Author Topic: Grief's late war VIIC build  (Read 22356 times)

Mr.Mox

Re: Grief's late war VIIC build
« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 00:38 »
Nice and slick build - Greif, Guess I have to get a set of replacement barrels for my kit...

I put a Nautilus deck on my Type II and I primed it with a clear laquer from a rattlecan to seal it - afterwards I just painted it with acryllics and washed with oils - no warp on the deck - but I did ad some supports on the hull running under the deck, and since the VII is much wider than the II it might be a good idea.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 00:53 »
Guns are looking good. Im at the stage of building the 20mm MG, and i wish it look as good as yours.
The 37 is fantastic! ;)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 01:30 »
Nice and slick build - Greif, Guess I have to get a set of replacement barrels for my kit...

I put a Nautilus deck on my Type II and I primed it with a clear laquer from a rattlecan to seal it - afterwards I just painted it with acryllics and washed with oils - no warp on the deck - but I did ad some supports on the hull running under the deck, and since the VII is much wider than the II it might be a good idea.

Thanks Jan!  Yep, supports for the wooden decks are always a safe bet.  I never thought to use clear laquer to seal the wooden deck and paint it with acrylics.  The first one a painted, I primed it first then painted it with acrylics.  I like your idea better as I think it will reduce the amount of sanding to get rid of the "fuzzys".  Thanks for the tip!

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 01:35 »
Guns are looking good. Im at the stage of building the 20mm MG, and i wish it look as good as yours.
The 37 is fantastic! ;)

Hi Siara, and thank you for the kind comments.  I don't think you need to worry about the looks of your 2.0 cm; based on your previous work it will be beautiful!

The 3.7 cm turned out fairly nice.  To tell the truth I was glad to finish it as the PE was not very "user friendly" and planning the construction with both the kit and PE instruction sheets required me to burn alot of brain cells.  :D

Ernest 

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #34 on: 16 Jan , 2009, 14:57 »
Not much to update today.  I have competed filling and sanding the deck.  The photo-etch parts have been attached.  The hull is about 95% complete.  Next up will be completing the 2.0 cm guns and working on the conning tower decks adding PE to them.

Enjoy the pictures!

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #35 on: 16 Jan , 2009, 16:34 »
Did you enjoy adding the hinges?  ;D

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #36 on: 17 Jan , 2009, 13:33 »
Did you enjoy adding the hinges?  ;D

My eyes did not!   :o

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #37 on: 17 Jan , 2009, 13:51 »
Small update:  The 2.0 cm guns are finished.  Attached is a picture of one of them.  (See Siara, I told there was nothing to worry about with your 2.0 cm!  :D)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #38 on: 17 Jan , 2009, 17:09 »
(See Siara, I told there was nothing to worry about with your 2.0 cm!  :D)

Yeah- but yours is finished, while mine is far from. Nothing wrong with this zwiling anyway- looks super with these Schatton barrels.

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #39 on: 18 Jan , 2009, 04:56 »
Greif, I really like Your building, pretty much what i want to do when I find time (just finished our 9 month 1/1 scale baby girl build   :)  )

but these container thing on Your zwilling: isn't it placed frontal and not on the side ??? (see VII gallery U 333 late)
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jan , 2009, 05:42 »
(See Siara, I told there was nothing to worry about with your 2.0 cm!  :D)

Yeah- but yours is finished, while mine is far from. Nothing wrong with this zwiling anyway- looks super with these Schatton barrels.

Thanks Siara, but as rabapla correctlz pointed out, I placed the storage box in the wrong place.  :-[  Just got through priming to, I'll see if I can reposition it without destroying something.  Grrr.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #41 on: 18 Jan , 2009, 05:45 »
Greif, I really like Your building, pretty much what i want to do when I find time (just finished our 9 month 1/1 scale baby girl build   :)  )

but these container thing on Your zwilling: isn't it placed frontal and not on the side ??? (see VII gallery U 333 late)

Hi rabapla, good eye and thanks for the catch on the storage box placement.  Just finished priming, darn!  I'll try and move the storage boxes without wrecking something.

Congratulations on your baby girl!  I'll bet the "build" process was even more fun then model building.  ;)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #42 on: 19 Jan , 2009, 11:29 »
Latest Update:  the hull has been primed, imperfections fixed and sanded.  I plan to paint the upper hull tomorrow if all goes well.  I am using the WEM paints, the upper hull will be Dunkelgrau 51, as well the conning tower.

The upper and lower conning tower parts have been primed, the interior painted, and they have been joined.  I need to do a little filling and sanding of the joint, but it fit well so I won't have to do alot.  After that I'll add a few small PE parts and the rails.

The AA guns have been painted and are awaiting final assembly to the conning tower, (which well take place near the end of construction).

I will post photos as soon as Wink has sorted out the bug which is preventing me from doing so.  :)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #43 on: 20 Jan , 2009, 13:33 »
Hi everyone, as the bug is still not letting me post picture in this thread, I posted several "In Progress" shots in the gallery's "On the Bench" section.

Hope you like them and feedback is welcome!

Ernest

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #44 on: 20 Jan , 2009, 13:49 »
Looking good Ernest!  :o
I like the way you improved the radio loop. ;)
So next step- the railings? Any thoughts on that?