Author Topic: Grief's late war VIIC build  (Read 22434 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Grief's late war VIIC build
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 05:19 »
Hi Greif.

If you get time one day, I was wondering if you could measurement, two distances around the schnorchel base from your model for me. As I want to check the spacing around the port side of the schnorchel for piping. The two measurements are: The width of the wooden deck and the other is the width from the edge of the wooden deck to the schnorchel ram. Thanks Simon.

Hi Simon, I will get the measurements when I get home from work and email them to you.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 13:06 »
Hi Greif.

If you get time one day, I was wondering if you could measurement, two distances around the schnorchel base from your model for me. As I want to check the spacing around the port side of the schnorchel for piping. The two measurements are: The width of the wooden deck and the other is the width from the edge of the wooden deck to the schnorchel ram. Thanks Simon.

Hi Simon, I will get the measurements when I get home from work and email them to you.

Hi Simon, the short measurement is:  2.1mm and the long measurement is:  7.9mm.  Hope this helps!

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #62 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 13:13 »
Got some work done on the model today.  The decks are painted, I used WEM Tire Black which gives a nice tone.  I plan to weather the decks using a brown wash.  We will see how it goes! 

Overall I am satisfied with the base coat, which sprayed very nicely.

The conning tower is nearing completion.  I installed the rails and did some minor detail painting to the tower hatch and conning tower base.  Once everything is dry I plan to attach the conning tower to the hull.

I still can't post a picture to the thread, so the update pictures are in the "On the Bench" section of the gallery.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #63 on: 05 Feb , 2009, 23:39 »
checking them out!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #64 on: 06 Feb , 2009, 13:59 »
Hi guys, it been a few days since my last update.  I was away on a working trip this past week. 

Most of the construction and painting is finished; the boat has been glossed with future, and I have started weathering.  I still can't seem to post pictures in the thread and have posted 8 recent shots in the gallery's "On the Bench" section.

The first 3 pictures show the conning tower, which is complete and ready for weathering.  The decals represent U-228 as she looked just prior to her 6th and last war patrol.

The next photo shows the torpedo loading area.  I still need to weather the hatches.

Photo 5 was taken near the stern and shows the weathered deck.  I used a brown wash to give the deck a worn look.

The final 3 pictures show the G-7e torpedo on the loading tray, and a couple group shots of the crew (The photos are not very good, unfortunately).

Tomorrow I plan to weather the boat.

By the way, I am selling a little used Badger 100 LG (Fine Needle/Tip), with two extra needles and an extra head assembly.  I am asking $50.00 and thought I would see if any of you are interested.  I'm not really interested in making a profit or recouping the money I paid for it, rather I would like to see it go to a good home to give a fellow modelers a bit of joy.

Enjoy the pictures!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #65 on: 06 Feb , 2009, 16:23 »
Nice, looking very good, and getting close!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #66 on: 07 Feb , 2009, 00:42 »
Thanks Wink!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #67 on: 09 Feb , 2009, 11:16 »
Hi guys, I hope you will all excuse me while I vent a bit. 

I came home from work today with the expectation of putting the finishing touches on my u-boat.  When I walked through my front door my wife met me with that expression on her face that said "bad news".  When I asked what was wrong she said her sister had visited earlier this afternoon and that my 9 year old nephew, he of the "unable to either follow instructions and leave hands OFF other people's things type of brat", had gone downstairs into my modeling room.

To make a long story short, he grabbed my nearly complete U-228 to play, even though he knows my modeling room and all models are OFF LIMITS!. Well the damage is fairly extensive with various broken railings the torpedo loading cradle being the worst casualties.  I'm still trying to figure out how, or even if, I can repair the damage and make the u-boat look presentable.

I'm normally a pretty even-keeled person, but this nearly sent me into orbit.  Good thing my sister-in-law had already departed with the brat or there would have been a very ugly scene as I reverted back to my senior NCO days while dealing with undisciplined fools.

Anyway, thanks for letting me blow off some steam; being craftsmen yourselves I'm sure you understand my feeling about this.  I actually feel I little better now.  Time to assess and see if a can somehow turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Thanks guys,
Ernest

Mr.Mox

« Reply #68 on: 09 Feb , 2009, 11:36 »
Sorry to hear that, too bad some people aren

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #69 on: 09 Feb , 2009, 14:17 »
Sorry to hear that, too bad some people aren

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #70 on: 16 Feb , 2009, 00:08 »
SO sorry to hear about this, Ernest...it's not even the time and effort 9tho that is obviously a huge part), it comes down to some damage is not repairable (without making worse). Our sympathies.

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #71 on: 04 Aug , 2009, 11:08 »
I put a Nautilus deck on my Type II and I primed it with a clear laquer from a rattlecan to seal it - afterwards I just painted it with acryllics

I also have Nautilus decks under construction and i was wondering how they should be painted...  The Nautilus instructions say that they should be painted with enamel paints. I prefer using acrylics so if i understood correctly the wooden deck could be sealed/primed with non water based clear coat? Any suggestions? Maybe http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam85013.htm this?

Anakin

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: 05 Aug , 2009, 03:08 »
I stained the deck with wood stain, two different colours. The stain had a sealer built into it. Then I weathered by dabbing various shades of black/charcoal, in a combo dab and drybrush (I used old brushes and ruined one down to a stump). I happen to love enamel, but acrylic would probably be ok, tho the dabbing method might not be so good, drybrushing better. Because the paint was pretty solid and "bitey" I did NOT seal.

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/prog10.shtml

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #73 on: 09 Aug , 2009, 04:18 »
Hi Ernest,
I just found this thread and it is quite impressive. Keep up the good work!
The Revell's VIIC/41 is definitely on my "to-do list" so I will follow this build with great interest.

-Libor
« Last Edit: 09 Aug , 2009, 04:33 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

bracco_n

« Reply #74 on: 09 Aug , 2009, 16:47 »
It is actually finished, look for a thread called U-228 is commisioned to see the final result