Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 576688 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #630 on: 12 Nov , 2012, 13:08 »
Hi Tore

While updating the drawing this morning, I noted that I had this rocker arm the wrong way around for the starboard side :( Correct layout below.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #631 on: 12 Nov , 2012, 13:17 »
Hi Tore

Can you remember how the rocker arm base was attached to the head? I can see one large bolt in the front, are there any other bolts holding it down?

Thanks, Simon.

Simon. As previously said the rocker arm pedestal sit on the top of the recess for the inboard cylindercover short studs so no fixingstuds can be place there. On the top of the cover is an "ear" protruding inboard and outside the cover. In this ear is a hole for the rocker pedestal basestud of some 20-25mm I believe. You can clearly see the "ear" with hole underneath on Kubische Panorama. On the other side probably a little closer to the pedestal centerline you got to have a similar stud, but that is a bit hard to be seen. Don`t be fooled by the small nuts for the guide positionscrews clearly to be seen. It might be there is a better quality overheadsketch somewhere to be seen.
Tore

Thanks, Tore.

I can see the outer bolt (purple), it

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #632 on: 12 Nov , 2012, 13:55 »
Hi Tore

While updating the drawing this morning, I noted that I had this rocker arm the wrong way around for the starboard side :( Correct layout below.

Yes Simon.
For each stb cylinder on camshaftside from aft to fwd: inletvalve rod, HP fuelpump,starting rod, indicatorcock, fuelsupply bend to HP fuelpump and exhaustvalve rod.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #633 on: 12 Nov , 2012, 14:38 »
Simon two more pictures unfortunately of the same thing, I can`t see the other stud. I`ll sleep on it may be I get some idea tomorrow morning.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #634 on: 12 Nov , 2012, 15:26 »
Hi Tore

A couple of questions about the exhaust.
  • What is the flange in the middle of the main exhaust pipe for?
  • Why is there a small pipe that link between the two bigger exhaust pipes?
Thanks, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #635 on: 12 Nov , 2012, 19:09 »
Hi Tore

Found a small error on the exhaust flange which I have fixed this afternoon. Also no drawing tomorrow as I am off to work tomorrow, will post a big update on my drawing very soon.

Simon

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #636 on: 13 Nov , 2012, 00:49 »
Hi Tore

A couple of questions about the exhaust.
  • What is the flange in the middle of the main exhaust pipe for?
  • Why is there a small pipe that link between the two bigger exhaust pipes?
Thanks, Simon.

Simon.
The exhaustmanifold is a fairly complicated doublewall ( allowing for the coolingspace ) cast piece. It is split into two parts as the cylinderblock, and bolted together by a flange in the middle. The coolingwater from the two parts is blocked by the flange and has to be bypassed by the coolingwater bend.
At the fwd end of the exhaustmanifold is a reliefvalve and a pipeflange which  is the pipe connection to the suctionside of the coolingwater pump  allowing warm water return to the system. See drawing. Don`t take the system sketch as drawn it`s merely a principle rather than a workingdrawing as you see.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
    • Torpedo Vorhaltrechner Project
« Reply #637 on: 13 Nov , 2012, 02:36 »
Hi Tore

I have got some off-topic question. I know, that on KNM Kaura were some electric power points (outlets), which were connected to the boat's electric network (lightning circuit, which was powered by 110 V - despite of battery output voltage changes - by means of automatic voltage regulator). What kind of equipment could be connected to these outlets?

And one more question - do you remember, what kind of electronic device is it? It is located in the forward part of control room, at port site.

Is it German, war-time? Was it installed, when U-995 served in Norwegian Navy?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #638 on: 13 Nov , 2012, 04:53 »
Hi Tore

I have got some off-topic question. I know, that on KNM Kaura were some electric power points (outlets), which were connected to the boat's electric network (lightning circuit, which was powered by 110 V - despite of battery output voltage changes - by means of automatic voltage regulator). What kind of equipment could be connected to these outlets?

And one more question - do you remember, what kind of electronic device is it? It is located in the forward part of control room, at port site.

Is it German, war-time? Was it installed, when U-995 served in Norwegian Navy?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Hi Maciek
I`m not sure I understand you question 100%. If you mean outlet in living quarters, we had very few. Some could be used for transportable lamps but really no uncontrolled electric consumption occurred. We did not have any personal electric devices in those days. I t might be that later somebody installed outlets for waterheater and charging of electric razors. The only outlet we installed in my time was bulbs in the cabinets for protecting our best uniforms to go mouldy. I do not believe the germans originally had many outlet for personal use.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #639 on: 13 Nov , 2012, 05:06 »
Maciek
Electronics in the control room. I`m a bit out of my field right now, but I believe the electronic stack next to the navigation table contains mainly the S- geraet (Sondergeraet fuer Aktive Schallortung ) active Sonar and KBD (Kristall Drehbasisgeraet) passive turnable crystal hydrophones which is passive Sonar. The equipment was indeed very much used by us as originally installed. Later however I  believe they installed the  Balcon Geraet which probably would required another electronic stack.
Tore
« Last Edit: 13 Nov , 2012, 06:45 by tore »

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #640 on: 13 Nov , 2012, 08:39 »
I`m not sure I understand you question 100%. If you mean outlet in living quarters, we had very few. Some could be used for transportable lamps but really no uncontrolled electric consumption occurred. We did not have any personal electric devices in those days. I t might be that later somebody installed outlets for waterheater and charging of electric razors. The only outlet we installed in my time was bulbs in the cabinets for protecting our best uniforms to go mouldy. I do not believe the germans originally had many outlet for personal use.
Well, this is what I wanted to know. I was wondering, if other devices (other than lamps and ie electric heaters) were in use - for example electrically power tools (I know, there were pneumatic driven, but this is example). What kind of outlets were they? Domestic type (with some water protection)?

--
Thanks, regards
Maciek

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #641 on: 13 Nov , 2012, 10:08 »
Hi Maciek.
I cannot remember we had any electric power tools except for a drill, I guess they were splashproof very much domestic types, but that could be norwegian installed, hard to say though as we use DIN standard as well. We used sometimes pneumatic tools. Otherwise I really cannot remember we used the few outlets very much.
Tore

Offline SnakeDoc

• Admiral
« Reply #642 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 08:38 »
Tore,
Electronics in the control room. I`m a bit out of my field right now, but I believe the electronic stack next to the navigation table contains mainly the S- geraet (Sondergeraet fuer Aktive Schallortung ) active Sonar and KBD (Kristall Drehbasisgeraet) passive turnable crystal hydrophones which is passive Sonar. The equipment was indeed very much used by us as originally installed. Later however I  believe they installed the  Balcon Geraet which probably would required another electronic stack.

It's interesting. So on board of KNM Kaura were installed both S-Ger

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #643 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 09:04 »
Simon.
I don`t know how many details your next drawing would incorporate but trying to be a bit ahead I wonder if you have noticed the small cylinder between ME Cylinder 1 and 2. It looks almost like a HP fuelpump and is difficult to see. The cylinder is placed on a driptray on top of the camshaft casing having drainagepipe and on top of the cylinder is a handle. Unfortunately you don`t see any pipeconnection. I cannot say I remember this item but I believe it is a so called knifefilter for fueloil supply. The handle on the top is a handle for a brush inside the filter turning the handle cleans the filter. The reason for this extra filter in addition to the dual filters next to the fuel supplypump at the manoeuvring stand would be if the fuelsupply pump should fail you can by means of the threeway cocks at the stand, shortcut the system ( including the dual filter) and take
the fuelsupply from the daytank by gravity and you would need an extra filter in the supplyline to the HP pumps. I guess we shall get into that when your drawing comes to the the pipesystem. Anyhow just an info prior to you complete your present drawing. Below some photos trying to show these filters.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #644 on: 14 Nov , 2012, 09:13 »
In addition to the above. Unfortunately there are no correct drawings of the pipings on the engines, the systemdrawings keep showing the fuelsupply pump is driven from the camshaft drive aft wheraes the pump is driven from the crankshaft fwd.
Tore