Author Topic: Tores mailbox IX C and IX C/40 operational and technical details  (Read 17619 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Hello Mr. Tore,

Can you translate this for me?

"Entwässern Entlütungsleitung bei Frostgefahr Tauchbunker 4 Stb bzw Bd"

Sheet 9 index item "f" I'm having a problem with "Frostgefahr"

Regards,
Don_
Don.
First question: Drain in case of freezing danger of dive bunkers 4 port and starboard via venting pipe. I guess you have misprinted the german word for ventingpipe which should read: Entluftungsleitung.
Frostgefahr: danger of freezing, "Freezing danger".

Tore
« Last Edit: 20 Aug , 2016, 07:15 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have been reading through the MAN 9 cylinder diesel engine USN document and after the schnorkel was installed on the U-Boat IXC they replaced the reversing cam with a cam that reduced the overlay of the valves. I don't see any reference in our discussions about the GW 6 cylinder diesel engine on the type VII.  U-995 diesel control panel had the reversing lever removed and had the schnorkel installed. Did the make any changes to the cam timing on the GW engines? I have attached a link to what I was reading...

http://www.uboatarchive.net/Design/DesignStudiesTypeIXC-S41-5.htm

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
Don.
As you know there is a significant difference in the GW and MAN engine, you may say, MAN was the Ferrari and GW the Ford. With regard to the timing of the exhaustcams MAN was more susceptible to back pressure variations as they were equipped with the BUCHI system, an early version of todays turbo supercharger systems. The Buchi system was, as to days turbocharger system, in continious operation over the whole power range. At that time the it was difficult to get the alloys for exhaustgas turbine blades capable of withstanding the high temperatures. The temperatures increases with the back pressure so I guess they had to install the special schnorchelling cams for continious schnorchelling in order to increase the overlapping to get the exhausttemperatures down. This in contradiction to the GW engine having a mechanical supercharger (Roots blower) which was only clutched in at high loads and revs. Thus on the GW engines the whole reversingmechanism including the reversing cylinder and astern cams were removed which simplyfies the engines and give a very welcome weight reduction particulary for the VIIC/41 type.
Tore
« Last Edit: 26 Aug , 2016, 13:51 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Hello Mr. Tore,

I placed the file Skizzenbuch IX 11 x 17 - Prologue.pdf in the Skizzenbuch Type IX folder in dropbox.  You have full permission in that folder, so you should be able to download or visw the file.  This is very similar to the Type VII Prologue section with 20 pages (Mostly Graphics). Please review what I have done and I look forward to your expert comments...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
Don. For some reasons I can`t find the IX folder in the drop box, I only get the VIIC mailed 17 days ago. I am still at my remote farm with limited internet capacity but I am expected one of my grandsons up for the week end hopefully he might be able to figure out what`s wrong.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Hello Mr. Tore,

I deleted the share and re-established it again...  The file is below all those IXC images...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Hello Mr. Tore,

I corrected some of the drawings where I didn't have MBT 1, MBT 5, and MBT 8 flooded when summerged.  I also corrected a spelling error.  The new file Skizzenbuch IX 11 x 17 - 0 - Prologue.pdf  is in the Skizzenbuch Type IX folder...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
Don I still don`t get the IXC Skizzenbook folder. Could you kindly share on my other E-mail adresse tberg-ni@online.no?
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Done....
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
Don.
Thanks, I got it and shall revert after reading your prologue.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Hello Mr. Tore,

I really do apologize for wasting your valuable time... I read over the prologue again and I was astounded to see so many stupid mistakes.  I have corrected some of the stuff that you have told me about before, and I sure hope I have it right this time.

Skizzenbuck IX 11 x 17 - 0 - Prologue.pdf was just uploaded...

Kind regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
Don. A few comment to your prologue. May be it would be an idea to start with the pressure hull which on the IXc is divided into 5 pressureproof compartments as indicated on my image below. Each compartment is separated by a doomed pressureproof bulkhead and have a separate escape
 ( access)hatch. Further as the 9 cylinder main engines are having a considerable weight, you would like to avoid a large moment,distance from the submarines center of gravity and buoyancy, hence the main engines are placed next to the control room.
If you should like to stay to the RN English may be you should go back to hydroplanes instead of diveplanes.
Emergency mechanical operated steering. I am not sure if you used same for "silent running" we never did on the VIICs.
Mechanical connected hydroplanes. May be you misunderstood my remark on the porpoise effect of the independent hydroplane control. By purpoise effect ( a type of dolphin) we mean an alternating up and down movement of the submarine as a consquence of unexperienced hydroplane operators. The delicate interplay between the skilled forward and aft hydroplane operators, normally make an smooth controlled movement of the submarine, if you have unexperienced hydroplane operators they might create a porpoise effect which at periscope depth could cause you are breaking the surface.
Tore
« Last Edit: 05 Sep , 2016, 02:41 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Hello Mr. Tore,

I will take your advice and change the Prologue to comply with your suggestions...

The info below is from the US Navy report on the Type IX C U-Boat.

STEERING AND DIVING

SUMMARY

The steering gear and plane operating gear operates on a traveling screw-fixed nut principle. Push button electric control is provided, and hand-wheels are fitted for emergency and silent-running service. Bow planes are permanently rigged out. Twin steering rudders are provided.

Rudders and planes are well located to obtain maximum effect with minimum area. The systems are compact, but are not otherwise unusual in any respects, and do not warrant exploitation.

Regards,
Don_

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Hello Mr, Tore,

Perhaps the 3rd time is a charm...  I believe I have got the Prologue right (or very close to being right).  I will always concede to your wisdom about U-Boats.  I have uploaded my latest Prologue into the dropbox Type IX folder...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
Don. Shall recheck your last prologue today. Your remark on manually operated hydroplanes during silent running. You are right, the German instruction in the Handbook for submarine commanders  says you should switch over to manual operation of the hydroplanes during silent running see copy below. As I said we never followed the German instructions.
Tore