Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576694 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #4035 on: 29 Jun , 2019, 09:27 »
Don.
The engine telegraph is an old fashion way of controlling the engine output and the wording of the orders transmitted bears evidence of that. The old marine language both in English and German did not distinguish between diesel, electric motor and steam engine, hence maschine or engine was used for the main engines in both languages generally.  In the submarine language we did make a difference between diesel and e-motor. The output and rpm (often called wrongly speed) relation of a dieselengine is following a graph put up at the testbed where the engine is connected to a waterbrake which follows the propellerlaw. The engineroom crew following the engine telegraph orders follows approximatly such a graph by adjusting the HP fuelpumps injection volume in relation to the rpm. Today this is done automatically by the governor.
Beide Maschine 10 weniger, I guess this means the propellers, regardless the powers source.

There could be situations that you would need as much power ( bollard pull) astern as possible when submerged, like sitting on the seabed and getting stuck in the clay, getting entangled in some object like u-boat net etc. In the days before schnorchel you would of course use the E-motors. On the surface likewise due to grounding, ice etc. you would need bollard pull rather than speed, anyhow the dieselengines have to give max.output or the max bollard pull, not speed.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4036 on: 29 Jun , 2019, 14:05 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

Thanks for the info about the telegraph gauge... I updated Skizzenbuck pages 416 and 417 to include this info and the new version is in dropbox. I asked the US Copyright office about Skizzenbuch and that have assigned an expeditor to the project and I am looking forward to receive the certificate very soon. It has been almost 7 months since I electronically applied for the copyright. They state on their Website that the electronic expected time period is 4 to 7 months for an application completion. I can make minor revisions or corrections without the need for a new application...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 29 Jun , 2019, 16:19 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4037 on: 29 Jun , 2019, 16:46 »
U995 Floor Covering

Mr Tore
Apologies if this has been asked before but it is quite difficult to find previous threads still with pictures that work.

The U995 modern day museum shows just metal tread plate flooring in most rooms.
As that must have been quite loud with men walking and running  (Soanar hazard) I'm trying to determine if during WW2 they would have had some sort of acoustic rubber matting etc?

I have seen some WW2 pictures of the crew lifting rubber matting up to access tread plate hatches (CO area Ammo store) on some Uboats but it doesn't seem to be a consistent use of rubber matting across all pictures.

Your thoughts?
Was a rubber matting covering on U995 post war but removed to be a Museum?

thanks
Raymic

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4038 on: 30 Jun , 2019, 02:11 »
Raymic.

Unfortuately the Laboe U 995`s flooring  is renewed to fit the visitors safety and wear. Below are a few floor plating images from my time. Basicly in the crews quarter the flooring was linoleum plates duly secured and brownish in colour. In the controlroom, E-room and dieselroom, steelplates. As far as I remember we had some fibermats in the areas near the tower ladder and the access hatches in the two spherical bulkheads at each end of the controlroom. These mats were put in these spots more for the internal noise. In the engine room we used fibermats for maintenance works to prevent damage to the parts dismantled or fitted. When the order silent running was given, we some times took of shoes, stopped non essential noisy machinery etc. In general in the daily sailing when the diesels were running we didn`t care about the noise only when the order silent running was given.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4039 on: 30 Jun , 2019, 04:04 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Were the tables in the forward torpedo room the only tables with the wing nuts to secure the tables? They had to remove the tables in order to get to the torpedoes stored below deck. Also, where did they store the tables when accessing the torpedoes below deck?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4040 on: 30 Jun , 2019, 04:13 »
Don.
As far as I remember, yes, and you are right about the torpedostorage I guess the tables were stored towards the pressurehull, I don`t remember for sure..
Tore
« Last Edit: 30 Jun , 2019, 04:15 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4041 on: 02 Jul , 2019, 22:00 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Were the tables with the wing nuts photo taken from U-995 of U-926 when you were the EO?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 02 Jul , 2019, 22:50 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4042 on: 03 Jul , 2019, 00:22 »
Don.
I don`t think they were, down below I have superimposed the tables on Falos present days forw. torpedoroom image of U 995 at Laboe.
Tore
Hello Mr. Tore,

Were the tables with the wing nuts photo taken from U-995 of U-926 when you were the EO?

Regards,
Don_

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4043 on: 03 Jul , 2019, 00:35 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Is this photo real or a doctored image? What U-Boat?

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4044 on: 03 Jul , 2019, 00:57 »
Don.
Sorry I photoshopped the tables into Falos image from the museum U 995. I have no image of the wingnut from KNM Kaura ex U 996.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4045 on: 03 Jul , 2019, 01:14 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Can you post the image of the tables?
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4046 on: 03 Jul , 2019, 01:31 »
Don. I `m not sure which image you mean, down below is Falos image of the tables on U-995 today and a separate one from an unknown VIIC.
Tore
« Last Edit: 03 Jul , 2019, 23:11 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4047 on: 03 Jul , 2019, 14:52 »
Hello Mr. Tore and All,

I have updated Page 297 with info about the tables in the Torpedo room, and changed a photo on page 225 because it was incorrect. The updated Skizzenbuch PDF has been uploaded into Dropbox.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4048 on: 03 Jul , 2019, 14:56 »

Don - I'm unfamiliar with Dropbox. How can we partake?

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4049 on: 03 Jul , 2019, 20:43 »
Hello Katuna,

I have open links for people that have helped me create "Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project" which is a book in an 11 x 17 inch format with well over 536 pages of text and images. It includes the Original German WWII U-Boat mechanical and electrical schematics with our attempt to provide a readable textual explanation in detail. I have applied for a US Copyright under my name and those that have contributed to the book and I believe I will get the certificate sometime this month. Once the copyright is approved, then I will make Skizzenbuch available to all at no cost through several websites...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD