Author Topic: Photo etch problem  (Read 4078 times)

Don in Cincinnati

Photo etch problem
« on: 03 Feb , 2010, 09:32 »
I need some help.

I am about to install the Eduard photo etch bow and stern deck pieces (over styrene) on my Revell 72nd scale boat. Dry fitting revealed that the stern PE piece is slightly wider and about 1/4" longer than the model at the extreme stern end.

* What is the best way (and best tool) to trim the PE to size? (I hesitate to use a file since the material is paper thin and might tear or crimp.

* Should I trim the material before or after gluing it down to get a good fit?

* I notice during dry fit that alignment of the stern piece is tricky so I need to use an adhesive that is forgiving enough to allow for some adjustment before setting up. My first thought was 3M contact cement applied to each surface which I would allow to dry per instructions. Then a piece of paper is inserted between the surfaces and pulled out a little at a time when alignment is spot on. Any thoughts here?

If you've had this problem I'd appreciate comments on how you solved it.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
Re: Photo etch problem
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb , 2010, 13:31 »
I would measure many times then trim with shears. But you might get a bit of a bend in the material that you will have to flatten out. trim before you glue it to the build. I use gel super glue, it gives me enough time for fitting.

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb , 2010, 13:41 »
I would measure many times then trim with shears. But you might get a bit of a bend in the material that you will have to flatten out. trim before you glue it to the build. I use gel super glue, it gives me enough time for fitting.

Thanks WS. I appreciate your help.

So far as alignment goes I had an idea which I will try and report back on.
The PE deck has a number of holes along each side. My plan is to dry fit the PE deck with tape and drill several holes in the styrene base beneath using the deck holes as a template. Then I will glue in several styrene rod "pins" in these holes so that after the adhesive is applied the pins will act as a guide to properly align the PE.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb , 2010, 19:54 »
sounds like a good idea. try to get some pics to show us.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 03 Feb , 2010, 20:42 »
Hi Don,

Your idea to temporarily "pin" the part for trimming sounds great!

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb , 2010, 08:13 »
Hi Don,

Your idea to temporarily "pin" the part for trimming sounds great!

Thanks, Mr Bill:

Truth-be-told I am less than handy when it comes to tools, and spend hours on this Forum just amazed at what folks like you, wildspear and Siara can do with a model.
That said, sometimes life just gives you a moment and I guess the pin idea was mine.

Don

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #6 on: 05 Feb , 2010, 16:38 »
I think the pinning is excellent. My idea was less good but essentially the same, glue it to a backing that replaces the model piece - file, then drop the PE + backing inplace of the model bit, but pinning sounds superior.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #7 on: 06 Feb , 2010, 14:48 »
I know with my Gato that I cut the whole deck out. I laid the PE portions on the deck and traced out what would need to be removed. Then I cut the deck out (a big chore since I didn't have my dremel at the time). I then framed in the opening with plastic rod (sorry guys I have a brain block and can't remember the name). I have the PE decking in place but now I must start work on the wooden portion of the deck.

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #8 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 10:00 »
I know with my Gato that I cut the whole deck out. I laid the PE portions on the deck and traced out what would need to be removed. Then I cut the deck out (a big chore since I didn't have my dremel at the time). I then framed in the opening with plastic rod (sorry guys I have a brain block and can't remember the name). I have the PE decking in place but now I must start work on the wooden portion of the deck.

I'm curious as to what brand of PE you used. I am using the Eduard set which is paper thin and cannot be filed without tearing or other damage. I had to order a second set since I ruined the first one trying just that. (This stuff can keep you poor.)
The other problem is that the Eduard PE deck is way too big at the extreme stern (Almost 1/4") and needs to be cut down. Had I gone with Modelbrass which is very thick I could have used a file to shape it, but would have lost the great tread pattern that Eduard has.

I ordered a set of fine metal cutting scissors from Micro Mark and am hoping they will allow me to trim the PE with minimal damage.

One final problem: I planned on using the holes on each side of the PE deck as a template and drilling out small holes in the Styrene beneath it using the deck holes as a guide. Then I would glue some fine styrene rod  into the holes as alignment guide pins before applying adhesive and attaching the deck. The problem here is that the PE deck holes are at the extreme edges of the PE and I'm not sure if they be lost in the trimming.

The real key here is trying to keep in mind that this is supposed to be fun.
(My profanity quotion has increased remarkably during this build.)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #9 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 12:14 »
Don- you can trim the edge of the stern PE simply by scissors. Normal household large scissors will do.
The Eduard PE is like you said paper thin, and you can cut it just like paper.
However id strongly advise you to glue the PE to the deck first, and then trim it, as this way you will avoid any mistakes.
Do not bother with drilling the styrene, and using rods as the guides- even if it works, you are making unnecessary effort, and the end result will not be any better.
Do use thick CA for the job, as it allows for some adjustments, before it sets.
You can sand this piece easily by placing the 1500 grit sandpaper on flat surface- make sure theres no kinks, and place the part over the top. Now smoothly rub the part over the paper with delicate pressure.

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #10 on: 08 Feb , 2010, 13:03 »
Don- you can trim the edge of the stern PE simply by scissors. Normal household large scissors will do.
The Eduard PE is like you said paper thin, and you can cut it just like paper.
However id strongly advise you to glue the PE to the deck first, and then trim it, as this way you will avoid any mistakes.
Do not bother with drilling the styrene, and using rods as the guides- even if it works, you are making unnecessary effort, and the end result will not be any better.
Do use thick CA for the job, as it allows for some adjustments, before it sets.
You can sand this piece easily by placing the 1500 grit sandpaper on flat surface- make sure theres no kinks, and place the part over the top. Now smoothly rub the part over the paper with delicate pressure.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. Probably next week as I need to finish weathering the wood deck which is turning out real nice.