Author Topic: Cable tie downs  (Read 4675 times)

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
Cable tie downs
« on: 02 Apr , 2008, 10:25 »
Any one know if there are companies that make these in 1/72 scale? I'm going to have to scratch build the propeller gaurds and they were attached with cable tie downs.

Mike K

Re: Cable tie downs
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr , 2008, 10:54 »
   OK. Ya got me. What tie-downs? And, what cables? I don't remember any cables related to the screw guards.
   Screw guards were welded and made of steel tuning (for the most part), or removed altogether.
   Can you send me a picture, or drawing, of what you're talking about? My confusion could be a matter of terminology. I might know what you're talking about by a different name.

Mike K.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr , 2008, 13:27 »
Here is a pic.

the gaurd is a removible kind and thats what the Silversides had. I plan to model my build with one on her and I was wondering if any companies made the tie down (the cable contraption that holds the gaurd in place), save me a little time and hassle.

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr , 2008, 02:36 »
some parts of this

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/catalogbody.html&CatalogBody

look like these stiffeners/tie downs.
interesting to see that these guards are really flat, just like PE- parts are.
« Last Edit: 03 Apr , 2008, 04:56 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr , 2008, 05:10 »
Rabapla,
  Dude thanks. I had forgotten all about the PE that WEM puts out for this kit.

Mike K

« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr , 2008, 09:45 »
   Ah Sooo. You were talking about the portable screw guards. I was trying to picture what you were talking about and only saw cables supporting the guards. I believe that the little bitty chocks were only put on boats that opted to have their permanent screw guards removed.
   That was after Thresher, almost got caught, by Jap destroyers, fishing with grappling hooks.
   Billie Grieves was on her when it happened. He wrote about it in the Fall 1988 edition of Naval History. If you don't have a copy, I can scan it and send it to you.  .... If you're interested.
Mike K.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr , 2008, 10:12 »
Mike,

That would be great! My e-mail is coyotefong@yahoo.com. I was looking at the PE from WEM, they do have the gaurds but the tie downs are flat (go figure it's PE...lol) so I might have to improvise if I go with those. I know that Silversides had the removable gaurds but I'll be taking a good look at her in a week or so.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #7 on: 05 Apr , 2008, 06:26 »
Thanks Mike!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Mike K

« Reply #8 on: 05 Apr , 2008, 13:15 »
   Billie Grieves' article scanned and sent. If anyone else wants a copy,let me know.
Mike K.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #9 on: 05 Apr , 2008, 13:40 »
TY mike, I'll print them up and read once I get home. The work comp won't open the files.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: 09 Apr , 2008, 05:33 »
Hi Mike!

That's very interesting info. If only (SIGH) I had a copy...

The stupid prop guards have a lot of info/history/stuff about them.I'm going sans uards as i think they would have been ditched by my time window.But any info is very much appreciated.
Tope doors and shutters - might be making the mold this weekend! (NOT casting, just making the mold)..

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr , 2008, 01:29 »
@ wildspear:

back to the tie downs:
maybe try some 1/87 railroad stuff? these tensioners look a lot like stuff used on flatbed cars.
Sincerely

Ralf

Mike K

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr , 2008, 12:04 »
Hey, Rokket! Stuff's on the way. Three are in your in-box. But I'm afraid the first three filled the box. I'l wait a few hours and try again, with the last two. Like I've said, these are big 'uns!
Mike K.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr , 2008, 03:11 »
Thanks Mike! Great reading!

Tie-downs - in a pinch you can use the tensioners from the (former) U-Brass kit, now WEM. Not an exact match, but might be useful. I will see if these can't be included in some AMP kit...anyone have better pix?