Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576200 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #975 on: 05 Jan , 2013, 16:26 »
Heard somewhere that there were 40,000 set of drawings for the Type XXI :o :o
It could very well be, but I believe complicated pipe models were used as well.
Tore

In The U-Boat: The Evolution and Technical History of German Submarines by Eberhard Rossler, were are several pictures of wood models of new bridge conversion.

The US Virginia class was the first US sub to be totally design by CAD, all previous US sub

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #976 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 00:15 »
I remember in the shipyards drawing offices there were fairly large models of pipeline layouts where the various pipes had different colours. A lot of work and materials could be saved by optimising the the design. I was involved in supplying large dieselengines to the shipyards and we made a proposal of the pipings the way we wanted to have the lay out and the yards designed the systems according to their needs within the requirement of the enginebuilder and sent it to the enginebuilder for approval. It would be nice to have such a pipeline model of the VIICs rigth now :D !
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #977 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 11:51 »
Hi Tore

I have run into a problem with the drain valve.

I place the valve at the drain pipe level and run a linkage to the handle that we can see in the Galley. However, to reach the handle in the engine room, its about 1300 mm below the deck and too far to be reach by hand :(

Do you think they place the engine room valve handle higher up the linkage?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #978 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 14:06 »
Simon.
I don`t think so. The main purpose of having  an opening handle in an adjacent room (galley) is to be able to open the engineroom drain valve  from the galley in case the engine room was flooded. Under normal circumstances you could easily open the engineroom bilgevalve by the galleyhandle some 20 cm away. I believe we mostly used the aft bilge drain valve.Thus in spite of the systemsketch I believe this valve was only opened from the galley.
Tore 
« Last Edit: 07 Jan , 2013, 01:29 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #979 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 15:15 »
Simon.
I don`t think so. The main purpose of having  an opening handle in an adjacent room (galley) is to be able to open the engineroom drain valve in from the galley in case the engine room was flooded. Under normal circumstances you could easily open the engineroom bilgevalve by the galleyhandle some 20 cm away. I believe we mostly used the aft bilge drain valve.Thus in spite of the systemsketch I believe this valve was only opened from the galley.
Tore

Thanks, Tore.

• Added Inlet line
  • Added line between the Transfer storage tank manifold and Transfer storage tank 1.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #980 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 23:29 »
Simon.
I like it. A very small detail. Top cover of the coarsefilter for the luboil filling line has a transom with a tophandle. You see a good photo of this detail on u historia engineroom section.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Jan , 2013, 00:14 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #981 on: 06 Jan , 2013, 23:54 »
Simon.
I like it. A very small detail. Top cover of the coursefilter for the luboil filling line has a transom with a tophandle. You see a good photo of this detail on u historia engineroom section.
Tore

Thanks Tore :) :) I had no good photo's of the course filter, so I will add the top handle tomorrow.

I have not be able to locate the main LO Manifold (Valve 'a' & 'a1') but I imagine its between the two coolers & centre line of the boat, Tore can you remember?
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate14.htm

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #982 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 01:12 »
Simon.
Valves a1 and a2.
I guess you are right, between the cooler. I should think these valves got an extension to the floorplates as well.
Tore
« Last Edit: 07 Jan , 2013, 01:30 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #983 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 01:42 »
Coarsefilters.
Just a word on the coarsefilters. These rough filters designed to give minimum of resistance, are often installed in supplypipes which takes deliveries from outside the boat in order to protect transferpumps etc from " nuts and bolts" entering the system. Sometimes we got impurities particulary when fueling which really were nuts and bolts, so it was highly justfied to have these filters.
Tore

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #984 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 07:48 »
 ;D  Hey!
Are you going to do the plumbing for the Head too?!!? Or have you already done that? LOL....
Regards,
Dan

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #985 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 08:28 »
Hi Dan!
The plumbing of the heads is very simple although not so easy to understand sometimes for some visitors.  We had a few blowback incidents with ladies during coctailparties on board in spite of giving detailed explanations of the plumbing ;D .
Tore
« Last Edit: 08 Jan , 2013, 06:10 by tore »

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #986 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 12:16 »
 ;D  Hi!
As they alawys told me" If all else fails, follow the instructions!" :-[
Regards,
Dan

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #987 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 12:55 »
Tore, just double checking, the LO gear pump is attach to the front of the engine.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #988 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 13:12 »
Simon.
Yes.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #989 on: 07 Jan , 2013, 13:20 »
Sad news Tore. I think I gone as far as I can on the original German pipe layout and arrangement with the information & drawing I have. From this point forward all new piping I add to the engine room will be best educated guess.

For me to get any more accurate layout and arrangement we need either a few days within U-995 (with the floor remove) or original German plans.