats, I am all ears.

From the excellent after market selections for the 1/72 Flower kit and the spread of photo-etch for the S Boat, I think I can get much of the way there; except for the armament.

rgds,
Rhett Scott

TRM

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul , 2010, 19:35 »
Rhett,

Sorry to here about the lack of information.  Not sure what you can find here:

Naval Weapon of the World

here:  Same site,different link

Last resort...Axis History Forum  Give a search or join...quick search:Forum listing for 10.5cm

Also, query changes on your searches....Booklet of plans, general booklet, diagrams, schematics, line drawing, etc. with any combination cross referencing boats, manufacturers even years made might work.

Good Luck

rhettscott

« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug , 2010, 14:51 »
TRM,
Thanks once again for your excellent suggestions.  I pulled down several diagrams and photos of "typical" single mount 10.5cm guns and will have a go at a scratch build when it comes time.  For now, I will continue to plan to pillage a few S-100 and E-Boat kits for other guns, carly floats and other things I will need.  I think some of the details from Great Little Ships may also work, especially their bandstands, since I will need at least two or three more than the Flowers were built with.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
rgds,
Rhett

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #7 on: 06 Aug , 2010, 05:29 »
Keep us posted it's a great project!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

rhettscott

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug , 2010, 13:52 »
Rokket and others,
Okay, so things move slowly.  I have acquired two of the old MPC/Airfix E-boats to scavenge accessories, crew and guns. I am looking at the mine racks to see if one set will do, or if I will be taking both and combining them, at least in part.

I am still looking for any ideas on how to find more than the usual 3-4 photos of the ex-Flowers in German service in Le Havre port. Between the German Archives and French Archives, I expected at least a few more shots.

I am now also looking for photo resources for WWII era shipboard activity on all smaller vessels DDs on down to get ideas for what the Flowers would have looked like in action.  I assume the Germans would have done anything they could to "normalize" these boats to other vessels in the fleet.  After all, they are know for being bureaucratic to a fault.

My next task is to get ahold of the flakvierlings for the two mounts. Probably means getting two S-100 kits to strip down as I have listed above.

More as I go.
rgds,
Rhett Scott

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug , 2010, 08:33 »
the kit bashing is great resource.

I don't have any ideas for photo sources....but this is a great project
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz