Author Topic: 1/72 gato  (Read 9353 times)

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
1/72 gato
« on: 02 Feb , 2008, 21:28 »
Hey all,

Just thought I let everyone know I just received the Monster 1/72 Gato as an early B-day gift. Maybe I can do a in box reveiw and post it.

Mike K

Re: 1/72 gato
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb , 2008, 11:21 »
Just out of curiosity, Wildspear, have you decided which boat you plan to build?

And while I'm here. Hey! Rokket, where are those Tench outer door slides? It's been awful quiet for a while.

Mike K.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb , 2008, 11:31 »
Hey Mike,

I plan to build her as USS Silversides SS-236. The actual sub is moored just down the road from me, also me son and I spent the night on her a couple of years ago with his boy scout troop.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 05 Feb , 2008, 04:11 »
Tench doors...hmmm.never heard of em before!

OK, the outer door 2nd master prototype is done, working on Gato shutter, THEN Tench. But on the + side, the VIIC is done except for crew, so very close on Gato/Balao/Tench
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb , 2008, 23:19 »
Hey All,

I was looking at the paint scheme for the USS Silversides (MS 9)

"Vertical Surfaces:
Paint entire submarine above the waterline black, formula 82. The painting shall be carried over all parts which are visible for the air including the numbers, capstan and running light boards and bridge rails. The radio insulators shall be dark. The shall be no boot topping. The underbody shall be painted with the current issues of bottom antifouling paints.
Horizontal Surfaces:
All horizontal surfaces except wood decks shall be painted Dark Gray 5-D. The systems differ only in the painting of the vertical surfaces. In case of doubt, as on sloping surfaces, use Dark Gray 5-D."

Question is.....Where do I find what color of anti-fouling paint was used?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb , 2008, 00:58 »
Threw in my 2 cents on another forum, but I think they had a black, like the VIIC.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb , 2008, 00:11 »
I have a question....... The USS Silversides was made at the Mare Island Navy Yard. Who or what was the actual company that built her? Or where would I find the info?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb , 2008, 03:19 »
Mare Island was a navy yard, I'm pretty sure it was was Navy guys, but that's an excellent question: did they employ a firm? Altho the way it's talked about, Elec Boat was employed and was most certainly NOT the Navy.

Hmmm, looked up some info, go to:
http://www.fas.org/man/company/shipyard/mare_island.htm
for some good stuff!

In 1950s 13,000 civy employees, and during WWII built Destroyer USS Ward in 17.5 days! Wow!

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #8 on: 29 Feb , 2008, 06:57 »
Rokket,

Thanks for the quick reply. That was a good read and some great info for that ship yard.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: 01 Mar , 2008, 15:32 »
No worries. I love finding stuff lie that. was reading about the training facility in San Francisco, too.

There's good 40s general info and fun stuff at The Fedora Lounge - not Navy, but still worth a visit (and they do have a military uniform section):
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar , 2008, 14:47 »
Just sitting here and I had a question pop into my head.......I know that each sub of the same class wasn't built the same way even if it was in the same yard, but would things like the Flood(at loss for the right name) holes be the same? I have some pics of the USS Silversides but not many and I was wondering if the other subs built at Mare Island would have the same configuration of the flood holes?

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #11 on: 06 Mar , 2008, 06:49 »
Wildspear,
As far as I know, boats built at the same yard during the same time frame would look the same-with only minor diffedences. Changes were made to their methods and design as war experience necessitated. These were made as construction permitted. Thus, boats biult as a group as in MI's case (4-5) were very similar although they were completed at somewhat different times. The changes that made individual boats look so different came along during refits between patrols where the Captain had his personal wants also added (within reason). Refits were handled by theatre yards (Pearl Harbor and Australia) and MI (for Pacific boats). Please ask Mike K if I'm right- he's lived all of this! Be patient, SS236 details will come along.

Mike K

« Reply #12 on: 06 Mar , 2008, 11:16 »
Tas has pretty well called it. Differences were rather minor, and reflected the Captain's preferences. Deck gun fore or aft, conning tower guns, 40mm or 20mm, fore and/or aft and conning tower shape (as better ideas came along), are the kind of variations you'd see at launching.

Limber hole ( the free flood openings in the superstructure) pattern would be a yard call, with little change from ship to ship.

The Flood Ports and Flood Valve (on the bottom of the tanks, to allow water to flow into the tanks) location would be pretty well fixed in each class.
   Flood Valves would be round (best shape for a valve) except for the Negative and Safety tanks, where the actual valve(s) were up, inside the tank. And not really visible, from the outside. From the outside, the Negative and Safety tank openings would look like standard Flood Ports.
   Flood Ports could be round, oblong (oval), rectangular, or trapezoidal ( truncated triangle).  And no sharp corners. Roughly, <>1" radius. And which would depend on what year, which yard design and what Class.
   Since Silversides was an early Gato, my guess would be oval Flood Ports. But don't hold me to it. Too many fingers were in the pie, by then. Get drawings from Floating Drydock and go with that.
   Just for clarification here are a few more. commonly used (or misused) terms:
  Superstructure/casing/topside - the deck, deck supports and all the other stuff piled on top of the pressure hull.
   Free flood - the area between the deck and the pressure hull.
   Conning tower - the water tight pressure vessel on top the pressure hull. ALSO, the fairing (fair water)over the actual conning tower (now referred to as a Sail, on Nukes there is no conning tower).
   I hope this helps, but it, probably doesn't.
Mike K.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #13 on: 06 Mar , 2008, 11:32 »
It does help mike. Like I said I'm a ground pounder by training so I know allot about war on the dirt fields but little on the ocean plains. Any and all help is welcomed. I'll be getting these books so I'll be a little more knowledgeable.

Warship Pictorial GATO Type Fleet Submarine
WW2 US Gato Class Submarines Sub Squadron Signal Book

Mike K

« Reply #14 on: 07 Mar , 2008, 09:18 »
   Good choice, Wildspear, I have both, they're outstanding.
 Three others, that I'd recommend, and are still available are:
 1) Osprey's, New Vanguard, "US Submarines 1941-45" by Jim Christley.
 2) "U.S.S. Cod, WWII Submarine Memorial" from Oxford Press.
 3) "Fleet Submarines of World War Two" from Floating Drydock
Lots of great detail info.

Three more, worth having, but out of print, are:
 1) "Profile Warship #34 USS Barb (SS-220)" from Profile publications
 2) "U.S.Subs in action" Warships No. 2. The old one from Squadron. Still good
 3) Leeward Publication's "Ship's Data 5  USS Bowfin (SS287)
 IF you can find any of them, and they're not too expensive, grab them.

Lastly, keep and eye on Periscope Film's site. They already released "The fleet Submarine" (which I swear by), and there are more in the pipe line. Also checkout their DVDs. Some of those movies, I haven't seen since the late 60s - early 70s, and others, never. AND, unlike what we see on TV, most of the reproductions are as clear as the originals. They must have some kind of filter-software, that cleans them up, a bit.
And remember, good books and reference material, beats all the experience in world, when it's coupled to an old memory. Most people forget, more than they ever learn.
Green Board and DBF,
Mike K.