Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576318 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3180 on: 22 Oct , 2016, 12:33 »
Simon.
I can`t remember the exact details, but below is an image of KNM Kaura 1953 showing some details of the wooden casingdeck hatches may be i can be of some help.
Tore

There seen to be a huge variation in deck hatches layout between the boats. I will use the normal layout for U-1308.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3181 on: 28 Oct , 2016, 00:11 »
Hi Maciek

Damaged Armature and the use of Field Sw-I and Field Sw-II

Skizzenbuck page 398

Would this be accurate?

"The motor on the left is disabled mechanically by uncoupling the direction switch control with field switch I (off position). Two switch commons will be in an open position, while a resistor is used to discharge the shunt windings from MI by a third set of contacts (upper). With this failed condition, the motor on the right MII may only be run in the parallel configuration.  However, the thing to remember is both e-motor armatures are housed in the one motor casing and pinned to the same armature drive shaft; one armature is powering the common drive shaft while the damaged armature is free spinning.

Do you know if the direction switch had to be in off position in order to uncouple MI or MII with field switch I or field switch II when an armature was damaged.

The older switchboard they could uncouple the switch blade actuators in any position.  However, I'm not sure what they had to do to the wiring for the armature induced current in the shunt windings???

Regards,
Don_

PS - I personally went into the Comcast email and disabled their spam filter, so my Comcast e-mail account should pass any email to my home MS Outlook e-mail account on my system.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct , 2016, 00:51 by Don Prince »
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #3182 on: 01 Nov , 2016, 13:23 »

Hi Don,

Would this be accurate?

"The motor on the left is disabled mechanically by uncoupling the direction switch control with field switch I (off position). Two switch commons will be in an open position, while a resistor is used to discharge the shunt windings from MI by a third set of contacts (upper). With this failed condition, the motor on the right MII may only be run in the parallel configuration.  However, the thing to remember is both e-motor armatures are housed in the one motor casing and pinned to the same armature drive shaft; one armature is powering the common drive shaft while the damaged armature is free spinning.

It is ok and accurate. I only wonder if phrase "disabled mechanically" does not suggest that the half of the double-armature motor is mechanically locked.

Do you know if the direction switch had to be in off position in order to uncouple MI or MII with field switch I or field switch II when an armature was damaged.

Well, I'm sure that direction switch should be in off position. However I do not know if direction switch is interlocked somehow with field switches or it is the operator responsibility to switch them while in correct positions.

I rather think that Germans interlocked them in such way that the field switch could be toggled only when direction switch is off. In other case, it could be fatal, when while running both armatures, the field switch was toggled accidentally.

The older switchboard they could uncouple the switch blade actuators in any position.  However, I'm not sure what they had to do to the wiring for the armature induced current in the shunt windings???

I have to think about this.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3183 on: 01 Nov , 2016, 14:27 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

Thank you for the info about the Field Switches...  I have been working on a re-write of several sections of Skizzenbuch (text, photos and drawings), and I still need to verify the text on my 3rd section (I'm about 70% done); there are 5 Word/PDF sections to Skizzenbuch.  However, I have re-compiled the DPF files into one document and uploaded what will be presented to my managing editor on December 1st to dropbox. Possibly one more re-compile before Dec 1, if any of the text in section 3 needs to be changed, or if I get any suggestions form you all.  I think this process has improved the final product and I took Jak Showell's suggestion and verified all the German text and found several spelling errors on my part.

The latest version "Skizzenbuch 11 x 17 - M + Index.pdf" is available in dropbox...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3184 on: 02 Nov , 2016, 02:32 »

Hi Don,

I have been analyzing the schematic of the lever switchboard and in my opinion, the Feldschalters in this older type of switchboard do not have the same function as in the rotary type switchboard (i.e. disconnecting field winding while respective armature is damaged).

When I gather my comments and make some sketches, I will post them here.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3185 on: 02 Nov , 2016, 07:13 »

Don.
I have started to look through your latest Skizzenbuch and have some comments to your page 28 plate 6. You have added the english text for the icon of a sea boardvalve as used in the translation from german to english. I guess this might be a bit general for an important valve. The valve a is the main seaboard inletvalve for the trim/regulating and evaporator systems having the standard LPairconnection for seaweed blowing and a branch of to the evaporator valve, a 1, as well as a connection to the finefilling valve, a 1, for the regulating- and trimtanks as can be seen on my image below.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Nov , 2016, 07:32 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3186 on: 02 Nov , 2016, 15:18 »
Hello Maciek,

Page 380 - there looks to be a lock-slide between the Sw1 and Sw2 Direction Switch Assembly. Also, I have attached a photo of the Type IX switch panel where this is visiable...

Mr. Tore, I need time to look at your comments...

I completed the review of section 3 and re-complied and uploaded the latest to dropbox...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3187 on: 02 Nov , 2016, 16:36 »

Hi Don

Page 380 - there looks to be a lock-slide between the Sw1 and Sw2 Direction Switch Assembly. Also, I have attached a photo of the Type IX switch panel where this is visiable

Could you please mark this lock-slide on both drawings? (you can send them to me by email)

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3188 on: 02 Nov , 2016, 20:55 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I added the info you provided on page 31...  Re-compiled the book and placed the updated version in dropbox.

Thank you,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3189 on: 03 Nov , 2016, 01:57 »

Hi Don,

ok, now I know what you mean. Yes, this lock-slide was used to couple direction switches of each armature together, so when the E-Motor was klar, both armatures were powered in the same way. When one armature was damaged, the lock-slide was removed, respective switch was set in the Aus (middle) position, and the other switch could be operated independently.

However, this lock-slide was not coupled with Feldschalters, and I think that these Feldschalters were used during normal operation (not in case of damaged armature). I will post more details soon.

--
Regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3190 on: 03 Nov , 2016, 03:00 »
Don.
Checked page 31 OK. Page 38 plan7. Your text on plan 7 dealing with the use of Q is a bit unclear and as you have a full description of the use on the following pages it might be an idea to ommit same and give a general description of the Q, may be something like this: The negativ buoyancy tanks stb. and port are located outside the pressurehull in the saddletanks, they are provided to reduce the divingtime. The tanks are pressureproof. Each tank is flooded by a floodvalve operated from the control room. The tanks are vented inside the boat through a common muffler and blown by HP air from the controlroom.
Tore
« Last Edit: 03 Nov , 2016, 03:04 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3191 on: 03 Nov , 2016, 13:55 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

I made the changes to page 39, page 38 has the discussion about the Manual No. 381 (Tauchvorschrift).  I also corrected a spacing problem on page 52  -  4.700m3 to 4.700 m3 - Note, I didn't use the sup option to raise the 3 (cubic) because I can't seem to get out of that option when once in...

I uploaded the updated Skizzenbuch into dropbox...

Regards,
Don_

« Last Edit: 03 Nov , 2016, 14:03 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3192 on: 04 Nov , 2016, 22:39 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

Maciek, I took all your suggestions with reference to the G7e torpedo heating and charging, and the info you provided about the Switchboards...

Pages - Torpedoes
283 - added text
284 added graphic and text
312 - worked on text
314 0 added a paragraph

Pages - Switchboards
Page 378 - changed item (e) Starting Contactor, and (f) Motor Circuit Breaker
Page 379 - corrected labels on drawing
Page 380 - corrected drawing, added a photo and text
Page 381 - corrected drawing added text
Page 390 - Corrected drawing added Starting Contactor and item 1
Page 391 - corrected item 1

I have a question about the photo on page 396 - the items on top of the e-motors are described as converters.  However, they do look different.  Is the description accurate?

I uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch with all of these changes into dropbox. I sure hope I haven't made a mess of things...

Regards,
Don_
« Last Edit: 05 Nov , 2016, 01:06 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3193 on: 05 Nov , 2016, 02:35 »
Page 380 is wrong!!!  I will re-post a update to Skizzenbuch tomorrow...

Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #3194 on: 05 Nov , 2016, 03:32 »

Hi Don,

I have a question about the photo on page 396 - the items on top of the e-motors are described as converters.  However, they do look different.  Is the description accurate?

Yes, it's accurate. They look different because they are different type. The converters differs one from another due to different output voltage, frequency (i.e. rotary speed), output power, number of generator windings. All these things cause that the look different.

--
Regards
Maciek