Author Topic: Possible New 1:72 Scale Type VII  (Read 6292 times)

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
Re: Possible New 1:72 Scale Type VII
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec , 2009, 20:19 »
Hi!
I have also been kicking around idea of a 1/72 type VII F. A good set of deck plans would be nice!
Regards,
Dan

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec , 2009, 09:51 »
Hi!
I have also been kicking around idea of a 1/72 type VII F. A good set of deck plans would be nice!
Regards,
Dan

Hey Dan:

Haven't heard from you since the Nationals back in August.
The Kruppwerkes is back home and looking for a permanent home. (Hopefully a museum setting, but so far no takers)

With regards to the Type VIIF deck plan there is a general arrangement plan in David Westwood's book Anatomy of the Ship / the Type VII boat on page 41 plate A10, but I,m afraid a lot of detail is lacking. I will go through my U-boat books to see if there are any other photos or plans. I hope this helps.

All the best,

Don

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #17 on: 24 Dec , 2009, 09:41 »
Hi Don!
A Merry Christmas to you!
You should be able to find Krupp Werks a good home! What a wonderfull diorama! Thank you for any help on the Type VII F! I have been working on my 1/72 Type IX U-805 project. I am taking a break for the hoildays, will begin again on Boxing Day. I needed a break from this. It truly is becoming a major work in progress! It is fast becoming a major scratch building effort!
So what are you working on now? Another 3 year project? Let me know how and what you are up to my friend!

Best Regards,
Dan

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #18 on: 24 Dec , 2009, 14:27 »
Hi Don!
A Merry Christmas to you!
You should be able to find Krupp Werks a good home! What a wonderfull diorama! Thank you for any help on the Type VII F! I have been working on my 1/72 Type IX U-805 project. I am taking a break for the hoildays, will begin again on Boxing Day. I needed a break from this. It truly is becoming a major work in progress! It is fast becoming a major scratch building effort!
So what are you working on now? Another 3 year project? Let me know how and what you are up to my friend!

Best Regards,
Dan

Dan:
I'm sure the 805 will be quite the boat when finished.

I'm doing Revell's 1/72 scale U-boat as U96. The origional plan was to do it OOB, but I made the mistake of seeing Siara's thread and from then on all bets were off. I started the project on Sept 15 and as of today I am not yet at Revell's step one in the kit instructions! Hopefully it will not be a three year project, but I could see it taking the better part of a year.

Needless to say, I do not have 1/100 of his modeling skills  (Does anyone. I wonder?) but I am trying to follow his lead where I am able. I am also using both Wink's and Glenn Cauley's builds for inspiration and information.

Right now I have the scratchbuilt pressure hull almost finished, the holes and vents drilled out, and the exterior hull 'oilcanned.' Lots of pressure hull detailing that will not be readilly seen, but I feel good knowing it's there, plus the fact that it allows me to sharpen my modeling skills along the way. With luck, and a good tailwind I should have the hull halfs together before the new year.

I hope this note finds you well, and I wish you all the best through the holidays. Stay in touch.

Don

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #19 on: 27 Dec , 2009, 16:41 »
Hi Don!
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
I had over 2 feet of snow here! So that is giving me plenty of time with family and my U-805! I am presently working on detail on the top of the pressure hull. I am following the basic pattern of the Type VII, but the Type IX had a different arrangement with the D-Motors in a different location next to the Control Room. I hope to have this U-Boat done by Omaha in 2011!
U-96 will be an interesting project! Hook up with Dougie to see if he has any info and photos of this U-Boat to help with paint and other details specific to this U-Boat. You will find that the Revell kit is specfic to few Type VII U-Boats, many differences between Boats and many changes over the life of the Boats as well.
Looking foward to seeing you and your work again!
Regards,
Dan