Author Topic: U-45 WIP - Completed October 2019  (Read 103715 times)

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
Re: U-45 WIP
« Reply #270 on: 06 Feb , 2015, 14:49 »
Hi Dougie

Maciek - very interesting on the grid for the cooling water system. I think it is also there on photos of U 47 and U 54 but not close enough to determine any detail. Perhaps you may have seen the grill on other boats.

I will look from my set of the photos.

I wonder if I may ask a few questions about it -
Was the grill in the exact same location as the opening on U 995?

Well, U 995 as the type VIIC boat was slightly longer than type VIIB. But I think that if you
would like to locate it by measuring distance from the stern, it would be the same location.

And was the grill square or rectangular?

Well, I would say the grill was circle shaped.

Lastly, any ideas when the grill was discontinued in favour of the hole we see on U 995?

What we can see on U 995 is not original state. On stb side we can see the hole, port side hole
is blanked. I think, that when U 995 was in service, the holes were covered by grills.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: 07 Feb , 2015, 06:25 »
Thanks Maciek,

Much obliged to you.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #272 on: 28 Apr , 2018, 08:54 »
Greetings!

All of the links for the images I posted on this topic have now been edited and are working properly.

For some reason postimage.org was recently blocked for a domain definition problem and had to change to postimag.cc

The result is all images hosted by the old URL will not resolve properly.  I had to go through every image link, one by one, and edit ".org" to ".cc"

If anyone notices any images that I may have missed on this topic, please let me know.  I will have to eventually go through all of my other forum posts and edit those image links also.

Many Thanks,

Bill

Offline 70skid

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #273 on: 04 May , 2018, 14:58 »
Outstanding work!!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #274 on: 23 Jun , 2018, 12:35 »
Thanks !

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Re: U-45 WIP - Completion Photos October 2019
« Reply #275 on: 11 Oct , 2019, 21:56 »
Greetings!
Goodness! - Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana . . . .

Cheers,
Bill

« Last Edit: 11 Oct , 2019, 22:20 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Re: U-45 WIP - Completed October 2019
« Reply #276 on: 11 Oct , 2019, 22:41 »
More completion images . . .

Questions and comments always welcome!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: 12 Oct , 2019, 06:07 »
Hello Bill,
I knew you were going to do a good job but the finished model is way beyond the norm. It is easily - by a big distance - my favourite U-boat model. This is in respect to three aspects.

Firstly the subject choice and date depicted. The VIIBs with the early tower have simple uncluttered lines with more aesthetic appeal than even the VIICs. When this is allied to the pre-war numbers and red-white buoys it makes the subject choice even better looking.
The second aspect is research and attention to detail. Getting the attack periscope housing correct was a big clue that this would be a brilliant build. Adding text to the buoys and adding extra wires on the rear port jumping wire are also very pleasing. But for me it is the cover on the KDB on the foredeck, which I have never seen depicted on any model. And then there is the lid on the sky periscope and the fact you have the UZO head in a lighter grey.

Thirdly is the modelling standard which is also excellent.
Finally someone has done a pre-war VIIB to perfection.
Cheers,
Dougie

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #278 on: 12 Oct , 2019, 20:33 »
Thanks Dougie for the kind words!  I received a great deal of help and inspiration from everyone here on AMP.  In particular, you provided a wealth of information on these early VIIB boats which helped tremendously.   I have always liked the look of the pre-war VIIB boats and got to thinking about a large scale build when the Amati kit came out in the 1990's.  The more I looked at photos and gathered information on the pre-war boats, I just knew I had to build one.  Well, one thing lead to another and U-45 has finally been completed.   

Thanks again,Bill

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #279 on: 28 Oct , 2019, 12:26 »
Bill this is great news! I am really happy that you managed to complete the project, after so many years and difficulties! It looks marvellous and most inspiring. As a big fan of the VIIB's I rejoyce.
GREAT GREAT GREAT WORK, congratulation!!

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #280 on: 01 Nov , 2019, 12:15 »
This is beautiful.  :)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #281 on: 12 Aug , 2021, 09:53 »
Many thanks to everyone for the comments!  who will be lucky visit number 88,888?
Bill

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #282 on: 24 Dec , 2022, 07:51 »
With the coming closure of the forum, I wanted to thank everyone that provided comments and assisted me with this build and others on the site.  Many thanks and best wishes in your future endeavors!
Bill