Author Topic: Grief's late war VIIC build  (Read 22355 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Grief's late war VIIC build
« on: 01 Jan , 2009, 04:14 »
Hello everyone,

my name is Ernest Roth.  I have been following the outstanding builds on this forum for a long time and have decided to "throw my hat in" as they say.  A little about me.  I am a recently retired Soldier from the U.S. Army and I live in Germany.  I have been a modeller for many years now.  Mostly I build either 1/35th scale WWII armor or 1/48th scale WWII aircraft.  (You can see one of my builds in the December 2008 Fine Scale Modeller gallery)

This is my second attempt at a naval subject.  The model is RoG's 1/72nd scale VIIc/41.  I plan to build a late war u-boat.  Currently I am researching either U-228 or U-307, neither of which were VIIc/41's, however their late war configuration they were both visually very, very close to a VIIc/41. 

The build will use Eduard's PE set, some of Eduard's resin set for the conning tower, AMP's own waterline decals and flag, (very nice products by the way!), and either ULAD's decal sheet or decals offered by Peddinghaus of Germany.  I will also be doing some minor scratch-building as necessary.

I look forward to conversing with the very skilled and knowledgable members of this forum, and admiring your work.

Sincerely,
Ernest Roth (Greif)

« Last Edit: 13 Jan , 2009, 05:05 by Greif »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Grief's late war VIIC build
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 04:20 »
Work has begun, or better said, here are a few photos of my build since beginning 10 days ago!

Below a the hull sides.  I opened most of the drainage holes and carved out the slit in the center.  I then used some evergreen strips to simulate the supports.  Overall I am fairly satisfied with the results.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan , 2009, 04:24 by Greif »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 04:35 »
Following are a few of the Conning Tower parts.  The UZO, Attack Scope Stand, and Observation Scope Stand, are all from the Eduard resin set.  The hatch is the kit part detailed with an Eduard PE part, and some scratch-building.  I made copper hoops for both the UZO and A.S. Stand. 

I don't have Siara's great soldering skills, I actually have never learned to solder, maybe in the future!  So my hoops are joined with superglue. 

By the way, my photo skills are not the best so please bear with me.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Last Photos for Today
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 04:44 »
Following are a couple of pictures of an outer torpedo hatch I scratch-built.  It is not 100% accurate as I had to use the parts I had from my spare parts box.  I think it will look ok once it is installed.  After I completed the first door I realized that I only had enough parts to make one. "sigh"  So the model will only have one torpedo door open.

bracco_n

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 07:19 »
Welcome to the forum Ernest! I'm also about to build this boat so will follow your thread with great interest!
Keep up the good work
Nicolas

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 07:35 »
Hi Ernest,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you like the flag and decals. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your U 228 or U 307. Both these boats were built around the time the Kriegsmarine changed from the slotted deck (as on the early Revell kit) to the planked deck (as on the later VIIC/41 Revell kit).

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of merging your topics so that we can see your whole build in one thread.

Cheers,

Dougie
AMP moderator

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jan , 2009, 11:44 »
Welcome to AMP Ernest! Ill follow your efforts to its full fruitation. Good luck. ;)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jan , 2009, 17:34 »
Looking very nice off to an excellent start. The foot rails look very sweet! I soldered (badly and many times!), and had to use the old superglue in a few spots (Siara is KING!). Still excellent result.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jan , 2009, 02:37 »
Latest Update:

Well, my build will not be U-307.  I got the latest edition of U-boot im Focus on Saturday and low and behold U-307 was the featured u-boat.  Nice color scheme, but the flood vent pattern is much much different then Revell's Type VIIc/41.  Also, I have been unable to find other sources, besides the kit instructions, that U-307 was fitted with a Snort.  Looks like a conversion build is in the future! :)

Looks like the build will be U-228.  Still not a 100% accurate representation, vis a via the flood vents, but pretty close.

The pictures show the completed lower conning tower.  In addition to the Eduard PE parts I added a conning tower hatch retaining clip.  I made it out of a couple of small pieces from my spare parts box.  After shaping and gluing it, I covered the seams with Mr. Surfacer 1000 to blend everything.

I also installed the Nautilus wooden deck to the "wintergarten".  I opted not to use the wooden deck for the conning tower.  I am still working on the wooden deck blending the edges.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jan , 2009, 02:48 »
First, I have been re-miss in thanking everyone for there kind and generous comments concerning my build.  Thank You! ;D

A few more progress photos,

The first is a ladder I made from some evergreen rod.  I blended the parts using Mr. Putty 1000.  It will go into the lower conning tower.

The next couple of photos so the Eduard PE FuMo30.  I used copper rods instead of the recommended plastic on the rear of the radar.  It turned out better then I thought is would considering that I must have dropped parts at least 20 times!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jan , 2009, 03:02 »
Final update for today, then it is back to the bench - or is that the salt mines!?

The first picture is the snort head wrapped in Eduard PE.  This was a real bear to get in place.  Super glue was not doing the job, so I turned to a tool I rarely use.  Some time ago a purchased an "Etch Grip".  This tool works by heating the PE part, a special glue is melted to the surface; and the part is placed on the model.  While the heat source is attached the part can be positioned.  Once the heat source is removed the glue dries very very quickly and the part is FIRMLY attached.

I don't use the tool often because it is, in my opinion, not very user friendly and somewhat dangerous (I have burned my fingers several times while using it).

The second photo is the snort in its trough which I cut from the kit part and will attach to the nautilus wooded deck.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jan , 2009, 04:27 »
Making real progress! :o
The snort, and the radars look terrific.
Keep on posting please. Im looking forward to this build. ;)

lukass1613

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jan , 2009, 05:38 »
Wow! Well done so far. Im Waiting for more!

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jan , 2009, 09:39 »
First, I have been re-miss in thanking everyone for there kind and generous comments concerning my build.  Thank You! ;D

well, as we say in german:
Ehre wem Ehre geb
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jan , 2009, 13:56 »
Well its been a few days since my last update.  Work managed to get in the way and cause a modelling slow down!

The following pictures are of the hull.  I drilled two holes in the keel and cemented a bolt on the inside.  I will use them to mount the boat as so many others have done.

I still have a bit of sanding to do around the support afixed to the keel at the stern, but it is nearly ready to be primed.

The last picture is some of the PE parts on the hull.