Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576513 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #825 on: 09 Dec , 2012, 21:29 »
http://www.360cities.net/image/submarine-u-995-machine-room#268.60,11.26,110.0

Tore, a while ago we had a discuss about fuel filter and which one was a original fuel German filter.

Would you go for port or starboard?

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #826 on: 09 Dec , 2012, 23:21 »
http://www.360cities.net/image/submarine-u-995-machine-room#268.60,11.26,110.0

Tore, a while ago we had a discuss about fuel filter and which one was a original fuel German filter.

Would you go for port or starboard?

Simon.
I would go for port, but that`s pure guesswork from my side.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #827 on: 10 Dec , 2012, 07:41 »
Simon.
Reverting to your drawing of the main ventconnection for saddle fuel/ballast tank 4 stb.and port. The intermediate valve is a blocking gatevalve for each saddle fuel/ballast tank permanently shut when in fuelmode. In view of a possible risk for somebody to ship this valve, I believe the wheel was removed.
Tore
Simon.
The blocking gatevalve is a special design as can be seen on the picture below. When open it retracts the disc ( wedge) 100% in the valve housing on top of the valve which mean the valvehousing is very high. The advantage is that when open it has a full flow passage as the valve disc is out of the way. For your drawing it means that the valvehousing looks like the photo below.

Fixed. Thanks, Tore.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec , 2012, 12:50 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #828 on: 10 Dec , 2012, 14:32 »
Simon.
Reverting to your drawing of the main ventconnection for saddle fuel/ballast tank 4 stb.and port. The intermediate valve is a blocking gatevalve for each saddle fuel/ballast tank permanently shut when in fuelmode. In view of a possible risk for somebody to ship this valve, I believe the wheel was removed.
Tore
Simon.
The blocking gatevalve is a special design as can be seen on the picture below. When open it retracts the disc ( wedge) 100% in the valve housing on top of the valve which mean the valvehousing is very high. The advantage is that when open it has a full flow passage as the valve disc is out of the way. For your drawing it means that the valvehousing looks like the photo below.

Fixed. Thanks, Tore.

I have update the valves to more closely match the valve found on U-534.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #829 on: 10 Dec , 2012, 14:52 »
Simon.
Excellent!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #830 on: 10 Dec , 2012, 21:50 »
Hi Tore

Here a update on the fuel system. I choose not to add the long fuel supply line in the top view as it cover up to much great detail so you can see the pipe opening at the forward end of the engine.

• Added the outlet pipe to the knife filters.
  • Added the inlet pipes to the Fuel Pumps.
  • Change fuel line to steel.
  • Added fuel filters.
  • Added colour codes.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #831 on: 11 Dec , 2012, 00:46 »
Simon.
It looks good. Realizing you no doubt are aware of the details I nevertheless mention:
As previously discussed the fuelcollecting box I believe should be almost the size of the hight oft the camshaft cover and the endcover of the exhaustmanifold has a relief valve. See picture below.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #832 on: 11 Dec , 2012, 01:40 »
Fuel/ballast saddletanks gatevalve.
As you see on the photo of U 534, the gatevalve obviously was shipped from another location, hence the linkage seen on the picture. However as
U 534 is IX we cannot assume the same on a VIIC. I guess till you have evidence otherwise it is better to leave the valve as you have drawn it. ;)
Tore
« Last Edit: 11 Dec , 2012, 06:15 by tore »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #833 on: 11 Dec , 2012, 06:30 »
Simon.
Main drain valve.
From the amazing photos of U 534 is another component revealed, the details of the remote controlled main drain bottom valve. As can be seen from the photo below the valve is placed at the very bottom of the bilge, has as flanged suction pipestub and a rodconnection to the handle having a bevelgear connection to a shaft going through the bulkhead. The bevelgear is probably not applicable to the VIICs though.
Tore

« Last Edit: 11 Dec , 2012, 06:34 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #834 on: 11 Dec , 2012, 10:31 »
Fuel/ballast saddletanks gatevalve.
As you see on the photo of U 534, the gatevalve obviously was shipped from another location, hence the linkage seen on the picture. However as
U 534 is IX we cannot assume the same on a VIIC. I guess till you have evidence otherwise it is better to leave the valve as you have drawn it. ;)
Tore

Hi Tore

I also noted this linkage yesterday while updating my drawing. I search the few Type IX's plans I have to see if I could found a reason why they added a linkaga. I don't have the detail plan to tell why :(

Simon

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #835 on: 11 Dec , 2012, 11:04 »
Simon.
Main drain valve.
From the amazing photos of U 534 is another component revealed, the details of the remote controlled main drain bottom valve. As can be seen from the photo below the valve is placed at the very bottom of the bilge, has as flanged suction pipestub and a rodconnection to the handle having a bevelgear connection to a shaft going through the bulkhead. The bevelgear is probably not applicable to the VIICs though.
Tore

Hi Tore

Great spotting!

I will update my drawing to more closely match the photo

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #836 on: 11 Dec , 2012, 11:54 »
Simon
Your drawings are really going to be a proper documentation with the painstaking patience and work you put into the accuracy of the details. There is an explanation and a reason why the details look as they do and that a valve is not just a valve placed at random,  your drawings shall tell the story.
Tore
« Last Edit: 12 Dec , 2012, 08:55 by tore »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #837 on: 12 Dec , 2012, 18:40 »
Simon.
Crankcase doors.
Now we are really going into details, but I happened to notice some small discrepancies on your bedplate/ crankcasedoors. As you see on the picture below, the stiffening knees between the crankcasedoors are ending a bit higher up between the doors and the narrow end cover up forward is protruding further down than the ordinary crankcase doors. The narrow frontcover is just a plate. Crayzy details hardly noticed by anybody but mee.  ;D
Tore

• Corrected crank case doors alignment.
  • Corrected crank case doors bolts layout.
  • Corrected stiffening knees alignment and spacing.
  • Corrected engine bolts alignment.
  • Corrected engine plate thickness from 20 mm to 24 mm (original German measurement).
  • Corrected engine casting alignment and outlay.

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #838 on: 13 Dec , 2012, 01:49 »
Simon
Bedplate
Very good! This is really a ridiculous detailremark, But have you noticed the stiffening knees between the crankcasedoors are a bit higher than the others? See below.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #839 on: 13 Dec , 2012, 02:17 »
Simon
Bedplate
Very good! This is really a ridiculous detailremark, But have you noticed the stiffening knees between the crankcasedoors are a bit higher than the others? See below.
Tore

Tore, I believe this is a small different between the F46a6p and the F46a9p. I believe they are all the same size on the F46a6p. I initially base my drawing from the photo of the F46a9p and today while updating my drawing I check the original German drawings and compare it with the photo of the F46a9p and I noted a few little differences.