Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576412 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1425 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 14:06 »
Simon.
Have you counted the 55.000 objects?? :o  I wonder how many the final result shall be at the end, however its not the amount of objects but how they are put together which is important, after all the thing has to work and I am sure it will in the end ;D .
Tore

In the main drawing of U-1308 there a total of 190,000 objects ;D

I been looking at some more photo's that perhaps show that each vent pipe from the upper cooling water bend has it own drain line. Base on the size of the pipe I can see coming out of the 1st photo of the upper cooling water bend and the photo below I can see two pipe of a similar size running to the funnel.

Tore, that do you thing?

« Last Edit: 01 Apr , 2013, 14:08 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1426 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 14:54 »
Simon.
The pipe sketch shows two separate vent pipes to the funnel, but has not any exhaust manifold centerflange with cooling waterbend.The shipyard drawing shows a centerflange with vent connection nut and no pipe, but the two aft flanges have ventpipes on the upper cw.bends  merging into a common pipe. To me it seems strange that the center flange bend do not have a ventpipe. If we assume the  center flange coolingwater bend has a separate ventpipe and the two aft bend have vent pipes merging into one you end up with two ventpipes in the funnel. I would not be able to explain why.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1427 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 15:09 »
Simon.
The pipe sketch shows two separate vent pipes to the funnel, but has not any exhaust manifold centerflange with cooling waterbend.The shipyard drawing shows a centerflange with vent connection nut and no pipe, but the two aft flanges have ventpipes on the upper cw.bends  merging into a common pipe. To me it seems strange that the center flange bend do not have a ventpipe. If we assume the  center flange coolingwater bend has a separate ventpipe and the two aft bend have vent pipes merging into one you end up with two ventpipes in the funnel. I would not be able to explain why.
Tore

Tore, could it be that the two aft bend get hotter than the centre flange consequently the two aft flange need to be vented more offend?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1428 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 23:37 »
Simon.
Coolingwaterflow and venting is a science which sometimes is not easy to understand, the basic is that air pockets obstructs the coolingwaterflow and thus the cooling. Sometimes you can have interference between the pipes when two pipes are merging. I have a possible idea which require a bit further investigation hold on till tomorrow. ;D
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1429 on: 02 Apr , 2013, 09:21 »
Simon.
Coolingwater venting.
The CW systemdrawing shows the two aft exh. flanges having separate drain with cocks to the funnel however it does not show any exh. manifold center flange or cooling water crossing bends which we  see is on the manifold. On the shipyard drawing a vent/drain pipe is going all along the engine but only the aft two flanges ventpipes are connected. The centerbend shows connection for a venting pipe but no pipe. The forward bend ( warm CW water return) shows no venting.
Your photo of the CW ventpipe is presumably from the center CW bend, and pointing downwards. As shown on the photo below the CW warmwater outlet bend forward of the manifold has a connection for ventpipe and might have a ventpipe as well.
We are not able to see any common vent pipe along the engine. On these fact we have to make our guesses.
I assume all the bends have venting, based on your finding of the two ventpipes it could be that the four bend ventings are connected in pairs and end up with two pipes and cocks in the funnel. Sorry this is the only idea I have right now.
Tore
« Last Edit: 02 Apr , 2013, 09:23 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1430 on: 02 Apr , 2013, 13:03 »
the four bend ventings are connected in pairs and end up with two pipes and cocks in the funnel...

That sound very German, have backup ;) I will update my drawing this afternoon. Thank Tore.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1431 on: 04 Apr , 2013, 13:55 »
Tore, here are the updated lines.

Scale (Full) 1 pixel = 2.25 mm/(Forum) 1 pixel = 9.9 mm
« Last Edit: 04 Apr , 2013, 13:58 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1432 on: 04 Apr , 2013, 14:09 »
Simon.
You are getting close to completion. I guess the Gruetzner lubricator drive and supercharger clutch handle shall come later. So far everything looks fine to me.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1433 on: 06 Apr , 2013, 12:07 »
Hi Tore

Just an update on the engine room drawings. I am presenting at an Avalanche Conference next month, and currently spending more time working on my presentation. So the amount of drawing I am doing is slowing down for the next few weeks.

Slowly going back to the real world  :(

Simon

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1434 on: 06 Apr , 2013, 12:53 »
Simon.
I understand your dilemma. However avalanches in countries like ours is an important topic. Right now we are in a middle of an avalanche season, the worst ever, and we have a lot of casualties this winter. My concern is however a completely different one. I am moving up to my farm for the summer season and the access to internet is limited but I`ll be there. Looking forward to your update.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1435 on: 06 Apr , 2013, 13:04 »
Just the other day I saw an article about how big the avalanche season is, for this winter, it had a great picture of a huge avalanche crossing a road.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1436 on: 06 Apr , 2013, 13:28 »
Simon.
Right now they are trying to dig out 3 persons which probably got instantly killed and  buried under 6 meters of compact snow a week ago. They have been using sound cannons and dynamite for 3 days to get safely in to this narrow valley. The snow is almost like concrete and impossible to dig by hand see photo taken today.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1437 on: 20 Apr , 2013, 02:16 »
Simon/OldNoob
Exhaust outlet.
Looking at some of my old photos to find floodgate details I came over two pictures which I shot during KNM Kauras drydocking in 1953. The pictures although of bad quality show clearly the exhaustoutlet I guess. Remembering Simons question on the style 6 exhaust let I was  astonished to see that my old U 995 seems to have style 6 execution.
Have a look at my bad photos and the photo of present day U-995 with a welded plate on the location where I presume the style 6 outlet should be.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr , 2013, 06:07 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1438 on: 20 Apr , 2013, 03:13 »
Simon/OldNoob
Exhaust outlet.
Looking at some of my old photos to find floodgate details I came over two pictures which I shot during KNM Kauras drydocking in 1953. The pictures although of bad quality show clearly the exhaustoutlet I guess. Remembering Simons question on the style 6 exhaust let I was  astonished the my old U 995 seemed to have style 6 execution.
Have a look at my bad photos and the photo of present day U-995 with a welded plate on the location where I presume the style 6 outlet should be.

Tore, this is fantastic! I original thought that U-995 have Style 6 back April 2010.
http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=280.msg5402#msg5402

But by March 2011 I was not 100% sure so I remove it from the list.
http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=280.msg9026#msg9026

It great to see my original thought was correct :)

Tore, does this mean that you will need to change you model ;)

Also an update on the engine room, it has taken me a lot longer to do my Avalanche presentation than I thought. I did my first read through last week and it turn out to be way too long. So I had to rework it a lot to make it shorter.

I will continue working on the engine room drawing before winter starts here, but there is no way I can finish it before that time :( I believe I still have about four weeks of drawing to have it totally finish. It

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1439 on: 20 Apr , 2013, 03:23 »
Simon/OldNoob
Exhaust outlet.
Looking at some of my old photos to find floodgate details I came over two pictures which I shot during KNM Kauras drydocking in 1953. The pictures although of bad quality show clearly the exhaustoutlet I guess. Remembering Simons question on the style 6 exhaust let I was  astonished the my old U 995 seemed to have style 6 execution.

Tore, I was just thinking do you think that Style 6 was added at Trondheim?