Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576611 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #2190 on: 04 Oct , 2014, 22:05 »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your effort...  By the way, I have Rossler's book in English (only a single thick book with small print size), and the drawings are bound in the back of the book and take 2 pages.  However, there are only 12 schematic.

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2191 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 01:33 »
Don.
I checked to days Skizzenbuch on the Schnorchel which as far as the airpipe goes is OK.
 I am not sure of your description on the homing of the Schnorchel though. The U 995 has many modification from the original and the schnorchel is a major one. The mast air valve is a hingefloat, original is a ringfloat, the schnorchel lockingpin drive rod from the control room is removed, the raising and lowering system is partly removed just to mention a few items. The schnorchel installation make use of the existing hydraulic system with a branch off and shutting valves from the periscope pipes. The mast is secured in a downright position by a locking clamp operated from inside the pressurehull portside up near the CO cabin. Likewise the mast is secured in the homing guide at the towercasing. This lockingpin is operated by a wheel connected to rods from the controlroom port side up. The transmissionrod have different positions at the various boats, some goes inside the towercasing, some partly inside or in an outside protector casing but all rodversions  protrude outside the casing at the spraydeflector  before they are engaging the locking device. I have tried to incorporate most of this in the image below the schematic sketches made by me are my assumptions which might deviate from the real design.
Tore
« Last Edit: 05 Oct , 2014, 02:59 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2192 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 02:09 »
Mark and Don.
Atlantic bow. Simon has done some research on this and his conclusion is that the Atlantic bow start to raise at frame 104 and reach the full height at frame 111. The anchorbay is located between frame 103 and 106 so I don`t believe this has a significant visual effect on the position of the anchorbay in relation to the casingdeck.
Tore

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
    • WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
« Reply #2193 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 03:33 »
Somehow the whole anchor bay went to the wrong position and it is a bit smaller than the original. No idea how that could happen.
Tore is Mr. Eagle-Eye.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2194 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 04:35 »
Mark.
This seems to be much better. The anchor bay was not a problem only to you, Revell put it quite a bit too far aft on their 1:72 buildingkit for VIIC/41 ;D
Tore

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2195 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 07:41 »
fixed?

upper = repaired, lower = before

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2196 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 08:01 »
Mark.
Excellent. I like your two bow floodgates in the waterline on the starboard side and hope you have 3 on the port.
Tore
« Last Edit: 05 Oct , 2014, 08:05 by tore »

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2197 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 08:11 »
unfortunately not  :(  the smaller holes are just painted and the texture is identical on both sides. I can try to add a 3rd one when the model is finalized.

I've also fixed the painting of the anchor bay to fit to the water line - I guess this is correct?

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2198 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 08:38 »
Ok, I've made those holes real ones and added a 3rd one on the other sideā€¦

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2199 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 08:51 »
Mark.
Very good. May be the flood gates are a bit low in relation to the anchorbay and waterline. They are a few cm above the waterline of a VIIC/41 anyhow as can be seen on my image below.
Tore

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2200 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 09:51 »
I think this is because of the atlantic bow - or different height of the painting of the water line?

Many WWII pictures and some models shows the holes below the waterline.

[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2201 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 11:36 »
mark.
Absolutely correct. I guess however one thing is fixed, the freeflood gates are the gates for the bow bouancy tank and as such they have to be right above the tankfloors, see my image below.
Tore

Offline VIC20

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2202 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 12:30 »
Looks like it needs to be a little deeper then

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2203 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 14:32 »
Mark-
Hold on! Something was not correct as the buoyancy tank does not go all the way to the bow,  it is  a forepeak in between of which I believe the floodgates relates. To me it seems that the two floodgates would be situated at  the level of the rounded fore lower corner of the anchor bay about where my yellow line is drawn on my sketch below. Sorry about that :-\ .
Tore
« Last Edit: 06 Oct , 2014, 01:31 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #2204 on: 05 Oct , 2014, 23:43 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

Thank you for the information about the Schnorchel locking mechanism.  I updated Skizzenbuch with that and the info about the location of the exhaust line and shutoff valve above the deck casing.  The latest Skizzenbuch was uploaded to dropbox...

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD