Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576744 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #1020 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 15:21 »
Thanks Tore. Its helping. Now only 1/2 lose :D :D

I have found all the pipes but this section in red, could it be internal part of the pump/engine?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1021 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 15:28 »
I will draw up a colour map of my piping layout today so you can double check my layout tomorrow.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1022 on: 09 Jan , 2013, 15:52 »
Here is my layout and the missing pipe I can not find :( :(

From that I can see from the drawing there are two inlets and two outlet for the CW pump ???

« Last Edit: 09 Jan , 2013, 15:55 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1023 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 01:21 »

I have found all the pipes but this section in red, could it be internal part of the pump/engine?

Simon
Part of the section could of course be intergrated in th pumps suction side, howewer we should be able to trace the valve. I`m still of the opinion that the pipe  on the previous shown exhaust manifold photo is leading down between the manifold and pressurehull and entering the suctionpipe via a valve the  somewhere down. The valve should be able to control from the floorplate hight. I`ll keep looking while it is your turn to go sleeping. :)
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1024 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 01:48 »
Here is my layout and the missing pipe I can not find :( :(

From that I can see from the drawing there are two inlets and two outlet for the CW pump ???

Simon seems to be OK.  The valve "f" is a two way valve, either shut to the cooler or to the engine supply pipe. The pipe out from the cooler has an ordinary shut off valve both are fairly close and fitted at the top of the cooler.
Tore
« Last Edit: 10 Jan , 2013, 01:50 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1025 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 08:04 »
Simon.
One leap ahead. ;D  On port side is a pipe ( yellow on the photo below) going vertically from below the exhaustmanifoldup to the top following the pressurehull all the way to starboard side where it enters the heatexchanger via a valve. I assume this must be the yellow pipe on the systemsketch below. Again I assume somewhere underneath the exhaustmanifold there would be a connection via  to the enginedrive coolingwaterpump via a valve.
Tore
« Last Edit: 10 Jan , 2013, 08:36 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1026 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 08:31 »
Simon additional photos to my last post.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1027 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 11:27 »

Simon
Part of the section could of course be intergrated in th pumps suction side, howewer we should be able to trace the valve. I`m still of the opinion that the pipe  on the previous shown exhaust manifold photo is leading down between the manifold and pressurehull and entering the suctionpipe via a valve the  somewhere down. The valve should be able to control from the floorplate hight. I`ll keep looking while it is your turn to go sleeping. :)
Tore

Tore, were you able to find valve 'f'?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1028 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 11:52 »
Simon.
I have not found any valve on that part of the pipeline.May be it is intergrated in the pumpcasing, but anyhow we should be able to see the wheel handle. I`m still looking.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1029 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 12:21 »
Tore, this morning I was able to track/trace the outlets for the CW pump. The shape and the layout of the pipe suggest two outlets and two inlets for this pump.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1030 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 12:33 »
Simon.
One leap ahead. ;D  On port side is a pipe ( yellow on the photo below) going vertically from below the exhaustmanifoldup to the top following the pressurehull all the way to starboard side where it enters the heatexchanger via a valve. I assume this must be the yellow pipe on the systemsketch below. Again I assume somewhere underneath the exhaustmanifold there would be a connection via  to the enginedrive coolingwaterpump via a valve.
Tore

Tore, is the heat exchanger in U-995 original German? As I have never seen anything like this in any war-time photo's.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1031 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 12:57 »
Simon
Colingwater outlets.
 The outlets looks fine to me :D
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1032 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 13:03 »
Simon.
One leap ahead. ;D  On port side is a pipe ( yellow on the photo below) going vertically from below the exhaustmanifold up to the top following the pressurehull all the way to starboard side where it enters the heatexchanger via a valve. I assume this must be the yellow pipe on the systemsketch below. Again I assume somewhere underneath the exhaustmanifold there would be a connection via  to the enginedrive cooling waterpump via a valve.
Tore

Tore, is the heat exchanger in U-995 original German? As I have never seen anything like this in any war-time photo's.
Simon.
One leap ahead. ;D  On port side is a pipe ( yellow on the photo below) going vertically from below the exhaustmanifold up to the top following the pressurehull all the way to starboard side where it enters the heatexchanger via a valve. I assume this must be the yellow pipe on the systemsketch below. Again I assume somewhere underneath the exhaustmanifold there would be a connection via  to the enginedrive cooling waterpump via a valve.
Tore

Simon
Heathexchanger.
I believe it is the original. It is really a straight forward oldfashioned tube heatexchanger  not the modern plate exchanger used today.
Tore
« Last Edit: 10 Jan , 2013, 13:04 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #1033 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 13:53 »
Very good Simon!
As far as I remember the floorplates were fixed by countersinked screws, I am no100 % sure. Anyhow the plates were fixed, imagine the rattling produced by loose plates.
Tore

"countersinked screws" would match the style the Germans used to fixed the metal cover on the deck. I can imagine the rattling produced by loose plates :D plus the noise of the plates jumping around while a depth charging would not be good ;)

Also this morning I was able to work out the width of the floor in the forward part engine room from original German drawing :) :) Tore can you remember roughly how big a single floor plate was. Were they all the same size or different sizes? I imagine they were small enough for a single person to remove them or did it take two people to remove them?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #1034 on: 10 Jan , 2013, 14:05 »
Simon
Floorplates.
I really can`t remember excactly, howewer I believe they were of different sizes but could be handled by one man.
Tore