Author Topic: Eduard PE for Gato  (Read 6653 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Eduard PE for Gato
« on: 07 Jul , 2007, 00:32 »
According to Gunny over at Model Shipwrights, Eduard is releasing 3 new PE sets - they look very, very nice.

part 2 of 3part news story:
http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2676&mode=&order=0
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

whaynesmd

Re: Eduard PE for Gato
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul , 2007, 21:18 »
Looks great but I'm hoping we will get a Portsmouth style limber pattern soon.  Thanks for the update on the manual; I oredered one of those as well.

Walt

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul , 2007, 03:50 »
I can't promise anything, but am looking into offering Portsmouth Limbers in brass. I'm trying to put out Wartime stuff, the etxras needed for EB and the alternate yards. But research is still one.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb , 2008, 07:29 »
Has anyone tried the Eduard PE for the 1/72 Gato? I'm thinking of getting the "Biged" super set, that comes with all 3 sets.

Mike K

« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb , 2008, 08:49 »
Speaking of Portsmouth limber hole patterns, Iron Bottom Sound now has stencils for them. It might be cheaper, AND easier, than using P/E stuff.
Mike K.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb , 2008, 03:40 »
Yeah, it might be cheaper, but will it be better? I'm working on a SECRET PROJECT (Ok, not so secret) with a talented fellow on PE for just such a thing. And, I might add, tho the Eduard is VERY high quality and lovely, much of it is post-war/1945+. POST war. (let's get it RIGHT, people!). That's all I'm gonna say.

Mike K

« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb , 2008, 10:02 »
You're right, Rokket, the P/E looks much better on a finished model. But, at thia point I'll be gratefull for anything I can get. Wartime, or Postwar, I'll take what I can get, and make changes as necessary.
However, I'm also willing to wait for something better. NOW, where are the torpedo tube slides? NOBODY has come out with any. Have they? (Hint, hint hint.)
Mike K.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb , 2008, 02:07 »
Keep your pants on, sailor! One shutter has been actually cut from the kit for measurement poiposes, and a shutter (just one, mind you, as a test) can't be toooo far behind.

whaynesmd

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb , 2008, 14:18 »
I, m not being naive by continuing to hold off starting my sub in hopes of there being a future release of Portsmouth limber holes, am I?{That's a convoluted sentence!}  All my plans revolve around this, so I can be patient for a long time with a little encouragement.  I have no problem with cost as an issue, so, please, someone make my day!!
                                    Walt Haynes

Mike K

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb , 2008, 12:08 »
Well..... you get half your wish... sort of. No P/E, but, "Iron Bottom Sound" has patterns for the Portsmouth holes. You just stick them on, then drill, and cut out, the holes.
In some ways, it's more work, but it's available now. And, they're included, when you order for a conning tower. For Silversides you'll need to replace the kit conning tower, anyhow.
Mike K.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb , 2008, 13:05 »
Mike K,

When you said I would have to change the conning tower to make my kit into the USS Silversides, Your just talking about the back part right/ To make it into a pointy one insteed of the rounded back. Or have I missed something/

Mike K

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb , 2008, 09:24 »
Without doing some research, I can't really say. But I'd suspect that Silversides' conn had changed a bit, from her '41 (as built) configuration.
If the only difference between the kit, and the one you want, is what you discribe, Iron Bottom Sound has an adapter for the aft end of the conn. If so, go with that.
Mike K.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb , 2008, 21:11 »
I'm just now getting into the research (my other build DD-797 is almost done). When I stayed on the Silversides she did have the pointed aft on the tower and I will get the conversion from Iron bottom. I also believed she had the 4" gun. I'm still working on the placement of the flood holes...time will tell.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr , 2008, 13:53 »
Well I got my eduard "Biged" set and it's great. I've just ordered my early gato vent stencils from Nautilas, I just don't know what would show looking through the holes.......ribs, pressure vessel, stuff like that?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: 04 Apr , 2008, 06:42 »
If you are in a hurry, AMP cannot help. But if you want quality, then AMP is your source.

There are 2 templates for Portsmouth Limbers. That is good news, and at AMP, we have every reason to believe they are quality products.

BUT...wouldn't it be nice to have brass PE WITH RIVETS to plop in Port LHs? Of course it would! We are working on this!