Author Topic: Another new Revell 1/72 U BOAT FOR 2015  (Read 13076 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Re: Another new Revell 1/72 U BOAT FOR 2015
« Reply #30 on: 11 Oct , 2015, 06:33 »
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the heads up about the new kit. I think some folks will be wanting to build other boats (e.g. U 805) with the single 37mm. Looking at the instructions, perhaps one could make a single 37mm from the twin 37mm in the new kit? It would require some surgery to the shield but perhaps this can be done?

Cheers,

Dougie
Now we need an IX-D  :P ;D

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: 11 Oct , 2015, 06:58 »
Hi Dougie et al

Yes a single could be built from the twin shield or you could order the U 505 shield and mount from Revell.

Regards
Jon
« Last Edit: 11 Oct , 2015, 09:39 by Capt Kremin »
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #32 on: 23 Nov , 2015, 19:50 »
Hi Jon,

Here's my list for the magnetic compass housing on IXs -

The IXCs and IXC/40s which did have the Askania at the end of the war included - 516, 530, 534, 544, 805, 843, 858, 868, 870, 889, 1231, 1236, 1237. (also on IXDs 848, 861, 874, 875).

The IXCs which retained the standard magnetic compass housing at the end of the war (and were therefore never fitted with the Askania) - 190, 532 (and possibly also U 510).

I believe Revell chose U 190 because it had the standard compass fairing just like on their new kit. As you can see from the list above it would have been much better if they had added an Askania because we would have been able to choose from a range of boats. Note that although U 510 and U 532 had the standard housing they did not have the cut out foredeck.

Revell's new IXC/40 kit has a planked deck, schnorchel, standard magnetic compass housing, cut out foredeck and twin 37mm on lower platform. The only boat I know of with this configuration is U 190. Can anybody identify any other boats with this configuration? If not then Revell's new kit would only be suitable, without modification, for U 190.

Cheers,

Dougie

Another boat that can be built is the U 1232. A photo of the boat that comes with Peddinghaus decal sheet EP 2836 shows the old style compass housing, planked decking, cut down foredeck, and a schnorchel. The photo does not show the 37mm installation, nor does the only other known photo of the boat (a conning tower closeup).
The closeup photo does show shields on the twin 20mm cannons. Since no photos exist of the 37mm, you could build either a twin or single and get away with it. Probably err on the side of caution and go with a single mount. The boat carried no insignias other than the word "Halifax" crudely painted on the tower after completion of the successful 1st patrol.
Since the boat was rammed by a destroyer while it was at periscope depth, you would also have to model some of the battle damage, like the torn off upper spray deflector, and random holes along the upper edge of the tower. Or, you could model the boat as it was when leaving for patrol with no damage (but no insignia).
I had already decided to build the U 1232, and the photo showing it with an old style compass housing clinches the deal. Only other thing I need are the 20mm shields. Does anyone have a link to a source for these?

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #33 on: 03 Dec , 2015, 19:21 »
Woot woot!   :D

There is a 6' version of this boat in our Canadian War Museum.   I wonder if they'd put a smaller one on display... hmmmmm.......   
« Last Edit: 04 Dec , 2015, 07:55 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #34 on: 03 Dec , 2015, 21:44 »
Well, I have now received my two copies of the U 190 kit, and have to say that I am a little disappointed. The overall quality is good, just as in the U 505 kit. However, for a kit that is supposed to be made from the Tehnoart U 525 molds, they left out a lot of parts.
I get that they wanted to do the U 190 (for whatever unknown reasons), but it would have been nice if they had left in the U 525 parts, like the life raft canisters, 20mm gun shields, and the Askania compass housing.
Had they done this, and also included optional conning tower and foredeck parts to make boats that had those equipment items, this kit would be a world beater.
But, that's Revell for you. I tried contacting Tehnoart to see if I could purchase some of the parts, and got a response from them asking how many I wanted. But then nothing since. I guess I could rob the life raft canisters from one of my VIIC/41 kits, and liberate the 20mm gun shields from my Schnellboot kits. But that would make for some very expensive optional parts.
Maybe someone will make aftermarket parts, but that could be a long wait. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait and see..  :-\

Offline Vesikko

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #35 on: 04 Dec , 2015, 02:15 »
I think Revell missing life raft canister on the right side of the conning tower.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #36 on: 04 Dec , 2015, 07:59 »
Considering that AMP is *THE* place to get great information on II, VIIC, and IXC boats... I refer to "The Bibles" created by Dougie and Wink... is there an IXC/40 document in the works?
I would like to build U-190 because of its Canadian connection, but would like to get some solid info in case I need to make any mods to the kit.

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: 04 Dec , 2015, 15:05 »
Hi Glenn,

No plans for a document for U 190 as I am researching plane crash article at the moment. But I think this thread would serve to help folks on any mods required.

I don't have the kit yet as I am rather hoping Santa will be kind enough to drop one down my chimney. So you will have to forgive me if I make errors as I'm basing this on the instruction pdf online. Vesikko, I think you are right there is the canister missing on the starboard side. There is something else missing I think. On U 190, on the rear of the lower wintergarten, just to the port side, there is the end cap for a 37mm spare barrel container. Only the cap juts out so it is not that easy to see. I think this is missing from the Revell kit?

Something looks a bit strange in the photos of U 190 in Canada. The images I have aren't great quality but it looks like on the upper platform there is a single 20mm barrel on the port side and a single 20mm barrel on the starboard side (not the twin 20mms as per standard arrangement). Someone (perhaps Jon?) will have better knowledge of guns and be able to work this out.

In one image it looks like the guns on the upper platform were the normal twin 20mm arrangement but that the starboard barrel on both sets has been removed, possibly for evaluation by Canadian forces. Opinions would be welcome.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #38 on: 04 Dec , 2015, 16:26 »
Yep, the four life raft canisters on the fore deck are missing, as are the 20mm gun shields, and the Askania compass housing. The U 190 had the old-style compass housing, so I get why they changed it. However, if they had left all the missing items on the parts trees for those that would like to have them, that would have been great.
I did finally hear back from Tehnoart, and they are going to send me a set of the 20mm gun shields. The life raft canisters I guess will have to be "liberated" from one of my VIIC/41 kits. The Askania compass housing I can live without; the U 1232 did not have one anyway..

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #39 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 07:51 »
Hi all,

I branched off to another thread to ask very direct questions about how to model U-190:  http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=1333.0

While the information in THIS thread is good, there is some cross-talk about what should ideally have been in the new 05133 kit, or how other boats were configured.
My new thread has a very specific focus... what to modify to make an accurate U-190.

I hope y'all can help with that... there is obviously a wealth of knowledge here.  :)
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca