Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576713 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #915 on: 27 Dec , 2012, 22:24 »
Engine lubricating oil system

A total redraw of the pipe between the Engine lubricating oil manifold and the Collecting Tank.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #916 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 01:22 »
Simon.
As usual the drawings are first class. The luboilsystem might be a bit tricky as there are so many alternatives. It might be easier to take the system step by step, starting with the basics..
Below is a colour sketch of the basic system leaving temporarely the secondary systems out. It looks to me as if you have introduced the luboilsentrifuge systems into the luboilsystem having pipes going through the manholecovers of the luboil systemtanks.  I am not sure if the pipes were fitted on the cover. May be you should try to make a layer with the basics first and then add the other alternative systems later.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #917 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 01:58 »
Simon.
Luboil connections main engine.
Below is a crossection drawing of the main engine showing how the internal luboil system works. A luboilpipe on the outboard side, (not interfering with the crankcase doors) leads oil through drillings in the A frames (red) to the main bearings where it goes through drillings in the crankshaft to the crankpin bearings, then down in the crankcase bottom and drains via the lowest point fore and aft to the external drainsystem. Hopefully you are able to trace the external supplypipe along the engine, unfortunately I don`t have any picture showing same.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #918 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 10:30 »
Simon.
As usual the drawings are first class. The luboilsystem might be a bit tricky as there are so many alternatives. It might be easier to take the system step by step, starting with the basics..
Below is a colour sketch of the basic system leaving temporarely the secondary systems out. It looks to me as if you have introduced the luboilsentrifuge systems into the luboilsystem having pipes going through the manholecovers of the luboil systemtanks.  I am not sure if the pipes were fitted on the cover. May be you should try to make a layer with the basics first and then add the other alternative systems later.
Tore

Thanks Tore, the colour map is very useful! It help me to understand and make sence of it :) :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #919 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 10:31 »
Simon.
Luboil connections main engine.
Below is a crossection drawing of the main engine showing how the internal luboil system works. A luboilpipe on the outboard side, (not interfering with the crankcase doors) leads oil through drillings in the A frames (red) to the main bearings where it goes through drillings in the crankshaft to the crankpin bearings, then down in the crankcase bottom and drains via the lowest point fore and aft to the external drainsystem. Hopefully you are able to trace the external supplypipe along the engine, unfortunately I don`t have any picture showing same.
Tore

Again a big thanks! I was wondering how this work :) :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #920 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 11:42 »
Luboil connections main engine

Tore, is the green arrow is...
  • 'b' Pressure reducing valve, 3 > 1.5 atmospheres or....
  • 'h' Relief valve?
And the orange arrow is the 'Thermometer' ???

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570Plate14.htm

Source: U-995 DVD http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #921 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 11:55 »

Q2. On the plate 14 the 'Luboil connections main engine' line connect to the supercharger, this is incorrect?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #922 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 11:58 »
Simon.
The luboil pipes on fwrd engine is a challenge. I cannot remember every details and don`t have  many pictures so I have to make some guesses. Down below is my idea of the system, feel free to change it as I`m not 100% sure, but may be you are able to follow the pipes on other photos.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #923 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 12:19 »
Simon.
The valve indicated by you with green arrow is wrongly marked as "filter" on the U-historia photos so don`t get confused. As can be seen on my picture above I believe this migth be the pump relief ( safety) valve marked "h" on my colourmarked systemdrawing. The colours on the drawings should match the colourindication on the photo.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #924 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 12:49 »
Simon.

Q2. On the plate 14 the 'Luboil connections main engine' line connect to the supercharger, this is incorrect?

Simon.
Contrary to the MAN turbocharger system, having a separate luboilsystem, the GW engine having a mechanical supercharger takes luboil from the enginesystem indicated on the sketch below . On the fwd end is a torsional vibrationdamper which needs luboil from the system as well,  might get it from main bearingsupply no 1 through drilling in the crankshaft. Drain from vibrationdamper yellow marked on systemdrawing below.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #925 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 18:34 »
Simon.

Simon.
Contrary to the MAN turbocharger system, having a separate luboilsystem, the GW engine having a mechanical supercharger takes luboil from the enginesystem indicated on the sketch below . On the fwd end is a torsional vibrationdamper which needs luboil from the system as well,  might get it from main bearingsupply no 1 through drilling in the crankshaft. Drain from vibrationdamper yellow marked on systemdrawing below.
Tore

Have not idea how luboilsystem was contacted to the supercharger, so left this end of the pipe open for now.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #926 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 18:43 »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #927 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 23:45 »
Simon.
It looks OK to me. When you fit the charging air receiver  below the exhaust receiver you probably don`t see much of it, but it is there.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #928 on: 28 Dec , 2012, 23:50 »
Simon.
Below is my indication of the luboil pipes on the Roots blower ( supercharger). The system contains a double cone frictionclutch as well which needs luboil.
Tore
« Last Edit: 29 Dec , 2012, 10:49 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #929 on: 29 Dec , 2012, 00:33 »
Roots blower.
Below is a sketch showing the working of the blower. On the end you have a geardrive accurately timed so the rotors don`t touch. This gearbox needs the luboil supply.
On the photo you see a modern version beltdriven. Even today they have the external oil supply pipes.
Tore