General Modeling > TIPS

Resistance soldering

(1/3) > >>

Roel:
I wondered if anyone here had some experience with resistance soldering. Since we are not able to buy these tools in Europe, importing them is way too expensive, I just managed to build my own...........and it works :)
Total cost: 10 euro's and some stuff I had lying around :)

OldNoob:
I toyed with it during my Model railroading days.
I can say with certainly both quality equipment and technique are needed.
Homemade setups work, but it can be dangerous if not done right.
I will say, when done right, its super fast.

Roel:
It is indeed superfast, and such a simple idea:) never expected it to work, but it does.
Here you cannot buy this kind of tool, only importing it will cost a small fortune

Rokket:
I would love to know details! I bought a battery charger, a new cheap soldering iron, and I have let it sit for two years, electrodes and a foot switch are difficult. In fact, I should have just spent the huge amount of money and bought a "real" one! So tell us more!

Roel:
I got the plans to build it from a Dutch site, but it is pretty straight forward if you see the picture that they posted.
What it comes down to is that you can make the system as advanced as you wish.
I picked up an $6 soldering iron from an outlet, took it apart and replaced the insides.
Bought a light dimmer for $10 and then some connectors and wire also some $10 to put it all together.
I had an old transformer that had been used in a machine for photographic equipment. The foot switch I did not put yet, but I got one from an old sewing machine.
I used a wooden winebox to put all inside, but I'll replace that if I find something more suitable.
The main component was the transformer and its case, which basically had all the material that I reused, a switch and so on. This is a link to an image which shows how to set it up, but alas in Dutch
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4eHmw6rsUGg/VUfKQCfBQaI/AAAAAAAAETQ/d9WHn61kqgI/s576/weerstandsolderen%2001.jpg
http://cooltrain.be/index.php/weerstandsolderen
The most important is making sure from the beginning that all connections are fixed well.
If you want I can do a translation of the whole thing:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version