Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 2417 times)

devans

New to forum
« on: 22 Aug , 2009, 13:02 »
Well I found you guys a few days back and have been poking around and I must say this is a nice sight. Lots of real talent and helping hands. Since I can't help in the talent department I'd like to help in the information department. A while back I spent some time on the USS Lionfish and took around 160 pictures, all external and I tried to take them from a modelers perspective. I believe to some extent they will answer some questions I've seen posted, like the shape of the exhaust ports. By the way I've seen round, oval and one picture the was round but due to an optical illusion it appeared oval. I'm a big fan of fleet boats, I own three. Two Revell 1/72 and one in 1/48th scale. One Revell will be a generic Gato at this point, the other I'm going to convert over to the USS Sea Tiger from the movie. That one is for my grand daughter. The 1/48 is going to be the USS Icefish. When I get to them I will start build threads, I need to finish a couple of other projects first.
Here is a link to my Lionfish album. If you don't know what a picture is ask and I'll explain it. If you look at my other album you'll see one of the projects I'm finishing up on.
Don

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q10/Deavans/

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
Re: New to forum
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug , 2009, 14:09 »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I found your pix a while ago but just spent part of this morning going through them.
How ironic you should post here today. :D

I noticed that replaced most of the wood decking with diamond patterned plate. ::)

For the Sea Tiger you will want to copy the Balao SS-285 if you are doing it in pink.
The Queenfish was used dock side for the opening and ending of the film and the Archerfish was used the rest of the time she was grey.
The Roncador was used in the 70's TV series.

I love the Icefish battle flag, good choice.

I'm building the Bream used in the opening of Run Silent Run Deep in 1/72.
Eventually I'd like to do a few others used in movies.

Looking forward to seeing your builds.

Eric...

devans

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug , 2009, 15:45 »
Thanks for the welcome. I know about using the Balao for the pink version and I already have a set of plans for that boat from the floating Drydock. It's going to take a lot of modifying but what the heck I like a challenge. Oh and they all will be radio control. I won't hit on that too much unless someone wants to know.
The diamond plate on the Lionfish is atrocious, I just kept rolling my eyes, shaking my head and wondering what the..... were they thinking.
I'm hoping to start the fleet boats soon.
Don

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug , 2009, 21:54 »
Thanks very much for sharing, and for the great subjects and quality. They will be very helpful!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Mike K

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug , 2009, 13:57 »
Hi Don. I couldn't reply to your message. Drop me an Email at << mkeatingss(AT)cox.net >>. I'll answer your question and provide some drawings.
Mike K.

devans

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug , 2009, 18:17 »
Email inbound Mike.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #6 on: 04 Oct , 2009, 13:37 »
Hey Devans,

Mr. Mike K has some great info on gato subs.....ty again mike.

devans

« Reply #7 on: 04 Oct , 2009, 17:21 »
Yes I know, he has been feeding me with all sorts of great info. Thanks for checking in.