Author Topic: German Torpedo Color?  (Read 110428 times)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Re: German Torpedo Color?
« Reply #240 on: 24 Apr , 2018, 05:11 »
Do the postions look ok (Yellow = Lut and Red = Fat)?
Hmm... no, but I need to check it properly. I have access to fat-torpedoes, so I can make an exact measurement, and I can probably make an accurate location of the Lut-panel by measurung my Lut-gyroscope (I'm not sure when I get an opportunity, but I'll try to remember it the next time I get out to the torpedobattery).

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #241 on: 26 Apr , 2018, 06:22 »
Here is an updated list of german torpedoes with various operational status in WWII. It's still not 100%, but improved a lot since my first attempt...

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #242 on: 29 May , 2018, 14:33 »
Quote from: Natter
Quote from: NZSnowman
Do the postions look ok (Yellow = Lut and Red = Fat)?
Hmm... no, but I need to check it properly. I have access to fat-torpedoes, so I can make an exact measurement, and I can probably make an accurate location of the Lut-panel by measurung my Lut-gyroscope (I'm not sure when I get an opportunity, but I'll try to remember it the next time I get out to the torpedobattery).
Here are some measurments regarding the position of the FAT/LUT-panels. Unfortunately, I have only had access to a FAT-torpedo and a LUT I gyroscope at the time being, and I haven't been able to dig up good photos of the LUT-panel on a torpedo...
I hope you find these helpful though, and perhaps you can extrapolate other measurements if needed.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #243 on: 30 May , 2018, 14:11 »
Thanks  :)

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #244 on: 12 Mar , 2019, 08:27 »

Looking foreward to the torpedo guide you are working on. :)

I have done about 40 drawings of the torpedoes and 24 pages so far. I am waiting for Natter to check a few things.

Simon

How is it going with the guide?

I have once more been reading through his thread and found it as a great source of information, however it would be great with the pictured guide for us!

Best Regards,

Anders

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #245 on: 17 Mar , 2019, 19:48 »
I just go back from holiday, but I will try to post something this week. 

Offline Islandern

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #246 on: 19 Mar , 2019, 23:42 »
NZSnowman, that sounds great. Keep up the good work.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #247 on: 24 Feb , 2020, 15:01 »
Natter, do you know the width of the fin glide on the top of the torpedo?
I have seen to have 2 valves, 10 mm and 23 mm, 23 mm seem too large.

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #248 on: 24 Feb , 2020, 17:16 »
Natter, do you know the width of the fin glide on the top of the torpedo?
I have seen to have 2 valves, 10 mm and 23 mm, 23 mm seem too large.
Sorry, but I don't understand... "fin glide"?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #249 on: 25 Feb , 2020, 13:20 »

Fig. 1 . Fin glide on the top of the torpedo (red arrow).

Fig. 2 . Glide reset.

Q1. The width of the glide in the top of tube (its look about 10 -15 mm)?

Q2. Does this glide fixed within the top torpedo tube reset?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #250 on: 25 Feb , 2020, 18:12 »
You are reffering to the "fuhrungswarze" (guidingknob). Note that the G7a(TI) in your foto from the "Wilhelm Bauer" museum submarine, has it's knob mounted backwards.

I have the measurements, but I can't find them now. I'm going to Herdla on friday, so in worst case, I'll make new measurements then.

Depening on which type of tube the torpedo was to be used, there would be three different "configurations" for these guiding-/holding-/stop-knobs:

* "Smooth" submarine-tube: No knobs mounted
 * Standard submarine-tube: Both the "Haltebolzenwiderlager" (stoppingknob) and the "fuhringswarze" (guidingknob) mounted.
 * Surface-tube: Both the "Hangewarze" (hanging-/holdingknob) and the "fuhringswarze" (guidingknob) mounted.

The "Hangewarze" was mounted on the airtank. It's T-shape kept the torpedo in position and ensured that it woudln't "tip down" to early leaving the tube during the launch, risking it getting "stucked".
The "fuhringswarze" was mounted on the top of the vertical fin, ensuring the torpedo didn't rotate in the tube during launch.
The "Haltebolzenwiderlager" was mounted above the enginecompartment, ensuring the torpedo wasn't pushed to far into the tube during loading.

I have attached a photo showing the details of the three different knobs, as well as two photos showing the corresponding T-shaped rail in the surface tubes.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb , 2020, 18:23 by Natter »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #251 on: 25 Feb , 2020, 18:19 »
A part of Tafel 1 from the Marine-Dienstvorschrift Nr. 358A Torpedo G7a Zeichnungen (1941), showing the placements (measurements in mm):
« Last Edit: 25 Feb , 2020, 18:21 by Natter »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #252 on: 25 Feb , 2020, 18:41 »
You are reffering to the "fuhrungswarze" (guidingknob). Note that the G7a(TI) in your foto from the "Wilhelm Bauer" museum submarine, has it's knob mounted backwards.

I have the measurements, but I can't find them now. I'm going to Herdla on friday, so in worst case, I'll make new measurements then.

Depening on which type of tube the torpedo was to be used, there would be three different "configurations" for these guiding-/holding-/stop-knobs:

* "Smooth" submarine-tube: None knobs mounted
 * Standard submarine-tube: Only the "Haltebolzenwiderlager" (stoppingknob) mounted.
 * Surface-tube: Both the "H

Thanks for the information! No rush on the measurements. I am sure I could used 12.5 mm and no one would know or care :-D

I was in Chicago last year and got to see the G7es/T5.

I also found a torpedo in the German Museum of Technology (Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin) it was hidden in a closed area, but I was able to take a few average photo's of it. Do you know of this torpedo?

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #253 on: 29 Feb , 2020, 11:28 »
Thanks for the information! No rush on the measurements. I am sure I could used 12.5 mm and no one would know or care :-D
Sorry, but my scheduled trip to Herdla yesterday was cancelled. I hope to get the opportunity next week.
I usually have a couple of these knobs laying around as paperweights here in my office, but for some reason I must have put them away in a safe place that I can't recall now...  :-\

If I was to guesstimate, I'd say closer to 15 rather than 12 mm...

I was in Chicago last year and got to see the G7es/T5.
I also found a torpedo in the German Museum of Technology (Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin) it was hidden in a closed area, but I was able to take a few average photo's of it. Do you know of this torpedo?
In my notes I have 4 torpedoes/major torpedoparts in that museum, but not what type...I'd love to see some photos both of this and the one in Chicago (you can't get too much torpedo-photos  :P ).

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #254 on: 29 Feb , 2020, 13:22 »
German Museum of Technology (Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin)
If you click on them you should see the full view. Natter, you should be able to download them if you want them for your collection.

« Last Edit: 29 Feb , 2020, 13:25 by NZSnowman »