Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576249 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3435 on: 07 Feb , 2017, 02:05 »
Simon.
My guestimate would be 600mm x 450mm.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3436 on: 07 Feb , 2017, 17:19 »
Simon.
My guestimate would be 600mm x 450mm.
Tore

Thanks, Tore.

This could be very close was there only about 555 mm between the frames.

Is could be the opening (forward Pressure Hull section)
« Last Edit: 08 Feb , 2017, 00:37 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3437 on: 08 Feb , 2017, 00:37 »
Interior framing for the MBT 3

This images has been resized. Click to view original image.

This images has been resized. Click to view original image.

Offline karel

• Ensign
« Reply #3438 on: 08 Feb , 2017, 02:58 »
@Simon.Your work is amazing, i understand that this takes years to be finished but storing this historically accurate information in this way is super amazing. The educational value of this will be tremendous. Also noted your feedback about my game periscope. Luckily in our case we are not building an exact historical replica since people will be playing this while wearing VR goggles. We have to make many modifications to accommodate their comfort levels and interactions.

Also i hope that it is ok to post it here. Our submarine game got featured in UploadVR. There is also a little video there. What makes me especially happy that it has even gained attention from people who were not previously interested in submarines. http://uploadvr.com/atlantic-ghost-submarine/

@Don Prince
I was thinking about your Skizzenbuch situation. It is not much but i can offer to recreate a virtual prop version of your book and place it inside the sub. It would fit into game narrative since our main protagonist is not part of uboat crew and has a valid reason for owning that book. I know that it is far from having it out in real life but who knows, maybe in future it will prove as an useful item for "marketing purposes" if you do find a solution to your publishing problem.

Karel
« Last Edit: 08 Feb , 2017, 03:02 by karel »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3439 on: 08 Feb , 2017, 06:37 »
Simon.
I guess you got the idea
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3440 on: 08 Feb , 2017, 11:32 »
@Simon.Your work is amazing, i understand that this takes years to be finished but storing this historically accurate information in this way is super amazing. The educational value of this will be tremendous. Also noted your feedback about my game periscope. Luckily in our case we are not building an exact historical replica since people will be playing this while wearing VR goggles. We have to make many modifications to accommodate their comfort levels and interactions.

Karel, how many poly can you push through the VR gear?

My model is now around 8 million poly ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3441 on: 08 Feb , 2017, 18:52 »
The bulkhead between Reg tank 2 and Neg Buoy tank. How did they curve the bulkhead?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3442 on: 09 Feb , 2017, 00:18 »

Simon.
I don`t think it is only the bulkhead between regulating tanks 2 and the neg. buoyancy (Q)tank which is curved. In fact regulating/ fuel tank 1, regulating tanks 2 and the Q tank have all curved bulkheads as they are pressureproof. As the differential pressures between these tanks might vary considerably depending on their independent operation, the separation bulkheads have to be curved to resist the pressuredifferential. In spite of that, the regulating tanks have differential manometers indicating the differential pressure enabling a monitoring that the max differential pressures are not exceeding the max. allowable values.
Tore
« Last Edit: 09 Feb , 2017, 00:50 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3443 on: 09 Feb , 2017, 00:32 »

Simon.
I don`t think it is only the bulkhead between regulating tanks 2 and the neg. buoyancy (Q)tank which is curved. In fact regulating/ fuel tank 1, regulating tanks 2 and the Q tank have all curved bulkheads as they are pressureproof. As the differential pressures between these tanks might vary considerably depending on their independent operation, the separation bulkheads have to be curved to resist the pressuredifferential. In spite of that, the tanks have differential manometers indicating the differential pressure enabling a monitoring that the max differential pressures are not exceeding the max. allowable values.
Tore

Thanks, Tore.

Just finish the other side of the Q tank, next the regulating/ fuel tank bulkhead 1  :)  It take me a while to model each frame within the saddle tank as each one is totaly different :(

One thing that is worrying, on the plan you used there are three (4 four in total) additional supports that run horizontally that look ā€˜Cā€™ shape from above. However on the more detailed plans there is only one of these horizontal spar :o

You might find it interesting, the thickness of the steel for each bulkhead is 13 mm.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3444 on: 09 Feb , 2017, 01:21 »
Hi Simon,

Only one "C" shaped support seems to make sense... The steel plate thickness of the exterior metal plating is 11.5 mm for R1, R2, and Q Tank (.45 inch). If the internal longitudinal supports, and the internal bulkheads were the same thickness as the outer plating, then all would have to be formed at a steel pressing plant and be assembles/welded together on site.

The saddle tanks FTB2 and FTB4 were 6 mm thick (.23 inch) for the outer shell. 

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 09 Feb , 2017, 01:23 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3445 on: 09 Feb , 2017, 01:28 »
Simon.
A possible better image of the extra strengthening of the regulating/fueltank 1 and regulating tank 2 bulkheads belows shows there are only one bulkhead strengthening on each of the reguator/ fuel tank 1 and regulatore tank 2, hence in total of only three bulkheads. I guess these bulkheads were susceptible to damages hence extra strengthening. As far as I remember (vaguely) U 926 ( Our KNM Kya) had some signs of damage in this area.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3446 on: 09 Feb , 2017, 01:39 »
Hi Simon,

One image shows the air shaft and the other image shows a different cutout of the ribs ((I guess for RFO 4).

Don_
« Last Edit: 09 Feb , 2017, 02:00 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3447 on: 10 Feb , 2017, 22:05 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I have a question about the Lubricating oil flow for either the GW or MANN engines?

On each side valve e1 selects the oil return tank port or Starboard, but the port diesel engine's oil pump only draws oil from the port side and it's the same for the starboard pump and diesel engine on the starboard side. I don't understand the reasoning behind this setup.  You could drain one tank and overflow the other tank with a non selective source and a selective return???

Also, I see no means to get the dirty oil into the dirty oil tank?

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 10 Feb , 2017, 22:20 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3448 on: 11 Feb , 2017, 02:59 »

Don.
The return of the lubeoil can be selected to either of the luboil system tanks (port or starboard). In the case of contamination, mostly seawater, you are able to isolate and clean the contaminated oil. This system is based on a lubeoil sentrifuge cleaning system which was removed on the later VIICs. However you are  able to draw lubeoil from either of the system tanks by using the fueltransfer pump as a spare lubeoilpump as indicated on my image below.
The original sentrifuge system  had two pumps, one for dirty lubeoil from the  system tanks to the sentrifuge and one for supply of clean oil from the sentrifuge to the systemtanks. On the later arrangement the sentrifuge installation was removed and a larger filter installed in the system eleminating the sentrifuges and pumps, I don`t have a systemsketch of the latter system. On the aft engineroom bulkhead is  a handpump which enables emptying the contaminated oil from either of the systemtanks including dirty oiltank to overboard.
Tore
« Last Edit: 11 Feb , 2017, 04:20 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3449 on: 11 Feb , 2017, 16:34 »
Tore, Don, & Maciek.

Q. Would there be a wire mesh over the opening for the MB3 valve? (I just noted there a dotted line above the opening of the MB & RTO Tank, which has a wire mesh over the opening. There no dotted line above the opening MB3 valve :-\) http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-570Plate28.htm

Q. Was there a gasket on the venting valves, or just metal on metal?
« Last Edit: 11 Feb , 2017, 16:56 by NZSnowman »