Author Topic: Lifecolor U-boat paints  (Read 5701 times)

kklee6

Lifecolor U-boat paints
« on: 12 Jan , 2010, 02:18 »
I contacted a local dealer and asked about the paints.
They only have the two Kreigsmarine sets but not UA601 and UA607 individual bottles.

I am going to order them online, most likely from airbrush.com

How many bottles of each paint do I need? 2 or 3?

Regards,
KK

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Lifecolor U-boat paints
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan , 2010, 09:56 »
Hi KK, two bottles of UA607 and one of UA601 will be plenty.  Lifecolor paints adhere much better to a primed surface.  I use Tamiya primer.  What kind of airbrush are you using?

Ernest 

I contacted a local dealer and asked about the paints.
They only have the two Kreigsmarine sets but not UA601 and UA607 individual bottles.

I am going to order them online, most likely from airbrush.com

How many bottles of each paint do I need? 2 or 3?

Regards,
KK

kklee6

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan , 2010, 20:21 »
My ten-year ago Tamiya HG spraywork (0.3 mm nozzle) broke before the new year.

I have replaced it with an Iwata HP-C plus (0.3 mm nozzle)  airbrush.

KK

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 01:46 »
Hi KK, the Iwata HP-C+ is an excellent airbrush and will spray the Lifecolor paints just fine.  I have three Iwatas; the HP-C+, which I use to spray mottled camo patterns on Luftwaffe aircraft; an HP-CS, which I use for detail work, and an HP-BCS which I use for larger spray jobs.  If you can afford an additional airbrush, the HP-BCS would be an excellent choice.  With the 0.5mm nozzle it can handle higher paint viscosity and sprays/covers a wider area then the 0.3mm nozzle.  It is not a "must have" however, as the HP-C+ can handle every job beautifully.  I like the flexibility of having different airbrushes for different jobs, but for many years I got along just fine with a Badger 150.

Ernest

My ten-year ago Tamiya HG spraywork (0.3 mm nozzle) broke before the new year.

I have replaced it with an Iwata HP-C plus (0.3 mm nozzle)  airbrush.

KK

kklee6

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 01:58 »
Buddy,

You have been, as always, very helpful and resourceful.  I bought a 0.3 mm airbrush because I build smaller scale models for most of the time.

Type VIIC is my first 1/72 scale ship model.  AND, I am also doing research for building the interesting Hermann Marwede Search&Rescue vessel.

KK

kklee6

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 02:06 »
BTW, Ernest, how do you apply primer to models?
Use diluted liquid primer and apply it with airbrush, or just use the spray cans.

I have a cheap Taiwan made airbrush and plan to use it for applying primer.  This is going to be my 1st trial because I used to use spray cans, Gunze Mr. Surfacer to be exact.

KK
« Last Edit: 13 Jan , 2010, 02:08 by kklee6 »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 02:12 »
Hi KK, I decant Tamiya primer and use it in my airbrush.  I don't like using spray cans as they don't provide enough control for my tastes.

Ernest

BTW, Ernest, how do you apply primer to models?
Use diluted liquid primer and apply it with airbrush, or just use the spray cans.

I have a cheap Taiwan made airbrush and plan to use it for applying primer.  This is going to be my 1st trial because I used to use spray cans, Gunze Mr. Surfacer to be exact.

KK

kklee6

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 02:21 »
Ernest,

Using those primer out of the can, have you encountered clogging of your precious airbrush?
The primer appears to be very rich to me.

When I tried using liquid primer with airbrush (on a scrap of plastic), I diluted it with 4 - 5 parts of thinner to 1 part of primer.
It worked fine but I had to apply at least 5 coats while, with spray cans, 1 pass could be enough.

KK

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 03:02 »
Hi KK, I have had any clogging problems.  Make sure you keep your psi around 10-15, it helps keep clogging down alot.  What kind of compressor do you have?

Ernest

Ernest,

Using those primer out of the can, have you encountered clogging of your precious airbrush?
The primer appears to be very rich to me.

When I tried using liquid primer with airbrush (on a scrap of plastic), I diluted it with 4 - 5 parts of thinner to 1 part of primer.
It worked fine but I had to apply at least 5 coats while, with spray cans, 1 pass could be enough.

KK

kklee6

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 03:30 »
Ernest,

The compressor I used is a small size Taiwan made compressor with double air-tank.
It's not as good as those larger compressors but can provide continuous air pressure of over 25 psi.

KK

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 07:51 »
Hi KK, do you have a regulator that you can use to regulate the air pressure?  If not, they are easy to get and install, and they are not expensive at all.

Ernest

kklee6

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan , 2010, 08:06 »
Hi, Ernest.

It does have a regulator installed.

I am used to spraying with air pressure around 15 - 20 psi.
I know that my new iwata hp-cp+ can work well at even lower pressure.
Correct me if i am wrong.

KK

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan , 2010, 02:28 »
You are 100% correct.  I lower the psi to 5 when spraying mottled camo patterns.

Ernest

Hi, Ernest.

It does have a regulator installed.

I am used to spraying with air pressure around 15 - 20 psi.
I know that my new iwata hp-cp+ can work well at even lower pressure.
Correct me if i am wrong.

KK