Author Topic: U-552 Conning Tower Wind Deflector  (Read 738 times)

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
U-552 Conning Tower Wind Deflector
« on: 17 May , 2018, 05:17 »
Wind Deflector identified...thanks to Dougies great article.......

Type VII U-Boat Modifications by Dougie Martindale
« Last Edit: 18 May , 2018, 06:08 by Raymic1 »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: U-552 Conning Tower Wind Deflector
« Reply #1 on: 19 May , 2018, 04:36 »
Hi Raymic,

Thanks for the kind words. If you do want to fit a wind deflector for U 552 the thing you need to be aware of is that you would have to remove the breakwaters. The breakwaters are the splash guards on the top of the hull casing outboard of the 88mm deck gun. I suspect that the refit when the wind deflector was added was the same refit in which the breakwaters were removed.

Also, when they removed the breakwaters from U 552 they drilled a semi-circular pattern of holes in this area.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Re: U-552 Conning Tower Wind Deflector
« Reply #2 on: 19 May , 2018, 08:38 »
One of the first things that I asked myself when I saw this post, is what time period U552 are you building, as to adding a wind deflector or not. I was reading this at work and looking at the 1/48 U552 that is up for sale and thinking about the same thing (what time period will the builder build it for).
On the U505 there are several builds our there, several being worked on and others in the planning stage.
1 build was for as it left the shipyard.
2 my plans are for after it was bombed
3 Glenn is building it as it was just after it was it was rebuilt
4 Others are building it just before capture (just before getting shot up again) This I believe is most builds.
5 other builds are as it sits in the MOSI in Chicago, Ill
Why this info about the U505 because it shows just how many time periods (rebuilds/fitting) can happen during a Uboat life. Makes you think about what should and should not be on a Uboat model as to the time period. Some Uboats went down 1st cruise, they should all look the same. Others, above U505, changed a lot of details, wind deflector being one of them.

I look forward to your posts as this 1/48 U552 is on my bucket list. Please keep on posting and sharing.

Yes, Dougie's Great Wolf pack articles are great for this type of info.

Later Tim