Author Topic: U-45 WIP - Completed October 2019  (Read 115946 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Re: U-45 WIP
« Reply #225 on: 13 May , 2013, 14:43 »
Greetings!

Some new images of work on U-45.  These show the railings on either side of the deck mounted 20mm which were a common feature of the early VIIB's.  I scratch built these from styrene rod using photos as a guide.  The Amati brass deck has holes in the approximate correct location for most of theses railing where they meet the deck which greatly helped.  Photos from pre-war VIIB's show small benches attached to these railings which I made from sheet styrene.  Bending the styrene rod to represent the curve shown on the real thing while keeping everything aligned with the deck holes was the most difficult part of making these railings.  Next will come the stanchions used on pre-war boats shown in many photos.  I plan to make these from very small brass tube with tiny brass rings on the top and a small metal pin inserted in the bottom that will go into the deck.  More on that later, in the meantime enjoy the new images.  Your questions and comments are always welcome.

Cheers,

Bill

« Last Edit: 28 Apr , 2018, 08:31 by Mr. Bill »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #226 on: 14 May , 2013, 12:58 »
Well done Bill !! Great bending work !

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #227 on: 19 May , 2013, 02:27 »
Very nice railings, looking good
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #228 on: 18 Jun , 2013, 21:09 »
Greetings!

A few images of the display case I just now completed for U-45.  About 20 years ago I decided to make my own display cases from clear acrylic plastic sheet.  My first attempt went well and I have made my own cases ever since.  The cost for materials and supplies is far less than purchasing a ready made case and the effort required to construct one yourself (even a large case) is not too great.  The most difficult part is cutting the acrylic sheet into the correct sizes.  I use a table saw with a fine cutting blade which works great resulting in clean cut edges.  It is important to measure everything several times prior to cutting and to also take care in making sure the cuts are straight.   Sometimes I have had the shop cut the pieces for me which saves some time.  Gluing the cut pieces requires corner clamps and careful alignment.  I use a special acrylic adhesive which bonds quickly and is extremely strong when fully cured.  Application of the adhesive is by capillary action using a small modeling brush.  The final part is to make the display base, usually from wood, but I have also used ready made laminated shelf boards with good results.  I plan to use a quality wood for U-45 and will probably look for a piece tomorrow.  Thanks for looking, your comments and questions are always welcome.

Cheers,

Bill

« Last Edit: 28 Apr , 2018, 08:33 by Mr. Bill »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #229 on: 22 Jun , 2013, 01:59 »
Nice case, and thanks for the info. It always seemed scary, but sounds like you've got it down pat. Now you need a finished model to go in there... ;D
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

schemelschelm

« Reply #230 on: 24 Jun , 2013, 12:26 »
Nice work!
I planned to build a case, too. But it seems to be difficult to cut the acrylic - till now.  :)
I'm very interested in your next steps on U-45.  :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #231 on: 24 Jan , 2015, 11:35 »
Greetings!

This WIP has been going on for far too many years now !!!  I really don't have any reasons for the long delay, just weak excuses!  At this point U-45 remains unfinished in a display case - I see it everyday!   As a first step, I want to update the this WIP by replacing the photos that have vanished over the years.  I will try to repost the images in the original locations of the WIP so as maintain the original flow of the build.  One benefit of this long delay is that the major repair I made to remedy the separation problem between the brass deck and styrene hull has worked well with no signs of further separation over a long period of time !

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #232 on: 24 Jan , 2015, 12:31 »
First batch of original photos have been restored to page 1 of WIP.

cheers,

Bill

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #233 on: 24 Jan , 2015, 16:48 »
Evil Imageshack Frog has been replaced with original photos up through page 4.  This is a tedious process, but I am determined to see it through.  Please let me know if any of the photos I am restoring to the WIP don't seem to match the text.

Cheers,

Bill
« Last Edit: 24 Jan , 2015, 16:57 by Mr. Bill »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #234 on: 25 Jan , 2015, 09:54 »
Standing-by to seeing the picture replacement completed. It's good to know you're at work again!!
« Last Edit: 25 Jan , 2015, 09:59 by SG »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #235 on: 25 Jan , 2015, 12:25 »
If anyone happens to have copies of the photos from my post of January 18, 2010 showing the installation of the ribs in the central flooding slot I would greatly appreciated your sending them to me so I can properly update the WIP.  I looked everywhere for those particular images, but can't locate them.

Many Thanks,

Bill

uboatfan

« Reply #236 on: 25 Jan , 2015, 13:17 »
Hello Mr. Bill,

Due to som trouble to send as PM here are the pictures....

Greatings,

Uboatfan

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #237 on: 25 Jan , 2015, 15:06 »
Many Thanks!

Those are exactly the photos I was looking for!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #238 on: 28 Jan , 2015, 21:39 »
Greetings!

I am having trouble finding some of the old photos from my U-45 WIP.  My computer filing system and backups are in a state of chaos!  Is there a way to recover these old images from Imageshack?

Many Thanks,

Bill

uboatfan

« Reply #239 on: 29 Jan , 2015, 10:31 »
Hello Mr. Bill,

unfortunatly there is no way i know to recover pictures from imageshack. They announced many weeks that al users have to copy to a new location. As i know they deleted everything after shut down.

Maybe i can help you...
Down to Reply #219 i have all pictures copied to my desktop. If you want i can post all here.

Regards

Uboatfan