General Modeling > TIPS

Resistance soldering

<< < (3/3)

42rocker:
Another input, late but I have used one. And of course a story that goes with.
Several years ago one of my friend/clients came in and sold me a huge box full of stuff. The stuff was a large group of "German medals" unfinished of course. A few of us might remember comics used to cost 5 to 10 cents each. After you opened the cover there was normally an ad or two. One of these ads was from this client selling "German Medals" copies, good ones.
Well part of the unfinished part was that they needed to have the pin added to the back of the medal. Well the medals were cast in "lead" and you had to solder the pin on without melting the medal. Happy to say that also in this box was a resistance soldering box and everything that goes with it. Boy did it work well.
Old, real old. But it worked and well.

On this one you had the wire that you plugged into the wall outlet which went to the box in which you dialed in the level that you wanted to work at. Then a grounding wire and then the wire that went to a carbon electrode that you touched to the area to be soldered and a foot pedal setup. Quick, real quick.

Interesting point the client was in the merchant marine and did the  Murmansk run several times. Was one of the seaman honored.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/11/us/50-years-later-russia-honors-us-saviors.html

Interesting client.

Ok, resistance soldering worked great for us. Need machine and good carbons and fresh flux. The solder was old but worked just fine.

The mirco mark one should work just fine. I have looked at it several times in the past. Mine can do a lot larger jobs, which is not needed in this type of work.

Later Tim

Rokket:
Thanks for that Tim. I think I will try the micromark..one day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version