Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576766 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1410 on: 30 Mar , 2013, 13:24 »
Simon.
I guess the nuts and cocks of the 15 mm pipes are all brass. The luboil filter differential manometer has two inlets and cocks for the pipes in and out of the filter. See photo below.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1411 on: 30 Mar , 2013, 15:59 »
Simon.
Excellent!
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1412 on: 31 Mar , 2013, 12:50 »
Updated engine

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1413 on: 31 Mar , 2013, 13:50 »
Simon.
Looks very good, I have just a few minor remarks. The header collectingpipe is partly of copper, I believe it is steel all the way. The venting pipe from the cooling waterpipe crossing the exhaust manifold flanges seems to be on the large side, I believe the upper branch off are small venting pipes which  normally should not be connected to the cooling watersystem but the drainfunnel. The branchoffs from the lower coolingwater bends are drain.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1414 on: 31 Mar , 2013, 14:17 »
Simon.
Looks very good, I have just a few minor remarks. The header collectingpipe is partly of copper, I believe it is steel all the way. The venting pipe from the cooling waterpipe crossing the exhaust manifold flanges seems to be on the large side, I believe the upper branch off are small venting pipes which  normally should not be connected to the cooling watersystem but the drainfunnel. The branchoffs from the lower coolingwater bends are drain.
Tore

Tore, I will fix the header collecting pipe.

I will reduce the main venting pipe from 30 mm to 20 mm and the branch off from 30 mm to 15 mm.

I do not understand the other thing you are talking about  :( "normally should not be connected to the cooling watersystem but the drainfunnel. The branchoffs from the lower coolingwater bends are drain." Have I connect the pipes incorrectly?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1415 on: 31 Mar , 2013, 15:20 »
Simon.
Instead of connecting the exhaust manifold cooling bend ventpipe to the manifold coolingwater outlet pipe, I  guess it should end in the drainfunnel. The header cooling waterpipe might be connected to the same place as the ventpipe instead.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1416 on: 31 Mar , 2013, 16:09 »
Simon.
Instead of connecting the exhaust manifold cooling bend ventpipe to the manifold coolingwater outlet pipe, I  guess it should end in the drainfunnel. The header cooling waterpipe might be connected to the same place as the ventpipe instead.
Tore

Sorry Tore, I am totally lost that you mean. I can not workout that pipes you are talking about :(

If you have time tomorrow, could you please draw me one of your drawing, to help me understand, thanks.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1417 on: 31 Mar , 2013, 17:52 »
Exhuast Outlets update
  • Added better shading.
  • Added casting seams.
  • Added temperature sensors.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1418 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 00:43 »
Simon.
It was late yesterday I understand your confusion ;) . Below are pictures which possibly explain the system. The exhaust manifold has two types of cooling water bends crossing the flanges, upper and lower. Upper bends have a small ventingpipe, yellow, may be 20 mm. As all ventingpipes are placed on the highest point in the system and goes to a drainfunnel, you don`t introduce the air into the system again. The lower pipebends have drains on the lowest point, violet, these small pipes may be 30mm, join the header pipe,red, before they merge the main coolingoutlet of the exhaustmanifold and then eventually overboard. I have not been able to trace all details so the correction is based on common engineering.
Tore
« Last Edit: 01 Apr , 2013, 02:16 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1419 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 02:27 »
Exhuast Outlets update
  • Added better shading.
  • Added casting seams.
  • Added temperature sensors.

Simon.
You engine is growing into the real thing with all the details gradually coming up it shall definitely be impressive when all the correct details are in place.
Tore.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #1420 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 09:24 »
Simon
Your drawing skill is incredible.... Well done Sir!
Christopher

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1421 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 12:32 »
Simon.
It was late yesterday I understand your confusion ;) . Below are pictures which possibly explain the system. The exhaust manifold has two types of cooling water bends crossing the flanges, upper and lower. Upper bends have a small ventingpipe, yellow, may be 20 mm. As all ventingpipes are placed on the highest point in the system and goes to a drainfunnel, you don`t introduce the air into the system again. The lower pipebends have drains on the lowest point, violet, these small pipes may be 30mm, join the header pipe,red, before they merge the main coolingoutlet of the exhaustmanifold and then eventually overboard. I have not been able to trace all details so the correction is based on common engineering.
Tore

Thanks Tore!

I was looking at the wrong drain funnels and I have been looking at the port side of the plate 14 and I did not realise the inboard part of the exhaust Cooling-water system drawing was the venting side :-[

I noted on plate 14, that each cooling water bends crossing the flanges has it own venting pipe. Should I do the same or do you think there were all join together to a common drain valve?

I also found a rare photo of the drain line :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1422 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 13:00 »

Simon
Your drawing skill is incredible.... Well done Sir!
Christopher

Thanks Christopher.

There now over 55,000 objects in the top view of the engine room.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1423 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 13:16 »
Simon.
It is difficult to give a 3 dimensional impression on a 2 dimensional sketch. If you look at the yarddrawing side view it seems the ventpipes are merging in a common pipe to the drain, I guess the pipe ends with a common cock in the funnel as all the ventpipes-
Your picture of the ventpipe indicate that this small pipe is a copper pipe.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1424 on: 01 Apr , 2013, 13:31 »
Simon.
Have you counted the 55.000 objects?? :o  I wonder how many the final result shall be at the end, however its not the amount of objects but how they are put together which is important, after all the thing has to work and I am sure it will in the end ;D .
Tore