Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576245 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1440 on: 20 Apr , 2013, 06:03 »
Simon.
I shall eventually change my KNM Kaura model. I don`t think the style 6 was introduced in Trondheim. I am busy checking the exhaustoutlet on U- 1202 which looks as if  she had the style 6.
Tore
« Last Edit: 20 Apr , 2013, 23:46 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1441 on: 20 Apr , 2013, 06:52 »
Simon.
Style 6 exhaustoutlet.
After checking the photo materials in my files I have found a fairly reliable evidence that U-1202 was equipped with the style 6 outlet as well. As you see on the photo below of KNM Kinn (ex U-1202) the casing was painted black from the waterline and a bit up, strongly indicating that the exhaustoutlet is submerged on that spot. Further the outlet is placed a bit abaft of the conventional above surface outlet. I assume the sparkarrestor was kept unchanged and the outletpipe from the sparkarrestor led a bit abaft in the narrow submerged space between the pressurehull and casing.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1442 on: 27 Apr , 2013, 01:24 »
Simon.
I have enjoyed studying you amazing latest drawing of the main engines. As mentioned to you, I have some minor remarks knowing your are keen on details. ;)
It looks as if you have made the nameplates at the maneuvering stand of brass, they are of aluminium. See photo.
The inlet and exhaust valvestems have a lockingwire on the valve clearance nut. See photo.
The lever for the supercharger clutch/natural aspiration rotating inletvalves is missing. See photo.
The handle for the main starting airwheel is missing. See photo.
The counter for the revolutions on top of the lube oilpump is, as far as I can see, missing. See photo.
As said these are minor details probably known to you and may be you have decided to omit same. ;D
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1443 on: 27 Apr , 2013, 13:57 »
Simon.
I have enjoyed studying you amazing latest drawing of the main engines. As mentioned to you, I have some minor remarks knowing your are keen on details. ;)
It looks as if you have made the nameplates at the maneuvering stand of brass, they are of aluminium. See photo. - FIX
The inlet and exhaust valvestems have a lockingwire on the valve clearance nut. See photo. - I decide to ignore this wire this at this stage, it

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1444 on: 28 Apr , 2013, 23:31 »
Rudiment of direct reversing.
As previously discussed the later main dieselengines of the VIIC and VIIC/41s were not equipped with a direct reversible device. These U-boats maneuvered by the E-motors as the common practise for submarines. Hence the vertical reversing cylinder and a few other items were not installed, however a few reversing parts remained and amongst these the name plate and the supportstand for the reversing handle. Below is a photo of this item which Simon correctly has incorporated in his drawing. :D
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1445 on: 29 Apr , 2013, 18:54 »
Hi Tore

I am wondering about the flooring in the galley.

Can you remember or know if the flooring in the galley was make up of numerous smaller plates like the engine room or one or two large plates? Do you need access to piping under the galley?

Thanks, Simon.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1446 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 00:44 »
Simon.
I guess there are about six access covers, may be one or two are in the batteryswitch compartment. Access would be needed as follows:
1. Sounding pipe for freshwater tank.
2. Sounding pipe for dirtywater tank.
3. Two valves for Limeconnection battery compartment
4. Two valves for natural galleybilge drain to engineroom.
Se pictures below.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1447 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 00:54 »
Simon.
Sorry somehow the galley drainpipes came up twice. Here is the missing soundingpipes.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1448 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 01:33 »
Simon.
I guess there are about six access covers, may be one or two are in the batteryswitch compartment. Access would be needed as follows:
1. Sounding pipe for freshwater tank.
2. Sounding pipe for dirtywater tank.
3. Two valves for Limeconnection battery compartment
4. Two valves for natural galleybilge drain to engineroom.
Se pictures below.
Tore

I read somewhere that the Lime system got a complete redesign for the late war Type VIIC's.

I think will do similar size floor plates as the engine room

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1449 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 01:42 »
Simon.
I guess you are right, we never made use of the limesystem. May be you should make the sounding openings as in the engineroom.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1450 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 01:44 »
Here a rare photo of the original German floor plate. Its look like the plates are about the same size as the engine room with smaller access hatches.

I imagine the pipe on the right is the sounding for the waste water?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1451 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 01:52 »
Simon.
I guess you are right, we never made use of the limesystem. May be you should make the sounding openings as in the engineroom.
Tore

I can not remember which book is was in, perhaps in The U-Boat: The Evolution and Technical History of German Submarines, but it said that the German move the outflow lines of the lime system below the batteries previously the lines run above the batteries.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1452 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 01:55 »
Simon.
The location for the pipe is rigth for the waste water tank, so it could be.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1453 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 02:06 »
Tore, I was looking Plate 21:  Fresh water, wash water, waste and sanitary systems http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate21.htm

I imagine they remove the hot water pipe between the Galley and Officers Quarters which run under the wooden deck, on the late war Type VIIC's?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1454 on: 30 Apr , 2013, 02:17 »
Tore, I was just wondering did you ever changes the batteries on KNM Kaura or are they original German batteries?