Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576748 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1560 on: 18 Oct , 2013, 14:55 »
Simon.
I guess this shall work  OK.
Tore

I started to more the piping for the Port and Starboard MB & RFO Tank 2 but the Blowing System for MB & RFO Tank 2 valves is in the way :-[

So, I will keep them in there original and just realign the piping a little :)

Below you can see why there no room with the small Blowing System for MB & RFO Tank 2 valve deck hatch.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1561 on: 18 Oct , 2013, 15:46 »
Tore,

New layout and I have added the missing piping for the Fuel Oil Compensating System.

On plate 10, the forward pipe from the tank, is it open to the sea?

The aft pipe from the tank, where does it go? Does it goto the muffler? Valve 'E' open to the sea?

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate10.htm

New layout  :)

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1562 on: 19 Oct , 2013, 00:41 »
Simon.
Your new layout seems OK to me. I guess you have studied the space for the crossover up front of the conningtower there are a lot of stuff there.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1563 on: 23 Oct , 2013, 20:52 »
Simon.
The forward pipe of the headertank is the outletpipe open to the sea. The aft pipe is the supplypipe from the exhaustcooling coming from the aft end of the silencer. Valve "e" is the draincock/valve of the exhaustpipe going to overboard.
Tore

Tore, would the line going to the silencer look something like this?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1564 on: 24 Oct , 2013, 07:03 »
Simon.
I am not sure the connection to the silencer is OK. If you look at the sketch below it could be a bit more forward not to interfere with the drains.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1565 on: 24 Oct , 2013, 12:25 »
Simon.
I am not sure the connection to the silencer is OK. If you look at the sketch below it could be a bit more forward not to interfere with the drains.
Tore

Just checking a few things:
    Drain for the cooling water
    • Is found under the silencer?
    • Around 40 mm size pipe?
    • Does it drain the sea water inside the silencer?

Drains for the exhaust side
      • Are found on the side or top of silencer?
      • Why two drains?
      • Around 40 mm size pipe?
      • Does it drain the water around the silencer?

The pipe between the silencer and valve P is found on the under side?
      What are the two arrows are the very aft end of the silencer?

Offline tore

• Tore
      « Reply #1566 on: 24 Oct , 2013, 14:55 »
      Simon.
      Good question which made me check with the system for the Man engine. There is a difference on plate 13 (GW engines) and 13A ( MAN engines). I can`t see there is any reason for having a difference on that particular part of the system. Plate 13 GW engines, mention "o" as water drainvalves (German: entwasseren) for exhausts side (German gasraum abgassammelltg.) plate 13A (MAN) names these valves as "p" waterdrain coolingwater space silencer (German: entwassern kuhlraum) there is no reason why these two valves are different. In spite of the plates tells otherwise I would suggest the two cocks on "o"are coolingwater vent cocks  placed on the top of the silencer, cock "n" is cooling waterdrain placed on the bottom lower part of the silencer. I should say two cocks make the venting a bit more efficient. 40 mm pipes seem OK. The drain empties the coolingwater space around the silencer. The two arrows at the very far end could be for possible pressure equalising when submerged.
      Tore
      « Last Edit: 29 Oct , 2013, 13:51 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
      • U-1308
        • U-1308 - Wikipedia
      « Reply #1567 on: 24 Oct , 2013, 15:21 »
      The two arrows at the very far end could be for possible pressure equalising when submerged.

So they would be just open holes in the silencer or a very short sections of pipes fix to the silencer?

Offline tore

• Tore
      « Reply #1568 on: 25 Oct , 2013, 00:19 »
      Simon.
      I guess unless we get other infos we asssume short pipes. If you look at plate 13 A and B you shall see these venting openings are drawn as coming from the exhaust side whereas on the plate 13 (GW engines) they are drawn from the coolingwaterspace. I should assume the latter is wrong and that the openings are acting more like the floodholes allowing the trapped exhaustgases to  escape.
      Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
      « Reply #1569 on: 25 Oct , 2013, 00:32 »
      Simon.
      May be I should mention valve "e" on plate 10 which is a waterdrain for the compensating water supply line. As this line ends up halfway in the compensating water tank, the tank would not be emptied through this valve, hence a separate drain as indicated, however you got to have a valve which is not shown in this drain.
      Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
      « Reply #1570 on: 25 Oct , 2013, 03:02 »
      Simon.
      Why all these elaborate exhaustgas ventings? If you consider the whole external exhaust system it represent a large volume. It certainly makes a big difference in weight (trim) if it is filled with gas or seawater. A possible trapped exhaustgas would upset the trim when diving hence I believe it would be necessary to have a proper venting of the exhaustgases to ensure all the gases escapes. If these ventings are not shut on the surface diesel propulsion you shall have of course exhaustgases escaping out of the vents.
      « Last Edit: 25 Oct , 2013, 09:25 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
      « Reply #1571 on: 25 Oct , 2013, 09:57 »
      Simon.
      I have checked a bit further on the venting of the exhaustgas silencer and silencer valve. On the "O" class RN submarines they have a similar arrangement with no valves shown. So I  assume there are no valves in the venting and moderate amount of exhaustgases would escape possibly right above the silencer under the casing for both components.
      Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
      « Reply #1572 on: 11 Dec , 2013, 05:06 »
       The Forum is back, very much appreciated. However it seems that about 12 pages and in excess of 150 posts have been lost in the crash, I guess it is not possible to retrieve the posts but I have of course the drawings if anybody are interested.
      Tore

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
      • Submarine Enthusiast
        • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
      « Reply #1573 on: 13 Dec , 2013, 16:34 »
      Tore, they exist but in a file that is "poison". It's not impossible to restore them, but difficult. The restoration just to this has cost us $$$, so I don't know if we'll be able to get them safely, but they are technically not lost! Apologies.
      AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline tore

• Tore
      « Reply #1574 on: 13 Dec , 2013, 23:30 »
      Thanks Wink. It is of course not worth the Money and risk to retrieve the posts. The basic materiel is available in my files. If anybody misses the last month posts let me know.
      Tore