Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576360 times)

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #4020 on: 18 Jun , 2019, 13:47 »
Ok, that was my guess. I just wasn't sure if those were wartime or post. Thanks!
Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4021 on: 18 Jun , 2019, 15:13 »
Here's another one for you; Is this the clutch actuating arm? I was looking at a build on another site and noticed this mechanism. If not the clutch arm, then...?

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4022 on: 18 Jun , 2019, 16:08 »
Hello Katuna,

Skizzenbuch page 267 brackets above valves in the control room...
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4023 on: 18 Jun , 2019, 16:17 »
Hello Katuna,

Main Clutch hydraulics in Skizzenbuch on page 425...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4024 on: 19 Jun , 2019, 01:02 »
Katuna

I guess the Trumpeter kit has missed a few details with regards to the main clutch. The clutch arm is over dimensioned and the lowerpart is cut off. The system is pneumatic-hydraulic operation of a lever connected on the top to a piston having adjustable pistonrod with two guides having end stoppers, the lever is double and split around the propellershaft having a carrierring connected to the operating link on the clutch. As the main lever is moved by the pneumatic-hydraulic system it moves the carrierring and hence the operating link on the clutch. As the system shall not function unless there is a fulcrum at the lower end of the lever you have to extend the pneumatic-hydraulic operated lever down and fit a fulcrum on the bulkhead aft on the dirtyoil tank to get it correct. Don has posted a sketch showing the system.
Tore
« Last Edit: 19 Jun , 2019, 01:58 by tore »

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4025 on: 19 Jun , 2019, 04:07 »
So much fantastic information in the Schizzenbuch from many years of your hard work.
Any idea when we can all get to see it? thanks.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4026 on: 19 Jun , 2019, 11:06 »
Hello Raymic1,

I have applied for a US Copyright back in December of 2018. According to the US Library of Congress, this process takes a maximum of nine (9) months. Once I get the US Copyright, then I will update the PDF file and make "Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project" available from several U-Boat websites at no cost. I will post the website list when the process is completed...

Skizzenbuch consists of 516 pages in a 11 x 17 inch format (Required so the original mechanical and electrical schematics are viewable).

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 19 Jun , 2019, 20:36 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #4027 on: 19 Jun , 2019, 15:43 »

It's Winter season down under in New Zealand, so I guess Simon is busy at work studying avalanches and working on his advanced degree!

My winter work almost started as soon as I got back from my trip from visiting U-505 and U-995. Now into my three year of full-time work and research into snow and avalanches. I found it hard to do the same amount of U-boat research I did when I only worked for 6 months of the year. And I am planning to be busy for the next few years with a new laser scanner we purchase this summer at work. With this laser scanner we can scan the snow surface up to 6 km away, to 15 mm precisely, 300,000 times per minute. Would have love it while visiting U-995  ;D

I am still going through all the data and photos I collected while at U-995 and slowly improving the accurate of my model. I am hoping to make so big improvement to the casting and pressure hull this coming summer.

I never confirm the actual layout of the bedplate, but I believe the bedplate surface was a different bit of steel plate, with the bedplate supports angle down at 25 degs to the pressure hull.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4028 on: 22 Jun , 2019, 13:25 »

Don - Thanks for the confirmation on the Refrig. Comp/Cond unit. I've been trying to nail that one down for quite some time!

Tore - And thanks to you for the clutch info. I had never seen that actuator arm before and wasn't quite sure that what I was looking at on the other modeler post. Definitely a needed detail in the foreground of the model.

Offline Katuna

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4029 on: 28 Jun , 2019, 15:57 »
Tore - Can you translate these telegraph labels. I'm going through several pages of data on U-Historia and translating several pages of info but my Google Translate Can't seem to figure most of this one out. No doubt the abbreviated words are tripping it up. Thanks.

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4030 on: 28 Jun , 2019, 19:45 »
FYI
U-Historia has a fantastic German Uboat glossary with abbreviations and slang.
Might be helpful but I'm sure Mr Tore will know these well.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4031 on: 28 Jun , 2019, 23:26 »
Hello Forum Moderator...

When I enter a word with an Umlaut the letted is not displayed and everything after it is gone? I can preview it OK???

Regards,
Don
i.e. = Zur
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #4032 on: 29 Jun , 2019, 00:06 »
Tore - Can you translate these telegraph labels. I'm going through several pages of data on U-Historia and translating several pages of info but my Google Translate Can't seem to figure most of this one out. No doubt the abbreviated words are tripping it up. Thanks.

There are several execution of the engineroom telegraph. This is one of the most common. When it says both engines 10less it means 10 less revs.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #4033 on: 29 Jun , 2019, 04:01 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

"Beide Maschinen 10 Weniger" - Does that apply to both Diesel and E-Motor? The word Maschinen seems to indicate E-Motor and not Diesel...

Was Emergency Speed (2 x AK) Diesels and E-Motors 480 rpm, 4/5 speed (2 x GF) Diesel 460 rpm, and 3/5 speed (2 x HF) Diesel 390 rpm audible orders only?

Were there many reasons for the reverse higher speeds when surfaced or submerged?

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #4034 on: 29 Jun , 2019, 08:40 »
The word "Maschinen" perfectly fits for the Diesel engines too.