Author Topic: Trumpeter to release a Type VIIC U552 U-Boat!  (Read 17666 times)

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
Re: Trumpeter to release a Type VIIC U552 U-Boat!
« Reply #30 on: 08 Sep , 2016, 11:11 »
Dougie,

You are welcome.  It appears there are now multiple hobby store websites offering this model as a "pre-order".  Almost all of them are asking for more than Free Time Hobbies $350.00 (US Dollar) price.  I do think it is interesting that while several people have commented they do not want this kit because it is a cut-a-way, that is the main reason I want to get it! To each his own, right?

Thanks

Phillip1

Offline tsenecal

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #31 on: 26 Sep , 2016, 09:11 »
I don't mind it being a cutaway, i just feel that if i am going to spend $350 to $500, i should get a kit that is more accurate than the $20 revell cutaway model of a Type VII.

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct , 2016, 04:42 »
Hi Gents,

here is another link with pictures of the sprues, decals, instructions and the small photo etch fret:

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-ships-boats-trumpeter-models-tr-06801-1:48-german-type-viic-u-boat-u-552

The kit has more than 1,100 parts.

Regards
falo

« Last Edit: 19 Oct , 2016, 04:44 by falo »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 19 Oct , 2016, 14:28 »
Hi Falo,

Thanks for posting those links. That kit is expensive but looks very tempting.

AMP will be releasing 48th scale decals to support this kit. These will be our existing designs but in 48th scale -
- Sawfish (U 96 and 9th U-F)
- Snowman (U 201)
- Snorting Bull (7th U-F)
- Waterline draught markings

We'll also release 48th scale flags as well. When they are in stock we'll let you know.

If anyone gets this kit please let us know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 25 Oct , 2016, 14:33 »
Hello folks,

We now have the sawfish, snowman and snorting bull decals available in 48th scale for the new Trumpeter VIIC kit. Our decal page is at -

http://amp.rokket.biz/decals.shtml

The snorting bulls are available in two sizes, as per the other scales. There are also two different versions of the snowman as well.

We'll have the white waterline draught markings for the hull and 48th scale Kriegsmarine flags available for sale within the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
« Reply #36 on: 28 Oct , 2016, 23:18 »
Fellow Modelers,

I received my U-552 model that I pre-ordered. Below are several photos of the contents. The box is BIG, at 57"X18"X9" and weighs 21lbs! The parts are incredibly well detailed. There are 48 crew members included (an entire crew!) in many poses, with separate heads and arms. The clear parts are perfect and very well protected including foam buffers. The clear rear hull section is in ONE piece and already assembled. The solid left hull has the deck already attached. The assembly instruction book is 60 pages long, and two full color painting handouts are included. From what I have observed this model is basically a piece of art, and I have never seen another one like it.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Thanks

Phillip1

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: 29 Oct , 2016, 08:20 »
Hi Phillip1,

thanks for sharing. What a giant box ...

Regards
falo

Offline Bob Tomlin

• Ensign
« Reply #38 on: 29 Oct , 2016, 13:48 »
Wow.
That's some impressive sized model. Just wondering if I could possibly get away with the 'You'll never guess what I won in a raffle at Scale Model World' ploy, by adding a coloured number ticket to it.
That will take some time to do it justice.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: 02 Nov , 2016, 16:06 »
Hi Philip,

Thanks for posting the images of the new kit, that will be a lot of fun to build!

We now have 48th scale waterline draught marking decals available. The code is O-48W and can be seen at -

http://amp.rokket.biz/decals.shtml

If you want more info on the draught marks, which were on all U-boats, you can read our AMP article "U-Boat Waterline Draught Marks" at -

http://amp.rokket.biz/lib_uboats.shtml

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline tsenecal

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #40 on: 10 Nov , 2016, 11:51 »
Phillip,

thanks for so kindly posting the pictures... it helps quite a bit in deciding whether this is a model to purchase or not.   what is your overall impression of the detail?  not to be a rivet counter...  but does the detail seem "accurate" or wildly out of scale for the size of the model....  etc.

Tim

Offline phillip1

• Ensign
« Reply #41 on: 23 Nov , 2016, 18:57 »
tsenecal,

Sorry for the delayed response.  After further review I am still very impressed with this kit!  As far as I can tell it is an accurate layout of a Type VII U-boat interior, but I am not the right person to ask.  All I know is that from the assembly book the detail looks great.  The kit has over 1,100 parts so "detailed" and "intricate" are good words to use.  The diesel engine is comprised of about 130 parts!  The toilet is made up of 5 parts.  Listed below are my "pros" and "cons":
PROS: Very sharp moldings/No flash on parts/Almost all of the small add-on wall and bulkhead parts are separate, which will make painting very easy
CON: By including a complete clear hull half and solid deck sections I believe it will make it hard to see all of the included detail when finished.  This is not really a "con" just an observation.  I feel cut-a-way submarines are better to look at when half the hull is missing.

I have included some photos of the kit instructions and photos of a cutaway model I built several years ago to make my point.

Thanks
Phillip1

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #42 on: 01 Dec , 2016, 19:00 »

Hi all, have been on hiatus for a while, but am back now. After much agonizing and soul searching, I too have pulled the trigger on this kit. Don't know where I'm going to put it, and with over 1,100 parts I will probably spend the rest of my natural life building it. But.. it is mine.. :)
For the poster who said the detail is no better than the ancient Revell U-47 kit, I beg to differ. The level of detail is incredible on this kit! As an example, the diesel engine is a kit unto itself, it is that detailed.
It even has a full crew, who are very well done, and even a nearly complete torpedo loadout. It is just amazing. That being said, there are a few things I do not like, such as the deck already attached to one half of the hull. I would not have had a problem with that, except that none of the deck hatches can be opened. On a kit of this level of detail, that particular design decision is inexplicable. Removing this deck (or the hatches) would be a pain in the arse for sure.
Another disappointment is that none of the wooden bench seats are present on the conning tower railings. However, I'm sure the aftermarket will take care of that minor issue. Still and all though, I am VERY impressed with this kit. I have been waiting for something like this for decades, and finally it is here. I am also glad to see that AMP has already released decals and a 1/48 cloth flag. There was no way I was going to build U-552. Everyone and their brother will be building it, and in any case I never build anything with the kit supplied decals.
Don't know as I want to build the U-96 either, but I will undoubtedly support AMP and get the set. The Peddinghaus 1/48 decals are atrocious; hopefully some other manufacturers will also release 1/48 decals for this kit. I will be interested to see if START Verlag does one, as they did for 1/72 and 1/144.
Also, for the poster that said the kit would look better without the clear hull section, it appears that the kit can be built without it. Another way folks could go is to cut sections out of the clear hull half, and paint the rest. This would in effect make the kit like a giant version of a 1/72 Revell kit with all the CMK parts added. I am strongly tempted to go that route myself. Don't know for sure yet. It will be a while before I get that far with the build, so I have plenty of time to think about it.
All in all, two big thumbs up for Trumpeter's new 1/48th U-boat offering! :)

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #43 on: 03 Dec , 2016, 12:33 »

My kit showed up in today's mail; what a freaking huge box! I have a full size car and it still would not fit in the trunk without letting the back seat down. Incredible. Again, everything in the box is just awesome. I did find a couple more small disappointments though. The Revell U-552 gives you optional parts to build either an early or late Type VIIC. The Trumpeter kit only allows you to build an early one, without the wind deflector or rod antenna.
Will have to wait and see what aftermarket parts turn up I suppose. But anyway, time to go back to looking at all the goodies in the box.. :)

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: 20 Jun , 2018, 18:31 »
Well I bought one and looking forward to building it someday. It's really BIG. 

Later Tim