Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572718 times)

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3840 on: 17 Mar , 2018, 14:04 »
Dear Mr Tore.
I am new to this forum but see that for 6+ years you have been able to share and pass on some fantastic first hand insights into the operation and daily life on an ex working Norwegian Sub/ German U boat.
This information is invaluable for future generations so thank you.

Please take the time to rest and recuperate, your health is always most important.
Best
Mike

New Zealand

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3841 on: 24 Mar , 2018, 03:03 »
Hello Mr. Tore and all,

I don't expect Mr. Tore to respond to this posting because he is still in the hospital recovering from a stroke (Get well soon because I miss you). However, I am just posting some of my findings about the main clutch in the e-room. If you first examine the photo from u-historia.com they identify the levers function as to engage/disengage the main clutch [see photo 650 - page 419 (1).png].

Look at at image [Manual Type VII C (1).jpg] which indicates the main clutch is a friction type clutch similar to the diesel clutch. This seems to eliminate the possibility of the main clutch as being a "Spring Wrap Type Clutch" in the e-room.

Now look at the photo [Hebel3(2).jpg] which has detail not seen before. I have marked how I believe this lever in the e-room works. It looks to me as the lever is raised and the lever dog engages the gears wheel in the aft section of the clutch and possibly stops the drive shaft from being rotated when the Diesel engine is stopped. Therefore, sea water washing over the prop cannot turn the drive shaft. Is this the brake that is shown in the "Manual Type VII C(1).jpg?

These are only questions that I have and I'm looking forward to more photos. Reference photo Hebel2(1).jpg...  Are there any suggestions from others that read my observations?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 02 Apr , 2018, 22:03 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3842 on: 31 Mar , 2018, 00:04 »
Hello All,

Just a quick note about Mr. Tore...  He is out of the hospital and back home in the city.  He has some issues with his right side after the stroke, but he is having therapy and said he hopes to have his driver's license back in September and be back to normal. I'm sure we all wish him a speedy recovery...

Regards,
Don_

PS: If anybody has any basic questions about the Type VII C U-Boat, then I would be glad to provide you some of Mr. Tore's information that I have documented in my Skizzenbuch. I believe some of the previous posted images may have been lost during a website upgrade.
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #3843 on: 31 Mar , 2018, 01:16 »
Glad to hear he is back at home so he can search for eggs on Easter Sunday.  :)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3844 on: 28 Apr , 2018, 19:00 »
Hello All,

Just a quick update on Mr. Tore's progress after his stroke - He is going to physical therapy about three times a week and exercising at home, and it looks like he will be able to drive his car in a few months.  You just can't hold a good old barnacled U-Boat seaman down...

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3845 on: 02 Jul , 2018, 21:47 »
Hello All,

Great News! It looks like Mr. Tore has completed his physical therapy and has gotten back his drivers license.  Now he is off to his farm for a summer vacation...

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #3846 on: 03 Jul , 2018, 01:10 »
Glad to hear that  :)

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #3847 on: 03 Jul , 2018, 19:42 »
Great news. Thoughts and Prayers. 

Later Tim

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3848 on: 07 Jul , 2018, 09:06 »
Yes I am back and are possibly able to answer questions. I had to move back to civilization as my wife fell asleep while driving her car, totally wrecking it. Luckily she only broke her hand but got to be in the hospital for some time hence my stay in Oslo area.
Tore

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3849 on: 08 Jul , 2018, 04:56 »
Nice to hear you are back and recovering
I hope you wife is ok too.
Thank you for all your years of invaluable  knowledge and may you have many more healthy years.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3850 on: 08 Jul , 2018, 09:09 »
I see quite a few question were raised while I have been away. One is about the valvehandles in the E-room under the switch table. An often forgotten details is the rather complex seacoolingwater system in the E-room, complex because there are so many alternatives and very narrow. Below is an extract of the coolingwatersystem in the E-room plate 13 showing the cooling og the Emotors/generators, Michell thrustbearings, sterntubes and compressors. I have only explained the port system for the e-motor /generator as we have dealt with the compressors before. The maininlet for the coolingwater pump is on the port side and the outlet is on the stb side. As mention before the system can be served by the pumps in the controlroom as well.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul , 2018, 09:11 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3851 on: 09 Jul , 2018, 16:26 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Great answers as usual... Recently, I got some photos of the objects below the Port Switchboard and have attached them for a discussion...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 09 Jul , 2018, 16:51 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3852 on: 09 Jul , 2018, 22:12 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Best wishes for a full recovery for your wife... My wife Maureen who has never caused an auto accident says I'm a terrible driver and I drive way too fast! Tell her you love her, and we all hope she comes home very soon...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 09 Jul , 2018, 22:18 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3853 on: 10 Jul , 2018, 00:40 »
Thanks for good wishes, my wife and me are doing fine by together using the parts of our body which are working. Feeling a bit like KNM Kaura -U 995 having parts gradually detoriating and being renewed, possibly not up to the original standard. Like the U 995 anchor bay f.inst. which as many of your accurate modellers have noticed have been misplaced about one frame aft on the Revell kit and the museum U995 at Laboe which for some reason has been equipped with an anchorfluke homing pad which never was there on the original U 995. See my image below. ;D

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3854 on: 10 Jul , 2018, 03:32 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

When I look at Plan 13 the cooling water system, it looks like Cooling Water Out valves on the starboard side are always open to have the water flow through the e-motor coolers, bearings, thrust bearings and Junkers compressor. Then when the U-Boat dives, the valves are opened on the port side to provide the cooling water for the stern mechanisms, plus provide cooling water for the diesel engines towards the diesel room.

When running silent, would they ever shut off the cooling water pump?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD