Author Topic: Working on a Gato  (Read 3609 times)

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Working on a Gato
« on: 06 May , 2014, 10:15 »
Well thought that I would post a picture of my son working on our Gato. We started the kit a few years ago and when he is in town we work on it together. I have worked on a few parts of the build also. Someday I'll post some finished pictures. Still going to need a lot more work.
The build is a basic out of the box build without getting fancy.

Later Tim

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Re: Working on a Gato
« Reply #1 on: 20 May , 2014, 10:34 »
Hope all is well, look forward to the pictures.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr , 2018, 22:49 »
Well set the Gato down for a while. Need to finish it between everything else I've been doing and planning.

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr , 2018, 12:14 »
Due to three things, 1st this website and 2nd looking at some Launch Tags that I have and 3rd a book on the "Portsmouth Naval Shipyard" I got down the hull of the Gato sub that my son and I started.
Well did a lot of dusting and then a little work on the hull then the looking for the other parts and directions. At the stage of where did I put those other parts?? So between looking for the other stuff I have started working on the hull again. Need to add a little more filler here and there and clean some up and glue something that worked loose. Going to try to take a pic or two later tonight and post where I'm at.
Remember - it's a basic out of the box build for this one.

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 01 May , 2018, 10:48 »
Small update. GREAT for me however. I located those parts. RaRa. Took some pics and will try again to post a few when I get home later tonight.
Been working on to many other things Looking forward to working on this Gato again.

Later Tim

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #5 on: 02 May , 2018, 01:47 »
standing by for pix
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 02 May , 2018, 11:57 »
Working on it. Keep on doing other things it seems. Took the pics uploaded them into the other computer now need to load the redone pics back into this computer and post them.

Keep on looking up and looking for pics of the bombed U-505 (11/10/1942) and reading the "Portsmouth Naval Shipyard" book and such.
Also thinking about a diorama on above deck handling of torpedoes on IXC subs and reviewing info for that.

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: 02 May , 2018, 16:30 »
Here are a few pics.

Later Tim

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 12 May , 2018, 10:04 »
Well the last week I have spent more time working on 1:1 scale house work. Finishing the mud work on a ceiling. I find it interesting in that I'm adding "mud" to the low spots on my Gato when I take a break on the ceiling work. I've been using Testor's Contour Putty this time. I think that I'll try the Tamiya Putty or standard Milliput (yellow - grey) for the fills ins next time. Any thoughts on any of the three products. After I get the small mold release marks etc filled in I'm thinking of going over those areas with pactra prep 41-4 primer/surfacer. Thoughts on that anyone?

Later Tim
« Last Edit: 28 May , 2018, 08:29 by 42rocker »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: 28 May , 2018, 03:23 »
Tamniya Gray is awesome. Sometimes "hot" on styrene, but dries pretty hard. Testors tends to be powdery, IMO.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: 28 May , 2018, 08:33 »
What do you like for filler??
Later Tim

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: 05 Jun , 2018, 02:10 »
I like the Tamiya gray putty, it's smooth and creamy. Squadron green is good, but not as creamy.

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jun , 2018, 05:57 »
Thanks for that info. 

Later Tim