Author Topic: Grief's late war VIIC build  (Read 22354 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Grief's late war VIIC build
« Reply #15 on: 08 Jan , 2009, 14:00 »
Update Two:

The following photos show some progress on the upper conning tower.  Several of the Eduard PE parts have been attached and most of the filling and sanding is done.  Other then the PE parts the only detailing I opted to do here was drilling out the Voice Tube.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #16 on: 08 Jan , 2009, 14:10 »
Final update for today:

I had planned to attach the upper conning tower to the lower conning tower.  Normally I try to build as much as possible before painting.  However, while dryfitting I noticed that painting the conning tower deck, the wooden slats and some of the inner sides would be very difficult with everything assembled.  So, I have opted to paint the deck and interior and then assemble, putty, sand and paint the outer tower.

Three photos in this update.  The first is the Eduard PE "Runddipol" which is a huge improvement over the kit part.

The second photo is my scratch-built "Runddipol" on top of the snort.  Because of space restrictions in the snort trough I had to use a bit of artistic license and put the "Runddipol" on the top instead of the starboard side.

The final photo is the base I made for the boat.

Greif

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jan , 2009, 01:05 »
Progressing very nicely
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #18 on: 09 Jan , 2009, 02:10 »
Thank you Rokket!  How is the weather "Down Under"? In Germany it is very cold right now.

Question about the flag on your U-557 build.  How did you shape it to droop like that? 

I am planning on displaying a torpedo loading scene much as you did and want to get my flag to look somewhat like yours.

Thanks in advance!

Ernest

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan , 2009, 04:09 »
G'day Ernest! (as they say here).

The weather is Summer! getting arm, about 28C, but the gurus at ghe Bureau of Meteorolgy (do they detect meteors?) say Tuesday will be 41C! (GRRRRR!) Too hot!

Flag - The flags are all stiff with the coating on them, so that makes shaping very easy! Just scrunch up (or wrap around a pen or x-acto knife blade), and they keep their shape. I id rough mine, fading it a bit (be careful not to ruin). The it stays. The real key is to find a picture of a real flag the way you want it, and then copy.

God o the torp loading scene, that's why subs exist and it shows a lot of life.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan , 2009, 07:16 »
Hi Grief,

Very nice job you are making.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan , 2009, 14:41 »
G'day Ernest! (as they say here).

The weather is Summer! getting arm, about 28C, but the gurus at ghe Bureau of Meteorolgy (do they detect meteors?) say Tuesday will be 41C! (GRRRRR!) Too hot!

Flag - The flags are all stiff with the coating on them, so that makes shaping very easy! Just scrunch up (or wrap around a pen or x-acto knife blade), and they keep their shape. I id rough mine, fading it a bit (be careful not to ruin). The it stays. The real key is to find a picture of a real flag the way you want it, and then copy.

God o the torp loading scene, that's why subs exist and it shows a lot of life.

Thank you for the tips on the flag Rokket.

Your weather sounds really nice.  It is -19C here.  Good weather for modelling!

Ernest

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan , 2009, 15:09 »
Hi Grief,

Very nice job you are making.

Cheers,

Dougie

Thank you for the kind words Dougie.  :)

I am finished with the hull and built the deck today.  I am currently test fitting the deck. The following pictures document the progress.

The first picture shows the joint of the wood deck to a section of the kit part.  I choose to use a piece of the kit part because of the bull nose at the bow.  As you can see, the wooden deck is a bit narrower then the plastic part.  Looks like some shimming is in the future.  I don't know if this is also an issue with the earlier Type VIIc, but it sure is with this version.

Picture two shows the section for the life rafts.  Here the kit part was too wide and slightly too short.  Careful sanding and a small shim got it to fit without much trouble.

Picture three is the snort trench, which I cut from the kit part.  It was not hard to glue it to the wooden deck.  Care is needed to ensure the deck width remains correct.  Also, the outer section of the wooden deck is VERY easy to snap off, which I managed to do.  Fortunately, it is also easy to repair.  :P

Picture four is the Torpedo Loading Well Deck and Tube.  I am using the WEM PE Set, which is very nice.  The tube was not much fun to get rolled "mostly" round and there was some "direct" language used during construction.  Due to the nature of the slatted deck care had to be exercised cutting the three access grates away.  The center grate had to be reassembled after removal because there is nothing holding it together once it is seperated from the outer grates.  Fortunately its an easy job.  Finally, the front hull support had to be notched to fit the Well deck.

The final picture is an overall shot of the deck.  I am pleased with the fit.  There was only a few very minor high places which were easily corrected.  For those planning on using the slatted wooden deck, you will have to support it as it has a tendency to bow, especially around the conning tower area.  I choose to put thin but strong metal strips crossways on the bottom of the deck.  It covers some of the slitted area, but you can't see down into the hull anyway as they are so narrow.  Alternately, one could cross-brace the hull.

Tomorrow, I plan to glue the deck, and if all goes well fasten some of the Eduard PE to it.

« Last Edit: 10 Jan , 2009, 15:14 by Greif »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan , 2009, 15:35 »
Looking very nice, the access/openings sure make it real.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan , 2009, 15:38 »
Agree with Rokket- taking shape. Love the progress you are making my friend. Real beauty of the deck. ;D

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan , 2009, 02:02 »
I love to see people making progress!

very nice, at least somebody tackling a late boat!

wish i had time................... :'(
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan , 2009, 13:31 »
Thank you to everyone for the kind comments!  It means alot coming from you master builders.

I have managed to attach the deck to the hull and have puttyed the seams.  For most of the puttying I used Gunze's Mr. White Putty thinned with solvent to make it run into the cracks.  The technique works well for very small gaps and avoids alot of mess.  I will sand it tomorrow once everything is good and dry. 

Following are a few pictures of the deck as it looks now:
« Last Edit: 13 Jan , 2009, 13:46 by Greif »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan , 2009, 13:43 »
Second update for today.  While the deck was drying, I started work on the anti-aircraft guns.  In addition to the Eduard PE, I used Schatton brass barrels.

The 3.7 cm gun took some time to complete.  For those of you planning on using Eduard PE to improve the look of the gun make sure you plan the build with both the kit instructions and the Eduard instructions.  It will save you some headache!  The Eduard instructions generally do a good job lying out what kit parts are used, and those that are not used.  The exception is kit part number 189; it is not used, as there is no way to attached it with the Eduard PE parts in place.  Overall, I am pleased with the outcome.

The last few photos document my progress on the 2.0 cm guns.  Basically, not alot of progress!  Unlike the 3.7 cm gun, which has 35 seperate PE parts, there are not alot of PE parts for the 2.0 cm guns.  The next update will show the competed 2.0 cm guns.

Hope everyone enjoys the shots!
« Last Edit: 13 Jan , 2009, 13:48 by Greif »

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 00:24 »
very nice! looking forward to a OOB build (withsome OOB aftermarked stuff)!!!

does anyone have experience with the nautilus wood decks and warpage? Had the idea to strengthen it with thin liquid cyanoacryl- superglue, sort of soak the deck with the glue....................?
« Last Edit: 14 Jan , 2009, 02:48 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 00:36 »
Hi rapapla,

Thank you for the kind comment.  As to your question, this is the second nautilus wooden deck I have used.  I strengthened both decks.  One the first one, which was an early war pattern, I used some evergreen beam crossways in the hull, spaced between 10-15 cm apart.

On this build I used thin metals plates glued to the bottom of the deck.  Either techniques works fine.  The area that requires attention is in the center of the boat where the Conning Tower is located.  No surprise there!

Both decks are "rock solid" with no warping.

Hope this helps!

Ernest