Author Topic: Type VII Tower Replacement Rails  (Read 2724 times)

Ronster

Type VII Tower Replacement Rails
« on: 09 Oct , 2009, 00:20 »
I have one of the original issue Revell 1/72 Type VII kits. I hear that many of them came with partially molded tower rail parts. Lucky me, I have them in my kit too!

Any suggestions on how I can get some replacements? I have not had much luck with Revell Germany. I was hoping someone would come out with a brass rail set, but no luck so far(?)

Thanks, Ron

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Type VII Tower Replacement Rails
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct , 2009, 01:43 »
There are various PE sets, but they are all of course, flat! I used thin brass rod from the hobby store, worked fine and wasn't hard. (Except for the gun deck/misnamed WWintergarten!!!) Recommend brass rod. Can't remember what thickness I used, but pretty thin.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct , 2009, 08:39 »
I have one of the original issue Revell 1/72 Type VII kits. I hear that many of them came with partially molded tower rail parts. Lucky me, I have them in my kit too!

Any suggestions on how I can get some replacements? I have not had much luck with Revell Germany. I was hoping someone would come out with a brass rail set, but no luck so far(?)

Thanks, Ron

Ron:

My experience with Revell parallels yours. I had a hull half with about 1" of the stern missing. Looked like an incomplete mold job known to model manufacturers as a 'short shot.'

It took forever online to get a response from customer service. Finally I got a name at Revell USA (Ron Merkel) and called him direct. The upshot of our conversation was that Revell Germany will replace damaged parts at no cost. The bad news is that it takes a minimum of 10 weeks since no Revell Germany parts are stocked in the USA.

I have built a number of their smaller U-boats (1/125) and have replaced the rails with copper wire which can be heated (Annealed) and then cooled to make bending curves easier. The end result looked pretty decent. I suspect it would work for the bigger boat as well.

Good luck.

Don

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct , 2009, 15:50 »
Once you know how, you can make decent railings yourself, without spending extra cash. Makes the difference between the average boat, and one that stands out from the crowd:
Part 1
Part 2

Good luck. ;D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct , 2009, 20:46 »
Ya, you MUST make your own rails, and Siara is a Master.

Don - hadn't thought of annealing, great stuff thanks! (for my Gato maybe)
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jan , 2010, 23:49 »
Siara, wonderful job on the Wintergarden.

I especially liked the flagstaff holder.  That had some detail I wasn't aware of.  There looks to be a small pin sticking out on the inside top.  Is that some sort of locking device do you think?

Another question.  The seats on your wintergarten are white.  Is that because they're padded?  And how did you attach them to the lower rail?