Author Topic: Type VII - Schnorchel Placement  (Read 23067 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Type VII - Schnorchel Placement
« Reply #45 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 02:27 »
We tested our german radar a foggy day outside the Lofoten islands northern Norway and got no echo on the screen, then we blew the whistle and got immediately an soundecho and when the fog disapeared we looked at a mountaindropoff of 4-500 m  high  rigth in front of us. Due to this experience we never used the radar but trusted only the sonar and hydrophones.

I believe that water or fog this one of the very best anti-radar thing around. I remember reading somewhere that the America were looking into making a fog around there ships to make them invisible from radar, but like you found out, it can be a little to hard to see out  ;D   

I`m impressed by your knowledge.

I am sure my knowledge on the Type VIIC, is only tiny compare to what you know.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #46 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 02:34 »
Hi Rokket !
Thanks for your interest in an old mans activities. My modest model of KNM Kaura is partly based on the Revell VIIC/41 1/72 atlantic version type, with some modefications, (the U 995 at Laboe is not a very good reference, particulary on the casing and floodgates). I had primarely to change the conningtower (I had to cast a new afterpart),the snort and snort lockingpin details, furthermore the casing and wooden deck including the snort casing and pressurecontainers. I`m now busy with the challenging task for an old mans stiff fingers to get the rigging correct and hope to be ready within a couple of weeks. If of any interest I`ll see if I can manage to make a picture (my camera gave up, new camera).
Regards
Tore

Tore, I also would love to see some pictures of Kaura.

I started a list a few years back on the changes between U-995 to Kaura and back to U-995, the list is long :D You are right about U-995 at Laboe, not being a very good reference.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #47 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 04:32 »
Hi Rokket !
Thanks for your interest in an old mans activities. My modest model of KNM Kaura is partly based on the Revell VIIC/41 1/72 atlantic version type, with some modefications, (the U 995 at Laboe is not a very good reference, particulary on the casing and floodgates). I had primarely to change the conningtower (I had to cast a new afterpart),the snort and snort lockingpin details, furthermore the casing and wooden deck including the snort casing and pressurecontainers. I`m now busy with the challenging task for an old mans stiff fingers to get the rigging correct and hope to be ready within a couple of weeks. If of any interest I`ll see if I can manage to make a picture (my camera gave up, new camera).
Regards
Tore

I started a list a few years back on the changes between U-995 to Kaura and back to U-995, the list is long :D You are right about U-995 at Laboe, not being a very good reference.
Hi NZSnowman
May be it`s because I spent two years of my life with her, but I think it is a shame that the only real authentic famous VIIC(/41)type is not correctly maintained. They could at least make correct floodgates in the renewed casingplates in stead of simply to blank it off
totally.
regards Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #48 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 07:21 »
Hi Rokket !
Regards
Tore

NZSnowman
Well, I remember from my destroyer practise we made tremendeous smokescreens ( reducing the fans in the boilerroom) by order of the commodore to hide the vessels.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #49 on: 26 Jan , 2012, 11:37 »
but I think it is a shame that the only real authentic famous VIIC(/41)type is not correctly maintained. They could at least make correct floodgates in the renewed casingplates in stead of simply to blank it off
totally.

Do not get me started on this >:( I make me cry what the German

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #50 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 13:02 »
Manuals Drawings
Hi Christopher!
I just realised you are building an unbelievable VIIC/41 model and hence thirsty for details which are far beyond my capacities allthough I spent hours crawling around in the narrow spaces. I wish I had kept my numerous sketches now for your museumpiece. I donated all my sketchbooks to the Norwegian Naval Museum, unfortunately they were only dealing with RN`s  A,T and S class thus of no use for you, however the RNorN submarineservice, www.uvb.no, had a designoffice for possible conversion of our older british and german subs and it migth be they have some detailed drawings.
I all modesty I`m in the final stage of a 1/72 model of KNM Kaura, the norwegian version of VIIC/41 (ex U 995) this how the real boat looked like in my time. 
Regards Tore

Hi Tore

The dark shape under the group of men along the hull side, was it made off Wood?

Were has been discussing about the propose of these on the U-boat. Some believe it was for strengthen the decking around the Schnorchel. My feeling is it was made of wood and used to stop the harbour ropes rubbing on the metal edge of the deck.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #51 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 14:35 »
Manuals Drawings
Hi Christopher!
I just realised you are building an unbelievable VIIC/41 model and hence thirsty for details which are far beyond my capacities allthough I spent hours crawling around in the narrow spaces. I wish I had kept my numerous sketches now for your museumpiece. I donated all my sketchbooks to the Norwegian Naval Museum, unfortunately they were only dealing with RN`s  A,T and S class thus of no use for you, however the RNorN submarineservice, www.uvb.no, had a designoffice for possible conversion of our older british and german subs and it migth be they have some detailed drawings.
I all modesty I`m in the final stage of a 1/72 model of KNM Kaura, the norwegian version of VIIC/41 (ex U 995) this how the real boat looked like in my time. 
Regards Tore

Hi Tore

The dark shape under the group of men along the hull side, was it made off Wood?

Were has been discussing about the propose of these on the U-boat. Some believe it was for strengthen the decking around the Schnorchel. My feeling is it was made of wood and used to stop the harbour ropes rubbing on the metal edge of the deck.

Yes they were made of wood and painted black, they looked like being fitted in a hurry with some variations between the various boats. They were kind of rough. We never made use of them. I was told they were for  open sea towage and laying alongside f.i. a supplysub loading torpedoes in the open sea. They were definitely not for strengthening the wood of the casingdeck. By the way have you noticed the rodcasing for the snort lockingrod, the vertical "pipe" on the conningtower? As you migth know they were in at least 2 different versions, the Kaura version, KNM Kya (ex U 926) version, rod free over the brakewater and then directly inside the conning tower.
 Have a nice weekend.
 Regards
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #52 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 21:29 »
Yes, I knew about the different versions for the rodcasing. Hoping to have my article about the Schnorchel ready in a few days.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #53 on: 27 Jan , 2012, 23:35 »
Yes, I knew about the different versions for the rodcasing. Hoping to have my article about the Schnorchel ready in a few days.
Are you writing an article on the snorting? I once in antique ages wrote a paper on timing and modifying the profile of the cams on the diesels for optimal timing while snorting. Everything long gone. I would love to see your paper.
Regards Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #54 on: 28 Jan , 2012, 14:41 »
NZSnowman
Re your paper on the snort I`m sending a pictue of the KNM Kya (ex U 926) and on the stb side of the conningtower it could be something like a pipe.
regard tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #55 on: 28 Jan , 2012, 15:01 »
Hi NZSnowman!
The wooden "fender"
Im sending  a couple of pictures showing the variations ot the thing.
Regards Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #56 on: 28 Jan , 2012, 19:28 »
We should start a thread called " learning with Tore!"
I hope we are not making you tired, Sir!
You have stumbled into people who NEED information!!! (myself included!)
As one who enjoys sharing information I can only hope that the info you choose to share is enjoyable to you!
Having said that Sir, in your capacity as a snorchel officer, did you ever notice visual conditions of the boat that may or may not have affected your job?
The things you may have noticed in passing... We all want to hear your words!
For instance, I wonder if you recall seeing little things like ratings (or whatever your Navy might call them,) painting the outboard metal or the inboard hull?! Things an officer might be in charge of that you can describe!

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #57 on: 29 Jan , 2012, 00:03 »
Hi Christopher
I was thinking the other day that I should for my own sake start a new thread like Tores mailbox for VIIC`s where you guys could ask questions which you believe I could answer. As it is now I get questions popping up on many different threads which I haven`t read and you migth easely not getting an answer. It migth be easier for an old man not so conversant in cyberspace to stay put in some place and let the questions come in. Would it be an idea?
Regards Tore

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jan , 2012, 00:41 »
Tore - good idea. Start a thread!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #59 on: 29 Jan , 2012, 03:25 »
Christopher
My reply to your questions I have answered in my new thread which I opened upon yours and Rokkets suggestions.
Regard Tore