Author Topic: Type VIIC/41 by Revell  (Read 25652 times)

bracco_n

Type VIIC/41 by Revell
« on: 13 Dec , 2008, 12:25 »
Hello fellows, first I want to introduce me. I'm Nicolas Bracco from argentina and I've just got started in U-boat modelling. I have a Type VIIC 1/144 under my belt and in the near future I'll post pictures from her.
Now I'm planning to build the type VIIC/41, I already have the kit. Could you please tell me all the kits I have to buy to make my model as accurate as it can be?
I appreciate your help

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: Type VIIC/41 by Revell
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec , 2008, 13:05 »
Welcome!

Theres wide variety of aftermarket products you can get for your build:
Wooden deck from Nautilus Models
Photo Etch from Eduard, AMP, Modelbrass
Brass turned barrels from Schatton Modelbau
Brass screws from Raboesch
Figures from Warrior, Hecker & Gyros, Andrea
Flags AMP
Original kriegsmarine enamels from WEM
Rigging thread from Modellingtimbers
Decals Ulad, AMP

and so on... ;D

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec , 2008, 14:00 »
Hi Bracco,

Welcome to the AMP forum. Siara has outlined most of the sets out there. The Modelbrass set is worth getting. But it might not be available now, and they aren't exactly very good at returning emails. 

AMP used to be U-Brass. We did release a PE set for the VIIC and VIIC/41s. This allows you to modify the free-flooding holes and to correct the torpedo door length. It also has pieces for the later styles of exhaust outlets (which you will need for the VIIC/41). The set can be found at -

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/ubrass.shtml

We don't sell the set now. It can be found in the White Ensign Models (WEM) range as 7232. WEM are a reputable company, and good guys too -

http://whiteensignmodels.com/

They also sell Kriegsmarine paints which are very good.

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec , 2008, 09:22 »
Could any of you provide me with original pictures of Types VIIC/41? I need to see some to get ideas for my future model. I appreciate the help!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec , 2008, 12:34 »
Hi Nicolas,

There aren't as many VIIC/41 photos as there are VIICs. So getting a decent number of VIIC/41 photos will be difficult. Photos of the museum boat U 995 might help -

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=2243

Many of the VIIC/41 features were the same as VIICs so you might like to refer to Glenn and Siara's builds.

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec , 2008, 17:31 »
Do you have pictures of camuflage for artic boats? I would like to represent one of the Type VIIC/41 operating against artic convoys. My other idea is to represent one in late war greys during training in the baltic.
I'm open for other ideas.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec , 2008, 11:53 »
Hi Nicolas,

I can't think of any VIIC/41 photos with camo. Late VIICs with camo, yes, but not VIIC/41s.

By the end of the war dark greys were used as upper colours. They were also more weathered towards the end. So you could go for a dark grey boat.

I like your idea of a training boat. Such a boat would have the yellow band on the tower and deck, plus UAK markings (either white or black) on the tower. You could use Schlickgrau 58 as the upper colour. It would be nice to see U-boat models in darker greys as most have light or medium grey upper colours.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec , 2008, 12:45 »
Heres the training boat by Jess Montomery:
http://homepage.mac.com/jess13/PhotoAlbum59.html

bracco_n

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec , 2008, 17:01 »
So, no white or camo painted Type VIICs/41?

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec , 2008, 07:22 »
Hi Nicolas,

Photos of late boats with white or camo schemes may well turn up. Does anybody have any?

I wouldn't recommend the camo scheme for U 997 on the box. Nobody has been able to confirm any U-boat had a camo scheme like this. The squiggles are very like the patterns used by the Luftwaffe. Maybe Revell used it on their box art because it looks nice?  :)

There is a VIIC/41 WIP build at -

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=130766&page=1

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec , 2008, 19:59 »
Ok, I'll wait untill some picture confirms camo on a type VIIC/41, I want this model to be really accurate. By the way, some time ago I saw a type VIIC/41 cut at the waterline and with a midget submarine aft of the CG. Can't find it know, does anybody has the link?

bracco_n

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec , 2008, 09:57 »
Today I was looking at the instructions, precisely at the paint schemes provided by Revell for each specific boats. There are many camouflaged and white-clad Types VIIC/41, I was wondering if this paint schemes have historical background, I mean, if they are the result of historical research.
Another thing is the Schnorkel. In some pictures I've seen, a tube comes out of the side of the conning tower and once the schnorkel is fully raised it connects with this tube. I don't have a picture now but will post it as soon as I find one. So, is Revell's Schnorkel accurate? or is it missing some parts?

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec , 2008, 10:24 »
Bracco_n- best way to compare the accurac of schnorchel in the model is to post the picture of actual part here. I personally havnt seen the atlantic version myself, so can not comment on it. I do have some pictures of the real thing.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec , 2008, 11:19 »
Hi Nicolas,

I haven't got around to getting the Revell VIIC/41 kit yet. I'm still researching for building VIIBs, VIICs and IIAs models! Could you post pics of the snort, as Siara, says, and also the instruction booklet?

Revell's instructions may be historically inaccurate. But I'm very wary of saying this as they may have been advised by someone with decent knowledge of U-boats.

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec , 2008, 17:22 »
Some pictures of revell's schnorchel with eduard PE parts:

as you can see, there's no pipe going from the mast to Diesel's air intake. I believe that Revell's type VIIC/41 is based on U-995 displayed at Laboe.

As you can see, no pipe. I don't see the use of a schnorchel that is not connected to the Diesels, in fact it isn't connected to nothing. Now check this pictures from U-530 and U-858:

and now check this link in detail:
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-889SchnorkelPhotos.htm

As you can see, there's a pipe running from the wintergarten to the schnorchel, and the schnorchel mast has a device to connect it with the pipe. this are absent in Revell's model and in U-995.
Should I scartch build the pipe? I haven't seen any boat with the schnorchel  on the port side and the antenna fitting that this model has, I believe that the model is wrong.
I would like to hear your comments.