Author Topic: Forward crew section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 44978 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Design the interior of the VII/c
« Reply #165 on: 24 Mar , 2012, 07:17 »
Simon
It`s  a different 90 degrees bend from that of U 995. Do you know the buildingyear and U-number of this U boat? If your theory as to the angle of the rod comes into serious conflict with a horizontal pressure CR stuffingbox I would skip the horizontal stuffingboxtheory because it could of course be made in an angle although the most common execution would be horizontal.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #166 on: 24 Mar , 2012, 13:09 »
Simon
It`s  a different 90 degrees bend from that of U 995. Do you know the buildingyear and U-number of this U boat? If your theory as to the angle of the rod comes into serious conflict with a horizontal pressure CR stuffingbox I would skip the horizontal stuffingboxtheory because it could of course be made in an angle although the most common execution would be horizontal.
Tore

The picture is of U-164 a Type IXC. You below can see the last section on the control arm in U-190 a Type IXC40 from Maciek article (Photo 16. Forward torpedo room on U-190 [4].)

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #167 on: 25 Mar , 2012, 10:32 »
bit of update: i started on the inner ring ribs, hard to create and cut the excess away, but i think i am getting there slowly:

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #168 on: 25 Mar , 2012, 14:14 »
so, the ceiling is more or less complete, now regarding the battery compartment:
was is like this, or were the batteries arranged in the "stairways" form? - with uneven tops? Also, what should i put into the armament storage compartment (behind batteries)?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #169 on: 25 Mar , 2012, 23:25 »
Marko
The batteries were fitted stepped both alongships and atwarthships as you can see on the posted drawings. Ammunition storage, the former S geratroom and the surrounding fueltanks arrangement can be seen on the GE plan.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #170 on: 26 Mar , 2012, 00:00 »
oh, i thought they were in stepped form, would be more esthetic. Will redraw the whole thing after i get home in the afternoon.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #171 on: 26 Mar , 2012, 00:52 »
Changing the batteries individual size would imply capacity difference and even other electrical differences which you don`t want when the cells are grouped. I`m afraid on the subs technical necesseties have a priority before esthetics Marko. Don`t forget the tanks.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #172 on: 31 Mar , 2012, 18:46 »
its been a long time since last post, however i made quite a bit of progress; if this gets approved i am moving on to the storage area right behind the battery compartment. I know that there should also been washing water tanks, however i have no idea how did those look like, since in the schematics that i have its marked as square box with an X.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #173 on: 01 Apr , 2012, 00:42 »
Marko
You are getting along. A few remarks. It seems you have mixed the atwartships strengtheningplates of the boxkeel with the pressure hull frames, have a looked at the picture below. The strengtheningplates shouldn`t be more than an inch thick and of course placed inside the keel. The bulkhead between the CPO mess and fwd torpedoroom was not a pressurebulkhead as the controlroombulkhead, but just a thin watertigth bulkhead. The tanks were square as you see on the photo below.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #174 on: 01 Apr , 2012, 01:10 »
Marko
Boxkeel.
May be it`s better explained by the picture posted below. Red is the keel outside the pressurehull, blue are the frames inside the pressurehull.
Tore 

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #175 on: 01 Apr , 2012, 04:14 »
so, essentially if i got it right, i should make these pressure hull supports (spacers between keel and PH) thinner? - at the moment those are 1,5 mm thick (marked red)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #176 on: 01 Apr , 2012, 05:12 »
Refering to your drawing where I have made colour indications (posted below).The pressurehull starts to taper appr. from frame 51, the frames have all identical higths and are circular, following the internal pressurehulls surface (blue), hence the batterycompartmentfloor is following the tapering of pressurehull. Because the boxkeels heel is horizontal, the box keels internal atwortships strengthplates (green) hights are inceasing following the externally the pressurehulltapering. The plates are welded to the outside of the pressurehull exactly where the frames are located inside( green).
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #177 on: 01 Apr , 2012, 06:29 »
May be the below drawing gives a better understandig. The red line indicates the outlines of the pressure proof compartments.The red arrow shows the flat heel of the boxkeel on which the sub is resting sitting on the seabed. The internal crossstrengthening keelplates in the boxkeel are placed exactly adjacent to the internal hullframes in the flat area for extra strength whereas further fwd you`ll see the keelplates are fewer and not adjacent to the frames.
Tore
« Last Edit: 01 Apr , 2012, 06:40 by tore »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #178 on: 01 Apr , 2012, 07:58 »
oh, i get it.

the only problem is, that revell designed the kit slightly differently, so did the CMK. This is what i mean:
the cut out geometry:

cmk sections design (not my build):

i have to make a compromise here, the original design just wont do it, since i have to align the rest of the parts along. Unfortunately every designer (Revell, CMK) did the job their way, and this leaves tiny gap for me to maneuver around. I think i wont be able to to it the proper way, unless if someone has a good idea how to manage it?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #179 on: 01 Apr , 2012, 08:52 »
Marko
I think it`s OK. Don`t get confused with the torpedocompensatingtank 2&3 with the domed bulkhead marked red and ending fwd at frame 69.
You can chose to close the boxkeel a shown on picture below.
Tore