Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576705 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2610 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 06:41 »
Falo.
 Open Kingstons was normal standard during patrol. Normally open all the time when submerged, may be pending circumstances in wartime, shutting the MBT 3 Kingstons during depthcharging. The gratings for the MBT 3 Kingstons on the Edward photo etchings is possibly based on a misunderstanding, assuming as the       " flutklappen" for the Qs have gratings, seen aft of the Kingstons for the saddleballast tanks 4 port and stb., the same would occur for MBT 3 Kingstons.
When I was on board and still a skinny guy I managed to crawl into MBT3 through the Kingstons and did not hit any gratings. :D
Tore
« Last Edit: 11 Apr , 2015, 06:52 by tore »

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #2611 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 08:40 »
Hi Tore,

thanks again, your professional knowledge is striking.

Regards
Falo

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2612 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 09:31 »
Tore, how many Kingstons (outwards opening) per side on a VIIB?
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 11 Apr , 2015, 09:38 by SG »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2613 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 09:53 »
SG
I believe the VIIB had 4 Kingstons on each side.
Tore

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #2614 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 12:09 »
Thanks a lot, Tore!

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2615 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 12:50 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

The original list with 14 U-Boats was:

"The formidable fleet of 15 U-Boats, U-294, -295, -312, -313, -363, -427, -481, -668, -716, -968, -997, -1165, -278, and -992 sailed on May 16th 1945 southwards bound."

Then your answer was:

"Indeed, so I had to check the list once more and found that U-318 is missing. In addition to this list the convoys included Grille, Hitlers former yacht, Huscarean a submarine depot ship,  Kamerun a minelayer, Stella Polaris an ex. Norwegian passengervessel and a naval tanker Kaernten. Only the Uboats continued to Loch Eriboll, the other ships continued to Trondheim. U315 CO. Zoller and U 318 CO. Will wanted to go on fighting instead of obeying order from Captain U/B northern waters, Reinhard Suhren. However upon a repeated order from Suhren they gave up. "

In the original list of 14 U-Boats, neither U-315 Zoller's U-Boat or U-318 Will's U-Boat is included.  That's my point of confusion.  If I add U-315, and U-318 to the list, then my list has 16 U-Boats.

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2616 on: 11 Apr , 2015, 14:46 »
Don.
U 315 was not amongst the Uboats in Narvik she was already in Trondheim unfit for sea,but the CO. Zoller wanted to continue fighting, my mistake, so we leave him out. The fact is: on May 8th. 1945 following Uboats were in port at Narvik : U-294, U 295, U-312, U-313, U-363, U- 427,  U- 481, U-668, U-716, U 968, U-997 and U-1165, being 12. In the morning May 9th. following Uboats arrived: U 278, U-318 and U-992 making a total of 15. Of these 15,  CO Will on U 318 wanted to continue fighting, but was ordered by Captain Suhrer to surrender and thus the convoy of the 15 uboats mentioned above plus the previously mentioned vessels sailed from Narvik May 16th. bound for Trondheim, but the U-boats were later redirected to Loch Eriboll, Scotland, the other vessels continued to Trondheim. U 315 and Zoller remained in Trondheim. I hope we got it right by now. ;D
Tore
« Last Edit: 11 Apr , 2015, 14:48 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2617 on: 13 Apr , 2015, 00:27 »
Hello Mr. Tore and Maciek,

I updated Skizzenbuch with RADAR and GSR info and I corrected the info about the relocation of 15 U-Boats at the end of WWII.  While searching the internet, I found that I did NOT have a correct photo of Buchheim, or the correct information...WOW what a screw up that would have been!  I believe I have the correct info and photo.  The younger Buchheim does resemble the older Buchheim...

I uploaded the latest version of Skizzenbuch to dropbox, all 457 pages...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2618 on: 13 Apr , 2015, 05:51 »
Don.
As far as the 15 uboats concerns your corrections seems OK.
Tore

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2619 on: 13 Apr , 2015, 16:06 »

I received an email this morning from Schiffer Publishing stating that they will be sending me a contract for:

"Skizzenbuch: Type VII C U-Boat Design and Functionality"

This afternoon my stomach still has "Butterflies" form the news.  I guess I was always expecting a rejection and this has not set in as of yet.  However, I have you and Maciek to thank for all your help with the book, and I will ask another favor.  Please take a close look at Skizzenbuch and if anything looks wrong or questionable, then please advise me of such.

Kind Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2620 on: 13 Apr , 2015, 22:53 »

I just finished updating the GSR pages in Skizzenbuch and uploaded something like the Final version pending corrections to dropbox for your approval...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2621 on: 13 Apr , 2015, 23:49 »
Don.
Congratulation!
 As the book contains today 457 pages it would take some time to check the whole book and may be the publisher would have a saying as well. I shall revert as time permits with possible remarks as I start checking the details whithin my knowledge.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2622 on: 14 Apr , 2015, 01:21 »
Hydroplanes.
The most common visible mistakes made by modelbuilders can be noticed on the hydroplanes, as the building kits as well as many GA drawings contains the same mistakes. On most of the GA drawings the hydroplane shafts are indicated as a shaft centerline going through the hydroplane guard as an outer support for the plane. The plane is made of welded steelplating filled with impregnated wood and the plane shaft ends about half way into the planes where a fixing nut is situated. The access is via a small bolted cover. On the aft hydroplanes it is a shut connection between the guard and the plane by a small stubshaft which has a small nut outside the guard, this is not a support, but a guard to prevent ropes or wires to come in between the plane and guard. Once we had an incident up north of Scotland during a night anchoring near Scapa Flow. When rising the anchor in the morning we discovered that the anchorchain had stuck between the guard and the forward hydroplane. No 1 had to dive in the cold water using his longjohns as wetsuit to release the chain. On that occasion it would have been handy to have a shut opening between the guard and the forward hydroplanes as well.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr , 2015, 01:28 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2623 on: 14 Apr , 2015, 06:32 »
Don.
Skizzenbuch. I have read the page 1-31 of the buch and recommend to change on page 31 last sentence on the main drainpump starting with " when draining from the forward  and aft.... by the following:  "The pump has a capacity of 1300 l/ min against up to 15 meters head in parallel, single stage mode and up to 500 l/min against a head of up to 100m in series, two stage mode." You can of course maintain the pretty obvious comments on the suction resistance, which in addition to the pipelength is depending upon the valves and filters in the system.
Tore   

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #2624 on: 14 Apr , 2015, 10:28 »
Tore, thats a great clarification! I had always thought that there was a connection between the forward hydroplanes and their guards.
Outstanding, Tore, as usual!

PS. warm blankets and a hot cup of joe for n.1 after his exploit in the freezing water?