Author Topic: Grief's late war VIIC build  (Read 22453 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Grief's late war VIIC build
« Reply #45 on: 20 Jan , 2009, 15:03 »
Looking good Ernest!  :o
I like the way you improved the radio loop. ;)
So next step- the railings? Any thoughts on that?

Thank you for the complement, Siara.

Ahhh.....if only I had the equipment and knowhow to solder.  I do plan to learn, once a convince Frau Roth that I need yet more modelling tools!

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #46 on: 20 Jan , 2009, 15:19 »
It isnt really that expensive- have look:
http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalog/Dremel_Multitip.html

and instead of the solder you need the Koki paste:
http://www.techgsm.com/Solder_paste_for_SMD_KOKI_40g,3937.html

Thats it.
Soldering with it is pure pleasure. Trust me- youll never look back.
That was the best buy in my inventory. i have never regreted it.
Highly recommended.

Cezar

« Reply #47 on: 20 Jan , 2009, 20:16 »
Yep, Siara is right, good torch plus Koki paste makes soldering easier than ever.
Great build by the way, i'll copy some of it, just half the size  ;)
Cezar.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #48 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 06:14 »
Its been a couple of days since my last update.  Had to cut back on modeling while a completed some home projects.  Also, my faithful compressor of 23 years gave up the ghost. 

I ended up buying a Harder and Steenbeck 16A compressor and have enclosed a few photos.  I'll let everyone know how it works once I get some airbrushing in.

Some in progress pictures are in the gallery under the "On the Bench" section.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #49 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 07:28 »
Nice compressor- how much did it set you back?

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #50 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 14:11 »
Hi Siara,

I paid Euro 225, including shipping.  Just finished some airbrushing.  The compressor work very well.  Its noise level is about what a freezer or fridge is.  It puts out pulse free air; and the air tank cuts down on the motor running.

I sprayed primer on the copper and PE parts at 20psi with my Badger 100LG.  Overall, I am very pleased so far.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #51 on: 25 Jan , 2009, 13:44 »
Latest Update:

Just finished painting the conning tower, upper hull, and various railings and other parts.  I used WEM DKM Dunkelgrau 51.  I usually airbrush with acylics, but I wanted to try the WEM paint.  Overall I am pleased with it.  I sprayed at 20 psi after thinning the paint 60/40 with lacquer thinner.  I have posted a few pictures in the "On the Bench" section of the gallery.

Enjoy!

Mr.Mox

« Reply #52 on: 26 Jan , 2009, 00:53 »
Looks nice - and a very tidy workspace too, disturbing  ;D

Test:

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #53 on: 26 Jan , 2009, 04:59 »
Hi Jan, thanks for the comment!  Trust me, the work area is not always this clean!  :)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #54 on: 26 Jan , 2009, 15:46 »
Spotless.  ;D
I like the WEM colour- it really is nice shade. Unfortunatelly i hadd bad experience using these paints, and switched to Tamiyas.
Family was glad too.   :D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #55 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 00:49 »
I like the "bite" of enamel, thinner poisoning be damned!

I use a similar pressure ratio to Greif. Things improved with a moisture trap in the airbrush line. (Single Action Paasche). But I ended up only spraying above the waterline, and brushed below (thin-thin paint tho).
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #56 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 14:06 »
Hi Siara and Rokket,

thanks for the kind comments.  I prefer airbrushing with acrylics, but thought I would give the WEM paints a try.  I agree the color matching is excellent.  However, they can be a bit of a challenge to airbrush.  At least for me, there is not much room for error with getting the correct combo of viscosity, pressure and distance to lay down really smooth coats.  Alas, I did not succeed competely in getting it right with this model.  I managed to get a bit of the dreaded "orange peel" effect in a couple of spots; spots that I don't think I can correct as they are in very tight locations with PE.  From 25 cm's away and further the paint job looks just fine.  Closer in, not so much. 

Guess I won't be entering this build into any contests!  I can live with the results as this U-boat is going to my brother-in-law where it will reside over his fireplace.  He looked at the upper hull painting yesterday and proclaimed it a work of art - if he only knew.  I will look at the glass as half-full on this one!

I ordered both KM paint sets from Lifecolor and plan to use them on my Type II build.  Nothing against the WEM paints; but I think I will stick with acrylics for airbrushing as I have developed the skill to spray them smoothly.

I put a couple of pictures in the gallery "On the Bench" section that I took after spraying the lower hull.  WEM paints, Schiffsbodenfarbe Grau III.   
« Last Edit: 27 Jan , 2009, 14:20 by Greif »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #57 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 04:24 »
It's funny, my wife and also my best mate have great effect with acrylics, me, nothing but trouble! (TIP: don't buy the official thinner, it;s waaaay too expensive, you can use methylated spirits! Supposedly the official thinner has an extra additive, but in practical terms, methylated spirits work fine.
I had the orange peel with acrylics, prt of problem was masking before thoroughly cured.

Artists are always their own worst critics, it will be beautiful on your bro-in-law's mantel!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jan , 2009, 15:06 »
Hi Greif.

If you get time one day, I was wondering if you could measurement, two distances around the schnorchel base from your model for me. As I want to check the spacing around the port side of the schnorchel for piping. The two measurements are: The width of the wooden deck and the other is the width from the edge of the wooden deck to the schnorchel ram. Thanks Simon.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jan , 2009, 05:18 »
It's funny, my wife and also my best mate have great effect with acrylics, me, nothing but trouble! (TIP: don't buy the official thinner, it;s waaaay too expensive, you can use methylated spirits! Supposedly the official thinner has an extra additive, but in practical terms, methylated spirits work fine.
I had the orange peel with acrylics, prt of problem was masking before thoroughly cured.

Artists are always their own worst critics, it will be beautiful on your bro-in-law's mantel!

Thanks Rokket!  You are right about being our own worst critics.  I was moaning to my wife about the conning tower.  She looked it over and told me she couldn't understand why I was complaining.  When I pointed out the problem area she replied, "Oh that tiny place.  Ernest, you need a magnifier to see it!"  :D