Author Topic: Forward crew section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 45187 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Design the interior of the VII/c
« Reply #135 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 01:19 »
COs quarter.
It looks like you have made an extra closet aft of the COs bunk. This was not COs area, but a small steelcompartment containing the automatic batteryswitch. The doors were white and made of steel I think you may see how it looked like on the panoramalink Maciek gave you above.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #136 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 01:44 »
Radioroom.
I cannot comment too much on that, the stools are OK. There were a few books some rather thick. The enigma was of course not there in my time, may be Das Boot can give you an indication.  The radio room was also an entertainment center by having a LPplayer and quite a few LPs. On the surface  we got  radiotranmission on the compartmentspeaker, not so while submerged and LP records was the only music available. Beeing submerged for weeks could be very boring and some kind of entertainment helped. Beeing submerged we transmitted very long waves codedsignals to a special radiostation ashore. We did that every 12 hours.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #137 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 06:55 »
Hi Tore

Could you describe me, how this food store looked like inside (marked with blue color)?

Also, do you remember, how the diving planes driving shaft was led and attached? I suppose, it was led near the frames, but was it attached to the frames or it has mounting points only in the points, where it passed through walls, bulkheads? (I marked the supposed layout of the shaft with red line, and mounting points with green dots).

Also, was it led through the fresh water tank? On the photo of the aft WC the shaft for the aft planes is led through the stuffing box and then through the internal oil bunker 1a, so I suppose, in this case could be similar?

The shaft is not visible in the listening and radio room, so I suppose, it has to be covered by desks.

And finally, in the type VIIC manual (http://uboatarchive.net/Manual.htm) is written:
To check the amount of suction, pressure indicating devices connected at the blank end of each extractor pipe, which are installed over the battery room deck.  They show the pressure difference between the suction pipes and battery room.
Do you remember, where these gauges were located?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #138 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 07:01 »
Radioroom
I found a photo of the U 124s  radioroom showing the german radioman in action. You can see the books and even the Enigma I guess this would give you an impression how it was in use.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #139 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 13:13 »
Also, do you remember, how the diving planes driving shaft was led and attached? I suppose, it was led near the frames, but was it attached to the frames or it has mounting points only in the points, where it passed through walls, bulkheads? (I marked the supposed layout of the shaft with red line, and mounting points with green dots).

Hi Maciek

From what I seen with the other control arms that run along the frames in the Type VIIC

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #140 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 14:33 »
Ok, from the advices given, i have added the tubeseating for the hatch, curved bulkhead would actually be doable, however CMK designed their controlroom bulkheads straight, and simply would not add up, so im leaving that as is, for esthetics :)

also the batteryswitch compartment as been modified (door) - please check it if it is ok, ill probably add the small indentation for the lightning mark, i also made the other wall for the radio room, per your advice i also made the LP player, as you probably noticed, tonearm is missing, but the printing could not make it thin enough so ill be making that from very thin wire. enigma machine is very simplified, however all keys from keyboard are there ;) now the desk actually looks more busy, ill just add a chart with morse code or map, or something to fill up the space. Unfortunately the box with LP records will have to be scratched, since the print out would be more or less like a box..

« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2012, 14:48 by Marko »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #141 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 14:51 »
Maciek
I cannot remember exactly where it was fixed and how, but Simons suggestion seems to be plausible. I believe it was led through the freshwatertank and I am pretty sure the stuffingbox was similar as for the FO tank. As to the differentialgauges I have to revert to that question.
Tore
« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2012, 15:40 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #142 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 15:37 »
Marko
You are getting ahead. The door for the batteryswitch compartment is OK when it get the indention. From the top of that compartment was a black "rail" 5-6 cm high following the red line I showed previously which was carrying the curtain. The pressurehatch door to the controlroom has got a button in the center which was`t there. Make a lever handle about 15-20 cm long placed on the rigth side looking towards aft instead. Recordplayer was probably not very modern and not for LPs but 78 records remember the years were 40-45.
Tore 

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #143 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 15:39 »
Maciek.
I think I never looked into the foodstorage sorry I`haven`t got a clue.
Tore

TopherVIIC

« Reply #144 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 16:26 »
Gentlemen,
Since this question is also one I am following, I did some looking around.
I found this.
I think that it shows that the control links to both the FWD and AFT Dive Planes for manual control are similar, based on the known link running through the aft head.
The mechanism for each dive station is mirrored, and it looks like similar links are running off towards each end of the boat, on the starboard side.
One arrow is a little close to a valve - I am not pointing to the valve, but to the link behind it.

I do have a possible path for the FWD link, but it is supposition.
Based on the deck height differences between the FWD Torp room, Officers Quarters, and Zentralle, and the supposition that glands and universal joints if run through the fresh water tank would/could contaminate the water with grease - could it be possible that the fwd link might have been run below the Officer's Compartment Decking, through the battery room, magazine, and up into the steering station from there?
That path would avoid the trim and torpedo compensating tank 3, and it would avoid having to go through the fresh water tanks, sound, and radio rooms, as well as would avoid Tore's bunk. :-) It would also have most of the linkage accessible for maintenance.
Just thoughts.
I still need to fiqure out how it links to the FWD dive plane control below the torpedo tubes. You can see that area from my cut-away part of the model.
Christopher

« Last Edit: 21 Mar , 2012, 16:50 by TopherVIIC »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #145 on: 21 Mar , 2012, 18:25 »
Uhm the "button" on the hatch is ment to be a holder for the wheel that locks and seals off the passage, basically its just a mounting point. Or was that locking mechanism differently made?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #146 on: 22 Mar , 2012, 00:13 »
Christopher.
I think you are on the rigth track, I had the same doubt as to the FWT. The transfer through the pressure CR bulkhead would have to be horizontal I should assumed. I shall be occupied with other activities the next couple of days and shall revert hopefully when (if) the details migth pop up in a very old mans mind.
Tore   
« Last Edit: 22 Mar , 2012, 00:28 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #147 on: 22 Mar , 2012, 00:26 »
Marko.
The pressurehatch door was not like an ordinary hatch, more like a door. The lever on the rigth side was more like a doorhandle and to keep the hatchdoor in open position it was a catch on the other side which you could lock to the bulkhead. The actual pressureshutting of the hatch was done by the slotted rim  and the ring operated by a fairly big handlerod going through the pressurebulkhead on the port side. You can easely see that on one of the panorama pictures.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #148 on: 22 Mar , 2012, 01:34 »
Christopher.
I think you are on the rigth track, I had the same doubt as to the FWT. The transfer through the pressure CR bulkhead would have to be horizontal I should assumed. I shall be occupied with other activities the next couple of days and shall revert hopefully when (if) the details migth pop up in a very old mans mind.
Tore   

Tore, you are correct. Both control arms runs parallel with the deck. The control arms run parallel along the centre arc of the pressure hull and about 400 mm out from the inner pressure hull wall.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #149 on: 22 Mar , 2012, 02:15 »
Simon I guess we have found the answer then.
Tore